Beginner Wine glasses - experimenting with light (second photo)

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
wineglasses.jpeg

As always critiques are encouraged. I wanted to get some colour from the wine onto the table but didn't seem to be able to pull it off.. More powerful light perhaps?

Hope you're all well

Adam

Nice try. In my mind it looks like it needs a brighter light, and maybe more of a point source to get the effect, assuming there is no photoshop trickery going on!

It needs strong directioanl light and put where you need it. The lighting on the shot is brightest above and to the right of the glasses. A lot of what the inspiring shot shots is light defracted by the glass and liguid from the stong light source then it has been processed to achieve the rest of the look,

Your shot can be edited to give more but I recomend a reshoot to get the light on the subject correctly

Not my shot 2017-06 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

More powerful light perhaps?

More power may be seen or understood two ways:
absolute and relative.

Absolute is when one goes from 100 w/s to 1000 for ex.

Relative is the capacity to play with power ratios inside
a given setup what ever the absolute power available.

…and I don't believe you will pull out that shot without
mastering post-production but don't give up as tabletop
is a fascinating world I did a living with. Keep rocking!

The issues isn't more or less light, but better control of exposure and how the light falls on the glasses. In the shot you wanted to replicate you can see where the light has been placed from the shadows that it cast behind the glasses. You also needed more exposure - i.e. to let more light in, either by using a wider aperture or a longer shutter opening time depending on whether using flash or continuous lighting.

The issues isn't more or less light, but better control of exposure and how the light falls on the glasses. In the shot you wanted to replicate you can see where the light has been placed from the shadows that it cast behind the glasses. You also needed more exposure - i.e. to let more light in, either by using a wider aperture or a longer shutter opening time depending on whether using flash or continuous lighting.
Hmm interesting - are you thinking that the light exposed from the good photo wasn't actually visable to the eye? Because I couldn't get the light through the glass to show that sort of effect from any angle

Perhaps he's used two exposures together - one for the glass and one for the refractions on the table?

Having looked at the original and the other shot, again, it seems that you were using a large, diffuse light source and had the glasses on a shiny surface, while in the other example image a focused or point source was used that lit the surface they were on THROUGH the glasses, causing the colour and shadow to appear like they did. In the image that Alf processed the shadows are fainly visible, but they are soft-edged, while the shadows in the example are sharp and clear, being cast by a point source. You might also need to surround the glasses with black card to stop reflections of light back onto the surface and give the glasses a darker edge for definition.

Back