Critique Without a camera

Littletank

In Memoriam
Name
Norman
Edit My Images
Yes
For some time I have been unable to use a camera due to age and infirmity and wondered what to do to satisfy my photographic needs. I remembered that I had a collection of old 35 mm colour slides and negatives and decided to see if it was possible to be creative with any of them. Due to age there were colour changes and what looked like grain growth but, using available software and layers and masks a few interesting images started to emerge. What do you think, constructive criticism would be very welcome?

Contestants
1zyegex.jpg

Reflections
152nlzc.jpg

Train
2l27pf.jpg

St Nons
25u5x1w.jpg

Chapel corner
zxl0yh.jpg

Quite spooky! The first image, reminds me of the animated/movie mix of Lord of the rings (anyone seen that?) - pretty crazy and squished all 3 movies into one, anywho - that 1st image reminds me of that :)

That last one looks like something from a horror movie. Im expecting the chair to start moving.. please forgive - im a horror film fan and thats what they appear to me - and thats what I like about them! Good on your for doing a bit of recycling too!

(Bear with me - I do get to the point:))

I am just reading the Joel Tjintjelaar and Julia Anna Gospodarou book 'From Basics to Fine Art Black and White Photography'

I am only part of the way through it and I am probably paraphrasing horribly and incorrectly what they say but part of their message is along the lines of....

...use the initial image solely as a starting point, try to visualise what you actually see in your 'head' and how it would look in a perfect world where you could change reality to how you wanted it/thought it should be/have been.

If you take this line then it may not matter that you can't take photos any more or it may make it ok for someone else to take them for you and you then go through the process of what it should have been/how it gets across to others how you felt about it.

I realise this is all a bit arty farty - and is not my usual kind of stuff. But I am getting a great deal from the book and for the time being I am going with its flow.

To illustrate what I am going on about, here is a link to one of my original images of a clown:

http://bthedigitalmonochromeforum.runboard.com/t200580

(can't see any post numbers but if you scroll down the page your will soon get to it:))

and here is a link to my interpretation of it - aimed at getting the viewer to see clowns in general and this one in particular as sinister/evil/horrible

http://bthedigitalmonochromeforum.runboard.com/t200600

The original image was part of a child's ride so it was certainly not intended to be sinister/horrible etc.

Coming back to your images above ....

I much prefer the last one. My experience (which may not be the same as yours) is that I pretty soon get fed up with the weird/garish effects of some of the filters etc you can get these days. The last one is most pleasing (to me.) But applying the thought processes outline above you could revisit all your images and process them to generate a particular response in the viewer. Not easy I know as it took me about a year to work out what to do with the Clown image:)

If you have Elements then another approach might be to visit Elements Village

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/index.php

and you will see that there are 'challenges' on there which provide you with a starting image and you apply the challenge and then see how what you have done compared with those of others - no prizes it is just for fun.

Likewise there are other threads which give a particular technique/tutorial that you can apply to your own existing images.

All of this is good stuff that could help you direct your processing to produce what you want rather than something at random (which is what I used to do but that may not apply to you:))

Last edited:
Two very useful sets of comments, thank you. I never really thought of what I was doing as recycling but, with that in mind a much larger basket of slides becomes available. I am not using filters and I will revisit whatever I do with a view to trying to produce what I want rather than what others may like. Another thing I must try is more monochrome.

................. I am not using filters .............

Sorry - I thought you were using filters (by which I mean one of the sets of 'tools'/effects in Photoshop/Elements) to get the effects in the first three images.

Good luck with your experiments:)

Thanks for your wishes, Chris. I suppose it depends on what you mean by a filter. I use layers and the various items that may be set in layers and I use masks. What I do not use are those effect producing filters that others far, more savvy than I am, have produced.

Actually, Susie, it is great fun and very satisfying to see what might be done in a digital darkroom compared with a chemical darkroom.

Back