Willow Warbler

Not again

Derek - did you hear it sing - CC is very different from WW
It has dark legs - All CC have dark legs - some WW have dark legs, but most have pale, if they were pale, it would point to a WW
The WW is a long term migrant - the CC is a shorter term migrant - if you could see the primaries the CC would be shorter, (longer v shorter primary projections) - but you can't see the primary (feathers)

There are a few other subtle differences - when I see one I always think CC unless they have pale legs and I have heard it sing ……. if you hear it sing you know it's a CC as the CC has a very district call/song, that's how they get their name.

Generally the WW does have a whiter breast and below than the CC with a more distinct yellow eye stripe and black one as well ……… as your bird has, but that's not really anything

some sub species are almost impossible to identity

if it was winter N Wales may help as I think the WW shouldn't be there whereas the CC could be

(I read somewhere that there is a very rare variant of a WW that can imitate a CC - but I don't know of anyone who has seen one and you would have to capture it to confirm - in my book anyway)

That's all I know - wish it was another type of Warbler

But in any case it is a very pretty little bird and you have done well to get such a good shot as they never stay still

I can hear a CC now at the back of the back garden area ….. bloody nuisance!!

Last edited:
Bill

Thanks for the comments and info. I took this on Monday this week. Unfortunately a passing lady did say if it would sing she could identify it but it did not.
Unless anyone else can do a positive ID then I will have to say as you one or the other.

Back