Wild Sea - ( photo added)

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Ventured to a spot known as the black hole, Craster, Northumberland this morning. Misty start with dull grey skies. The sea was incredible. I had to wait about an hour for the tide to recede a little before I could set my gear up due to the crashing waves. I couldn't get to the best vantage points as I didn't have the b@lls to even try due to the enormity of the waves. Hope you like my effort.

your weather was obviously better than ours down here in London! did you use a filter for that?

I do like that. The near blown whites really add to the vibrance of the image. Good stuff.

your weather was obviously better than ours down here in London! did you use a filter for that?
I used 3 filters. 2 stop ND to slow the shutter speed, 2 stop hard grad for the sky and a reversed 3 stop hard grad for the white water.

I really like it, the water rushing over the foreground with another wave rolling in across the middle of the image gives a real feeling of being there. If it was mine I would possibly warm it up a tad.

This is an excellent shot, really like the drama. My only negative would be the rock in the bottom right corner distracts slightly.

That's a great shot Ken, good composition, movement in the water is nice, and it's nice and sharp where it needs to be.(y)

George.

Love it. I especially like the 'frozen' wave. It almost looks like brush strokes

Thanks for the comments everyone. I understand what people are saying about the rock in the bottom right corner. I have already cropped a lot of foreground rock out and didn't want to crop anymore. Between the main rock formation and where I was positioned it's quite a deep gulley /ravine where all the white water is flowing and I didn't want to lose that.

if you've got Photoshop you could try warping it to drag that corner out and lose the rock. Love the image, but for me there's a yellow colour cast around the main rock and waves...noticeable in the water having a yellow colour. What adjustments did you make there?? If you used a curves or levels adjustment layer in photoshop try changing the blending mode to luminosity...might get rid of the cast??

Thanks Karl. I use capture one for processing. I will have a look and see if I can find the equivalent and have a try.

Absolute cracker - great conditions.

Maybe a crop to reduce the amount of sky and increase the sea by ratio - not an awful lot going on in the sky to warrant that much of the image? Just an idea...

Very nice Ken just my kind of thing.

Always be careful of big seas like this freak waves happen and people lose.

Excellent image , very powerful ,

Thanks for the feed back and comments, very much appreciated.

take a chunk of sky out and that fabulous rock cluster with dominate a bit more
cheers
geof

Wow.
Love this!

I'm going to have another go at editing this. I use a mac book air 13" with Capture one pro 8 software. This only gives me a small window to actually edit in. I have a spare 24" monitor from my sons windows PC upstairs. I am going to try and hook this up to the mac. i will post the results when I get the time.
Once again Thanks for the comments.

Another one from that mornings shoot from a different angle...

Two fantastic shots there Ken, you can almost feel the power and hear the waves, really like them.

Thanks Ade. It was deafening.

Question. Why is the cool tones not uniform in the frame. Loom at towards the top right. The water lapping over the rocks has lost the cool tones of the rest of the image?
That's due to my editing. I didn't notice it until it was mentioned earlier as I only have a 13" mac laptop. I mentioned earlier that I will revisit this with a larger monitor and have another go. I just didn't quite get the mask right and needs a bit more effort. I will post the re-edit when I get the chance.

Reactions: ST4
Another cracker Ken.
I too would have them printed rather large.

Ken a pair of cracking shots, regarding crit I think it's all been said, I didn't notice the tinged aura around the rock at first till someone mentioned it. I think the most important thing here is you have the images! Damn well shot if I may say so! Faffing around getting the PP right is secondary! Get that monitor sorted out mate, I never realised how different everything looks under a (big) calibrated screen (i1 display pro for your Christmas list your photos deserve it).
Superb use of filters here if I may say so ( did you have windscreen wiper option fitted :))
I think your think bit of rock in the bottom RH will clone out no problem.

Very dramatic, excellent composition, cracking shots, well done mate!

Last edited:
Lovely shots, thanks for sharing. Wish we had some seascapes like that around here!

Once again, many thanks for the comments everyone. The sea was extremely wild that morning. the roar of the waves crashing was like the space shuttle taking off.

Back