Will a nice CF card speed up my camera?

Edit My Images
No
Hi i'm new here :)

I have a question about CF cards. I use a 400d in RAW mode on continuous shooting and find that after a burst of 5 or 6 photos it takes almost 4x as long for them to go to the CF card as it does to take them in the first place!

Will upgrading to a Sandisk Extreme III CF card speed things up a bit? or am i better off saving my pennies?

possibly, the first few quick shots are buffer, after that it writes to card, a faster card will make it write faster so less of a lag there. But won't give you a bigger buffer

really how much of a difference depends on what you use now

I have a 400D and a selection of both II's and III's. You're limited by the buffer in the camera, however the III has a faster transfer rate and therefore the buffer empties quicker. BUT I can't say I've ever noticed and difference between the cards in my camera. Copying off the III cards to the pc is however faster than copying off a II.
(I have posted, now watch this thread die)

Could well speed things up. I find that I can burst for around 2 seconds on the 400d. 5 or 6 photos sounds way too low.

Just did a test. Set to manual, time 1/200, I took 12 pictures before the camera paused. This was shooting in RAW
A total of 91MB written. This is to a lexar platinum II card, rated at 80x

If you need to shoot more frames at full speed the alternative is to drop down to a smaller file size - I find jpegs are more than adequate fo show jumping pictures of my daughter. (in fact on the D90 high quality jpegs are stunning!)

Hi thanks the card i'm using at the moment is a 8gb Silicon Power 45x Compact Flash

All i'm really after is that the files are written to the card and out of the way a bit quicker so i can carry on shooting without the "busy" message.

Back