windemere rainbow

big soft moose

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy...
Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken from Low Wray campsite looking towards Troutbeck Bridge a couple of weeks back

low_wray_low_res.jpg

I work for the Trust and was actually there for a two day conference about camping, and had ellected to sleep in my van down by the lakeside. When I woke up to this I was very glad that i'd decided to bring the DLSR with me (y)

Its slightly marred by the white blob - which is actually a very inconveniently placed swan, but what can you do - the rainbow only lasted for a few minuites so waiting for the bird to move wasnt an option - I'll probably clone it out if i decide to print this one

Last edited:
It's a lovely image, but yes....lose the swans lol

As you took the time to find and post the link I will give you my thoughts..

It does nothing for me, and as you have already said the white blobs do ruin it, as do a few other bits in the water
But hang on isn't that what editing programmes are for to correct our stupid mistakes
shrug.gif

As I said in the other thread I know little or nothing about landscape, portrait photography just what I like when I see
it

and @big soft moose I note that I can't expect a reply as despite 2 members taking the trouble to comment you haven't
had the courtesy to acknowledge them :(

I think leaving something for 40 minutes then complaining is a bit much, maybe leave it longer for people to reply to your post before assuming.

I think leaving something for 40 minutes then complaining is a bit much, maybe leave it longer for people to reply to your post before assuming.

Is nearly 2 years long enough for the other posters to wait for an acknowledgement, which is what I was referring too ?

Is nearly 2 years long enough for the other posters to wait for an acknowledgement, which is what I was referring too ?

As i recall I acknowledged ruth's feedback by pm at the time -and to be fair i didnt really expect chris to be expecting a reply as he just made a throwaway remark if I was wrong about that then I offer chris my apologies - however I am not one of these post count accumulators who has to make a seperate post saying thanks to every person who comments - though i will acknowledge and discuss critique if it is given.

Also your point scoring is exactly why I don't post pictures for crit any more - you said you wanted to see one of my pictures (to prove i have a camera and so you could practice your critique skills - however you have instead chosen to make this a petty (and frankly pathetic) point scoring exercise about response times, which is an exact illustration of my prior point about why i don't post for critique)

oh and by the way the reason you didnt get an imediate response is because I have to actually work for a living and this is the first time since early this morning that ive been near my computer. I do apologise if the wait for a response since 2.46pm has been too traumatic for you to bear

Leaving all that b*****ks to one side I would be happy to hear any actual critique from anyone adult enough to offer it. I agree with ruths point that the swans need cloning out, but if anyone has any other pointers for areas of improvement i'd be happy to hear them.

Last edited:
I like the lighting. I don't even mind the swans and blobs, you can remove if need be. Perhaps its the lay of the land but I am not 100% sure it is straight. I suspect you've added a bit more contrast than I would normally choose too, it seems a bit dark for my tastes overall.

Being as it's here I will add my two pence worth. A really nice capture, which you have acknowledged needs further work before the print shop, so no real need for critique.
As for Ingrid's rant, take no notice. Life is too short. :runaway:

You see what us men have to put up with just because that "bloody" woman scoffed that Apple a while ago in some garden or other

I like the lighting. I don't even mind the swans and blobs, you can remove if need be. Perhaps its the lay of the land but I am not 100% sure it is straight. I suspect you've added a bit more contrast than I would normally choose too, it seems a bit dark for my tastes overall.

Thanks for the input steve , you could be right about the level its hard to be absolutely sure but i think it could possibly do with a couple of deg CW rotation - with regard to the darkness and the light I haven't done anything with this, apart from a bit of a crop its pretty much SOOC, it is a bit dark but thats the incoming storm (about 5 mins after i took this all the sunlight went and it absolutely stonked down for about an hour) - likewise although it looks saturated thats what the light was like. I can certainly try and lift it a bit and see (be a few days as i'm away from my main computer)

Being as it's here I will add my two pence worth. A really nice capture, which you have acknowledged needs further work before the print shop, so no real need for critique.
As for Ingrid's rant, take no notice. Life is too short. :runaway:

Many thanks Craig - somewhere arround ive got a copy where i cloned the blobs out - I didnt print it because i wasnt that happy with the clone stamp ( I may try it again now ive got a ore uptodate copy of PSE - at the time this was taken i was still using PSE5 ) .

Last edited:
As you took the time to find and post the link I will give you my thoughts..

