Wilton Windmill, Wiltshire

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
It's taken me 3 visits, but yesterday evening I finally got a photo here I feel is worth posting! This was taken around 20 minutes after sunset, when the beautiful oranges and pinks of dusk were sitting behind the windmill. The lights being switched on was a bonus, though I do wish they would either light up it all, or none.
I was lucky to get this composition, there was a big pile of dried up manure, around 13ft high which I clambered up in order to shoot over the bushes. The things we do for the shot eh?
Comments and crit welcomed as always!

Wilton Windmill by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lovely sky and I like the composition, personally I think it might have been better without the lights :)

definitely worth your hassle
Thanks Karen!
It's great. Lovely range of tones. Did you take anything wider at all. I'm not saying its too tight but wouldn't mind seeing something more open
Cheers Steve - I do have wider and tighter versions unedited on the hard drive. Main reason for going in tighter was the lose the distracting ground before the hedge line and to lose a couple of distracting elements.

Reactions: ST4
That's a really pleasing image that 'reeks' of a calm summer evening in the english countryside...I can just imagine going for a couple of vintage ciders after capturing that! ;)

Excellent. Sometimes the farmer hides it behind stacks of hay/straw bales. At other times you can spot it over fields of rape.

Did you shoot it from the end of the lane leading to it?

Excellent. Sometimes the farmer hides it behind stacks of hay/straw bales. At other times you can spot it over fields of rape.

Did you shoot it from the end of the lane leading to it?
Thanks! Yes this is from the little lane that leads to it, where the big bales of hay usually stand.
Jake 'Mountain Goat' Turner strikes again - climbing a pile of pooh to get the shot!

Really nicely done Jake,

Rob
Thanks Rob - needs must and all that! The crap I deal with eh?

Super shot with nice tones to it. Well controlled too, something I need to learn as I tend to over cook stuff like this in PP.

Well done.

Thanks David, the sky did all the work for me here. Definitely a case of less is more when it comes to PP. I tend to only do minor adjustments to my images, I like the natural look to my landscape work.

Beautiful shot Jake, lovely colours and tones..After reading the other posts regarding the tightness of the crop, I would have gone even tighter by about an inch from the right and a half inch off the bottom (perhaps that's why I'm not as good as you!)

Robin

Thats a cracking shot , got to admire the manure climbing - that's commitment !
Cheers Chris!
Beautiful shot Jake, lovely colours and tones..After reading the other posts regarding the tightness of the crop, I would have gone even tighter by about an inch from the right and a half inch off the bottom (perhaps that's why I'm not as good as you!)

Robin
Thanks Robin, I do have some tighter crops too, but I felt this one gave a nice balance!
great image....
Thanks David!

Back