Woburn Abbey Pre Wedding Shoot

Name
Marcus
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a really good time with this couple at the Woburn Abbey Sculpture Gallery for their pre wedding shoot last week, unbelievably it rained on the way there and it rained as we finished but was dry at the time of the shoot. Here are a few images for C&C and if you want to see a few more, please look here on the blog.

Thanks for looking!

Woburn Abbey Pre Wedding Shoot 1 by Marcus Charter, on Flickr

Woburn Abbey Pre Wedding Shoot 2 by Marcus Charter, on Flickr

Woburn Abbey Pre Wedding Shoot 3 by Marcus Charter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Not a bad effort. C&C wise -

1. When posing couples you should always consider where the light is coming from and how shadows can impact a subject. Here you have neglected to consider his shadow on her face. For that reason, quite a nice shot has been ruined (imho)

2. Bit lost in the frame for me

3. Like that

Chris

This is interesting.

My fave was number 1 - the shadow one her face isn't deep enough to hide all detail and their expressions and obvious happiness are great. Only thing I'd change would be to correct verticals.

2. It's a lovely backdrop and the framing is beautiful. Because of the contrast between the couple and the building they stand out and the tree leads the eye to them.

3. They're just a bit lost against the tree, and the surroundings draw the eye through like the other two.

HTHs

Last edited:
Well, I'm not keen on the processing but I imagine the couple will be otherwise you wouldn't have done it like that, so FWIW ...

#1 That shadow bugs me a bit but not as much as the distractions left and right do. Personally I'd crop it more like this ...
geezercrop_zps31d59bde.jpg

It's a shame about those white cabinets in the background, but obviously nowt you could do to hide them more. I did wonder about trying to tone down the LH one but I'm not sure (a) I could do it effectively and (b) it's worth it.

#2 I'd have wanted them between the windows, but it's nicely seen. I couldn't have been arsed to do it!

#3 Again, nicely seen. There's something bugging me about it, but I can't think what it is.

Talking about things bugging me though ... "Class Weddings Photography" reads all wrong to me. "Class Weddings" or "Class Wedding Photography" yes, but ...

I quite like these. My thoughts for what they are worth ...

#1. I like the crop and the processing looks ok to me, a tad muted perhaps but seems to be popular just now. The white cabinets are a distraction for sure! as Dan says but imo his crop makes them more so ...
#2. Agree with Dan, between the windows would have been better, like the shot though.
#3. Seems to be some purple fringing going on in centre frame in the leaves of the tree ... it was the first thing I saw which I know is very sad ... and with the water mark intruding over the subject it doesn't quite work for me, sorry.

Sid, Class Weddings. We have a main company Class Photos = Mainly schools work with minilab. This being the biggest with staff etc Marcus and I decided to join forces as wel also have othe r photography businesses Charter Photography and Burton Photography that does B2B work. class Weddings is a Sister to Class Photos hence the name.. Plus we keep a link with the same logos but in different colours . Each side of the biz has separate webs sites so's not make our work look like 'Jack of all Trades'.
separate sites for separate clientele. but thanks for the dig.
Weddings are the smallest side of what we do and I hate shooting them on me tod so teamed up with Marcus for the weddings and it's going mad at the moment for bookings.

We also have a removal biz and soft furnishings...... so if you'd like any cushions I can show where stick them?

Cheers for the explanation, Daryl. "Class Weddings" is great AFAIC - until you add the word "Photography", when it falls over itself IMO. But hey, it's your business, not mine! :)

Love the second one Marcus and I am sure so does the couple. Blog pics are sound too.
Don't think I will ever understand the reason behind waternarking these days though.

Lots of critique and comments, some in unity some not. Thank you to everyone all is valid. Couple of peeps who have commented are very well regarded as working photographers by myself so thank you very much to you!

Watermarks. Not a security thing, if people want to crop that out they'll do it anyway, I'm hoping it supports a marketing function. The image may get shared around social media away from our web page and facebook site and the hope is that if someone really likes, if it still has the watermark hopefully they'll pay the site a visit and possibly contact us.

And thank you Daryl for the explanation. If any one is having a wedding and moving house at the same time, give us a call. Be careful where you ask us to put your cushions though.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
Nice shots like the first one best, not sure if its monitor ( as I'am currently using a old piece of junk ) but the second image the tree trunks seem to have a lot of chromatic aberration where the white sky meets them, apart from that which can be a easy fix a overall nice set (y)

Like the 1st one a lot... shadow doesn't bother me at all. Like the processing too.

2nd one I'm with Sid re the windows but tbh it's the kind of thing I get wrong on my own shots too... I find the branches and leaves of the tree look weird though, they look fake. The higher up you go the more noticeable it becomes... too much use of the clarity slider perhaps?

3rd the processing looks a little different to the other 2, also are they in focus? Hard to tell but they look a little oof. I also feel whilst I like the use of 3rds the right 3rd has a path leading out of the image more or less... this is distracting. The eye reads left to right so you're better off putting them in a right 3rd not left, especially if there's a path for the eye to follow on the right side.

Blog post has some nice images but the res is awful and detracts from the images IMO. I'd be sorting that out ASAP as it doesn't show them in a great light IMO, or at least a lesser light than it could.

Cheers for the explanation, Daryl. "Class Weddings" is great AFAIC - until you add the word "Photography", when it falls over itself IMO. But hey, it's your business, not mine! :)

Yep I'd agree with this 100%. It doesn't read right.

Although 'class weddings' on it's own sounds bit like 'mint weddings', 'belter weddings', 'spot on weddings' etc so I'm not sure dropping the photography part is totally going to make it read perfectly.

I'd be delighted as an individual and photographer with all 3.
No1 is beautiful, well caught and I have no problem with the lighting.
No2, agree they are small in the frame, but in proportion! Well placed.
No3 has great placement of the couple, off centre and darker background to let them stand out.

I like all three, just had a look at the full post on your website and love them all. I personally love the framing on number 2, don't see the real need for them to be between the windows it's. Not sure why people feel the need to criticise a persons business trading name, how rude!

Back