Wild or Captive Poll

Wild or Captive

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Going by the quality of some of your stuff, I'll go for wild.;)

Headshot's like this you see online, are 99.9% of the time captive as getting that close in the wild is pretty hard, specially when you see some of the pics online are took at 200mm for example :D
I take shots of a wild little owl at 200mm ,it can be done in fact I have done it from 10 feet with a 17-55 lens not hard really just a bit of field craft and a lot of patience .

I take shots of a wild little owl at 200mm ,it can be done in fact I have done it from 10 feet with a 17-55 lens not hard really just a bit of field craft and a lot of patience .

Thats what I said in my post, can be done but its harder, the head shots of birds make it look faker IMHO, if you include the entire bird and a perch it makes the image far nicer IMHO

It looks a captive shot ,but I am not sure why Mark is asking ,because as you say 99% of these type of shots are of captive birds shot at 200mm or less ,if mark said he took it with a 200mmm I would say captive but if he said at 600mm I would say it could be wild ,more info would help me decide .

If I were to make a choice I would go with wild.The reason being if it was captive then you may have had more time to check the highlights and adjusted to suite. Well you did ask :D

With a photo like this it really doesn't matter whether wild or captive - But there's no option in your poll to vote that way.

Surely the final photo is all about it being a great image and nothing to do with how clever the photographer was in stalking and getting close, nor how much he paid to use a hide and a setup scene. So, in my opinion, it doesn't matter whether wild or captive - It's simply not what I make judgements about on any photograph.

Personally I much prefer a wildlife photo which doesn't show beyond any doubt that the subject is captive, as indeed this one falls into that category of not knowing if wild or captive. So I like it.

Looks very clean and well fed so I would guess captive; but...........

I would go captive and if I was being critical, I would say it is a shame that the birds eye isn't catching the light a little better.

Whilst I am no expert, I cant see any tell-tails in the image to suggest one way or the other, so unless someone can enlighten me, I am struggling to see the point of this poll?!

Last edited:
Well it was a close run thing but those who voted and commented on this being a wild bird were-CORRECT. This was a bird which landed just outside a reflection pool I was using for some photography. It sat for a moment or two then came a bit closer and jumped into the pool for a long bath.

I thought that the closeness of the bird would throw many off and it seems I was correct. Often a captive and a wild bird can be in very different conditions including the feather but the tail feathers seem to be a clue as well hence why I didn't let people see that in this pic.

Do I get a prize for being the first right answer?

So other than the fact the bird was close, there is nothing to 'deduce from studying the image'?!

Back