Wilkinson cameras

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone used or know much about wilkinson cameras? What is there service like and how good they are? Seem to be the cheapest a friend can can find a 70d with the 18-55 STM lens for other than a grey import.

You don't say what their price is, but is it cheaper than the Camera Pricebuster one at the link below? Remember there is a £100 cashback deal on just now, so your friend has to check whether they are quoting the price correctly. Some retailers have been known to quote the price after cashback, but CPB quotes the price before for comparison purposes. And don't forget that John Lewis generally give a 2 year warranty as well.
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Canon/Canon-Digital-SLRs/Canon-EOS-70D-With-18-55mm-IS-STM-Lens
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Canon/Canon-Digital-SLRs/Canon-EOS-70D-With-18-55mm-IS-STM-Lens

Last edited:
I have walked into a few of their stores and bought items from them and I find them good to buy from.

Has anyone used or know much about wilkinson cameras? What is there service like and how good they are? Seem to be the cheapest a friend can can find a 70d with the 18-55 STM lens for other than a grey import.

Yes several times and excellent service, local stores and staff (most) tend to know what they are talking about. They are well priced, but not always the cheapest - I have found though, they won't price match very often to other stores...

I've not used their on line service, but have phoned and if they've not got it in my local brach, they'll either tell you which branch has it if you are after it very quick, or can have it transferred to them in a few days...

You don't say what their price is, but is it cheaper than the Camera Pricebuster one at the link below? Remember there is a £100 cashback deal on just now, so your friend has to check whether they are quoting the price correctly. Some retailers have been known to quote the price after cashback, but CPB quotes the price before for comparison purposes. And don't forget that John Lewis generally give a 2 year warranty as well.

They are doing it for £949 plus £50 cash back themselves so after all the cash back from them and cannon total end price works out at £799

Been to a couple of local stores. Good service and shops in my opinion. The manager in Southport (her name escapes me) is extremely helpful and friendly, they may not be cheapest but they always tend to have what i want there and then :LOL:

Been to a couple of local stores. Good service and shops in my opinion. The manager in Southport (her name escapes me) is extremely helpful and friendly, they may not be cheapest but they always tend to have what i want there and then :LOL:

Sara - used to be Blackburn's manager and she"a very good and very helpful. Knows her stuff as well - really pleased when she got the Southport job,

I went with my friend to Wilkinsons in Lord Street Liverpool, I think they are only based in the North/North West. The sales staff are friendly enough, I recognised one as a former Jessops employee and another a former Currys employee. My mate bought the X20 off them, and they would not price match Currys. But to be fair Currys did not have it in stock, otherwise we would of bought it in their as it was £20 quid cheaper.

The service from them was good as was their knowledge of Camera's, even though they did try the sales patter on, what other bit's do you need, oh and you should get your new Camera insured etc.

I bought my 7D from them. At the time they were the cheapest in the UK by some margin, not quite matching DigitalRev et al, but they were bundling in a free 580 EX2 flashgun which by using "man-maths" to justify the purchase made the camera cheaper than DigitalRev etc at the time.

The new Liverpool shop is good. The staff in all stores seem to know the basics of everything they sell, but not always the finest deatils of say - how the 5D3 focus system works. But then most owners don't know that either!
They carry a good range and if they don't have it can order it for you, but they only have one delivery per store per week, unless you want to pay extra shipping costs!
The biggest bugbear is that they are not always the cheapest, and they hardly ever price match. But they are a high street presence.
The Southport store is a Canon Pro shop, and also the Nikon equivalent. This seems to be a hang over from the previous owners (Waddingtons) and doesn't seem to confer any great technical expertise in store. They just send it off for you!

Last edited:
The new Liverpool shop is good. The staff in all stores seem to know the basics of everything they sell, but not always the finest deatils....

The biggest bugbear is that they are not always the cheapest, and they hardly ever price match. But they are a high street presence.

Yes it's good having a physical Camera shop, it's nice to go in and have a good look and feel. Feels like a proper Camera shop, just a pain having to wait for a member of staff to open the cabinets to get at the Cameras. Gets awkward when you want to touch and feel loads of Cameras. But I think Camera shops of old, always did have Cameras locked away in cabinets.

Wilkinson's are a long established company, so you should have no worries. They have 10 shops based around the N & NW of England. I use them as much as poss. (would hate to lose my local store)

Last edited:
My local store used them a lot no problems and when I got my 70-200lf4is I was there for ages trying out and other lens

My first dslr kit was from Wilkinson and it was a nice smooth transaction.

They're a real UK company with real shops and real equipment you can handle in the shops and they create employment and pay taxes. Generally good service. Generally pretty keen pricing. Use 'em or lose 'em.

Last edited:
Bought my Canon 24-70 from them, no complaints whatsoever :)

got my D3100 from the Liverpool shop, staff very helpful, done one of their courses last week

We have one in my hometown they're great and have great in store service but other than the display item they never have stock. The Carlisle store only gets a delivery on a friday so if you go in on a monday and its out of stock you'll have to wait :(

Ive tried to support my local camera which is wilkinsons but feel i can't because of this service and the fact they are usually more expensive than Wex/Amazon etc

Back