Will old SLR lens work in new DSLR

probably!!

Can't be more help, someone else will be in a minute though.

the d5000 dosnt have an autofocus motor in it so the lenses will need manual focusing ,,
not sure about the metering though

IIRC, both of the lenses need the AF motor in the body so they will not AF on the D5000 (or the 40 and 60). On top of that, I don't think Jessops take trade ins any more.

Try this chart to see what your lenses will do. Not sure if a trade in will give you the best price. If you can sell to someone with a full frame DSLR, you might do better.

I think Jessops stopped doing trade ins a few years ago, and whilst some retailers do, I bet you'd get more by selling on Ebay or via a forum such as this or via your local camera club.

I think the D80 has a built in focus motor, and these were superceded recently by the D90. Its still a good camera.

.... I think the D80 has a built in focus motor, and these were superceded recently by the D90. Its still a good camera.

It's a great camera (<<< un-biased opinion there :whistle: ). Unsure if the D90 was the D80's direct successor though, but yes, it has the internal motor for AF-D lenses and the like, and has a few bits of D200 technology inside it to boot (y)

Thanks to all of you for your help

cheviot- That was a brilliant link you posted thanks, told me everything I need to know which is that they will work in Program, Shutter-preferred, Aperture-preferred and Manual exposure modes.

MScotts- I have not made my mind up yet........D80 could still be an option, would it be suitable for me (a beginner!) ?

If it's definately Nikon you're going for, you could do a lot worse than plumping for a D80. It's got a fair few more bells & whistles compared to the D40/D60/D5000 ilk, but you should still maintain the same/similar learning curve from it when learning the basics, plus the lenses that started this thread should work well with it (if AF-D, they'll autofocus).

Then once you're up & running you're unlikely to be hankering to upgrade like some do when using their D40/D60/etc becomes a bit humdrum, as the more advanced side of the D80 will come into play to keep you content for a while longer...

Price tag for the D80 should be pretty good these days, albeit you'd struggle to find a new one but there's plenty of very well looked after ones about. I'm sure others hold different opinions to this, and might recommend the D90 etc, but they would cost you a hell of a lot more which could otherwise be spent on lenses and/or other kit (y)

Back