Critique Winter bugs

Nice finds all of them... lady bird looks very sinister guess it's the lighting. Think it could do with a little more light on the bottom half as it's a steady gradient from top to bottom.

Love the Fusca

Thanks Bryn. I agree with you about the lighting on the ladybird. I have a very subtle enhancement to my rig that I am hoping may help here. It's on its way over from China so not sure when it will arrive though...

Ladybirds are quite sinister in general though ;

Last edited:
Great set of images Timmy, agree with Bryn about the lighting on the 1st shot but other than that I like them all very much.(y)

George.

Thanks Bryn. I agree with you about the lighting on the ladybird. I have a very subtle enhancement to my rig that I am hoping may help here. It's on its way over from China so not sure when it will arrive though...

Ladybirds are quite sinister in general though ;

Have you hired a Chinese bride? So she can hold a light for you whilst you shoot?

Indeed they are sinister and they also look badass too.

Great shots Tim.

That first springtail looks familiar, do they look almost blue from some angles?

Have you hired a Chinese bride? So she can hold a light for you whilst you shoot?
I'm afraid not, but I like the way you are thinking ;)

Nice shots Timmy, love the ladybird and that last image
Love the last spider Tim. All good shots.
Excellent series.

Thanks Guys!

That first springtail looks familiar, do they look almost blue from some angles?

That's right. They look almost black when seen with the naked eye and definitely have a blue metallic sheen when viewed through the LCD screen. I couldn't capture that sheen with the flash though. I think it was a bit too diffuse :(

That's right. They look almost black when seen with the naked eye and definitely have a blue metallic sheen when viewed through the LCD screen. I couldn't capture that sheen with the flash though. I think it was a bit too diffuse :(

I suppose it's all to do with the angle and type of light hitting them, flash light changes the angle totally from any ambient light when viewing them by eye of through the screen.

Lovely looking collembola in any case.

Back