It does nothing for me, and as you have already said the white blobs do ruin it, as do a few other bits in the water
But hang on isn't that what editing programmes are for to correct our stupid mistakes
shrug.gif

As I said in the other thread I know little or nothing about landscape, portrait photography just what I like when I see
it

Thanks for you thoughts

And as you said you wanted me to tell you what i thought of your critique - its a fair point, except that I said the swans need cloning out in post in the OP so you arent exactly adding anything new byway of insight there (and i wouldnt charecterise is a stupid mistake.. that kind of inflamatory language does nothing to improve crit... it was a chance shot, and as said in the OP it was shoot it then or not at all... if I had waited for the swans to fly away I'd have totally missed the shot, so i chose to get it with them and to use PP later to sort it out)

Also In terms of crit on crit rather than snide remarks about PP you could demonstrate or at least describe how you'd use an editing program to improve it

Last edited:
With the benefit of hindsight looking back two years, if i were taking this now I might have been tempted to use a ND grad to hold back the sky, and possibly an ND to allow a longer exposure which would have flattened out the water and possibly ghosted the swans. (that would have required me to have a bag of camera kit, my tripod, and cable release - none of which I actually had with me when this was shot - I litterally had a DSLR and one lens)

Also if i could I would choose to shoot it in raw to give more flexibility in processing (this is shot in jpeg fine which is what the camera was set to for documenting the conference)

I could possibly have tried sounding the van horn to scrare the swans away , but a) that aint ethical they have every right to be there , and b) my fellow delegates who were mainly still asleep in surrounding pods and yurts might not have been best impressed.

Last edited:
I probably would go with your ND grad suggestion, its the rhs corner that probably just needed a bit more (and I am talking like a half stop) more light in.

The main thing is the light and colours are pleasant and the composition is sound enough. Re swans, use them in the composition, it would have been really nice if you had the swan closer to the front of the frame.

My thoughts are that there are so many birds, buoys etc on the water, why clone them out, they are part of the scene. Other than that, for me, the rainbow could do with being bigger in the frame so maybe a crop would help??

Other than that, the thing that jumped out at me was TWO DAYS to talk about camping!!!! Blimey, what did they talk about?

Finally, without trying to hijack the thread, I am very new to photography, have only had an slr for a year, am learning loads but have an inherent lack of confidence in the results I get and how I get them. That coupled with the responses that sometimes are given on this forum (the above spat being a good example) I have never posted any of my photos. I know we all have different opinions and thoughts, and that's good, but I do wish that we sometimes thought about how we say things and not just what we say, especially as written word does not convey feeling and intent as well as spoken word. It can at best put people off contributing, at worst it can downright upset them.

Of course, if I do not get a reply in the next two minutes, I will huff off cursing you all.

Other than that, the thing that jumped out at me was TWO DAYS to talk about camping!!!! Blimey, what did they talk about?

actually it was well worth the two days - amongst other things theydiscussed the various economic models for running campsites profitably- something the lake district team do very well, turn key offers on pods and yurts, various licencing arrangements (you can for example run a 28 day offer without planning permission, but if you are using agricultural land it has to be free of livestock for 30 days prior.), there were workshops on various aspects of he busness from marketting, on line booking systems, various ways of dealing with sewage and waste, through to planning logistics , there were site visits to various sites .. it certainly wasnt a waste of time (theres a lot more to running a camp site than taking a feild and sticking a sign up)

Back othe topic of the photo thank you for your thoughts - as regards the swans, bouys etc most of them don't bother me , it basically the one in the middle which is burnt out and seemingly headless.. as regards the crop i'll try but as this was already cropped and it was only a 10MP file to start with there is going to be a limit on how much furher in i can crop - also i don't want to lose the context of the water / sky or it will just be a photo of a rainbow.

Btw i wouldnt be put off posing for critique by the above spat - i'm quite a long term member and have at times been a bit of a cock , partly inconsqeuence of this certain other members will have a pop at me rehardless of the quality or otherwise of the photos i post (the above spilled over from anther thread about the qality of crit - it was a foregone conclusion that these people were hoing to react negatively to this photo as soon as i linked it. However that is unlikely to happen to you or to any less contentious member.

aso i'm glad i did link this thread because the crit ive recived from others not involved in the original contretemps has been great...

Last edited:
I think it's a nice shot. You've actually got a hint of a second rainbow there.

You took advantage of the moment and it came out nicely. Not a lot you can do about the ducks and swans, they are part of the environment, although personally I would clone out the central white blob as it is distracting.

You could possibly do a little with the sky to bring out some more atmosphere and maybe a little overall punch to the image, but if it was a jpeg rather than a RAW it might be to the detriment of the quality.

Finally, without trying to hijack the thread, I am very new to photography, have only had an slr for a year, am learning loads but have an inherent lack of confidence in the results I get and how I get them. That coupled with the responses that sometimes are given on this forum (the above spat being a good example) I have never posted any of my photos. I know we all have different opinions and thoughts, and that's good, but I do wish that we sometimes thought about how we say things and not just what we say, especially as written word does not convey feeling and intent as well as spoken word. It can at best put people off contributing, at worst it can downright upset them. .

Craig
You really should show us you shots we are not all so awful and mostly wish to help each other.
You can also mark them as beginner which will mean people take that into accout mostly.

Craig
You really should show us you shots we are not all so awful and mostly wish to help each other.
You can also mark them as beginner which will mean people take that into accout mostly.

Hi alf, you are right, of course. I will have a go as soon as I work out how. Cheers.

Back