Women's Basketball

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Not shot much for fun since monetising my sports photography. Basketball has always been one of my favourite sports and my school teams won trophies at county level and were runners up in teh Scottish Cup. I've only photographed my son playing a couple of times so I went along with little expectation of good shots. Lighting was fairly typical needing iso12800 @F2.8 and white balance was set manually as the horrible green walls would have played havoc with AWB.
Basketball is a tricky sport to get good clean shots. It was a small gym so had to sit almost in the corner. There is gym furniture everywhere and emergence doors etc so a clean background was very tough. I probably got the hang of it in the 4th quarter but at the point the team at my end put on a full court press and the action was infrequent near my net. Really enjoyed the game though and teh Ladies really put everything into it diving around for loose balls and one away to hospital with what may be a dislocated shoulder>

_SA16412 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_SA16283 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_SA15578 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_SA15517 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_SA15100 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_SA14504 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

All great action shots Simon despite the high ISO's. Well taken :D

Very nice set of sports action styled captures Simon, liking all of these very much.

These look really great to me, well done. :)

Excellent set, but #4 is outstanding.

Nice set there - and basketball can be challenging to shoot.
Dark gyms, horrible background (who ever came up with the idea of those green walls that seem to be everywhere!), not much crowd..
But.. it is also a very rewarding sport to cover - both image-wise and (at least for me) financially.

I always love to see some bball images here - so thanks for posting these :)

Dark gyms, horrible background (who ever came up with the idea of those green walls that seem to be everywhere!), not much crowd..
But.. it is also a very rewarding sport to cover - both image-wise and (at least for me) financially.

Can I be nosey and ask you you have monetised basketball. I'm going to approach the club now I have a better idea how to shoot it and ask to cover some of their age group games with a view to selling digital images.

Can I be nosey and ask you you have monetised basketball. I'm going to approach the club now I have a better idea how to shoot it and ask to cover some of their age group games with a view to selling digital images.
Not nosey at all :)
Always happy to talk photography and basketball (sometimes a bit too much as well...)
For me - I was in the right place at the right time...
Got hired by a National Federation to do their away games in Europe (this was while I lived in the UK.. and travel was cheap)..
Then that lead to some BBL teams getting interested...
Then I worked as the photographer for BBL for few years...
Now doing International tournaments and working for few clubs and leagues...

So - selling to clubs/leagues/federations... that was how it came about for me.
This was at the time when BBL was .. not so much on display.. think even at the big Finals there was maybe 4 photographers (bit different these days, I've heard) and many clubs didn't have anyone doing photos .. it started to grow slowly pretty quickly.

I did try to do few lower league/junior events as well - and sell to parents, etc.
But I've never been good at that.. so it went nowhere for me. Probably more down to myself than it actually not being profitable.

Also - when I shot the games for clubs.. it also lead to me doing bigger photoshoots for many of the sponsors of the clubs.

For the past...5 years.. I would say basketball amounts to about 80% of my income.

Not nosey at all :)
Always happy to talk photography and basketball (sometimes a bit too much as well...)
For me - I was in the right place at the right time...
Got hired by a National Federation to do their away games in Europe (this was while I lived in the UK.. and travel was cheap)..
Then that lead to some BBL teams getting interested...
Then I worked as the photographer for BBL for few years...
Now doing International tournaments and working for few clubs and leagues...

So - selling to clubs/leagues/federations... that was how it came about for me.
This was at the time when BBL was .. not so much on display.. think even at the big Finals there was maybe 4 photographers (bit different these days, I've heard) and many clubs didn't have anyone doing photos .. it started to grow slowly pretty quickly.

I did try to do few lower league/junior events as well - and sell to parents, etc.
But I've never been good at that.. so it went nowhere for me. Probably more down to myself than it actually not being profitable.

Also - when I shot the games for clubs.. it also lead to me doing bigger photoshoots for many of the sponsors of the clubs.

For the past...5 years.. I would say basketball amounts to about 80% of my income.
We only have the Caledonian Gladiators up here. Took me a while to work out that is what the Glasgow Rocks are now called. I might give them a shout and see if I can get accreditation. I was actually shooting Athletics at teh Emirates at the weekend and had a wee look at the basketball court. Looks a decent venue.

It was always my favourite game to play and our school was the second best in the country to a school up in Aberdeen who had all the American Oil workers kids playing. Stung a bit getting beat off them. Tricky with basketball in terms of sales top parents as it is a fairly limited amount of players. Rugby and football has more potential sales.

Long time since I did Basketball... Was making money then that stopped so I did,. Although its quite enjoyablae and you meet the nicest people haha.... Hi @GooGaBu long time no see :) www.kipax.com/basketball

We only have the Caledonian Gladiators up here. Took me a while to work out that is what the Glasgow Rocks are now called. I might give them a shout and see if I can get accreditation. I was actually shooting Athletics at teh Emirates at the weekend and had a wee look at the basketball court. Looks a decent venue.

It was always my favourite game to play and our school was the second best in the country to a school up in Aberdeen who had all the American Oil workers kids playing. Stung a bit getting beat off them. Tricky with basketball in terms of sales top parents as it is a fairly limited amount of players. Rugby and football has more potential sales
Emirates was - and probably still is a decent venue to shoot.
Came up there for the BBL Trophy Finals every year.. as well as to shoot the Rocks at the games/promo shoots..
Always a nice journey up north.

And before that - when I lived up in Scotland.. used to go and watch the Rocks play (they played at some shopping center those days - can't remember the name).

Should definitely be worth your time to check for access to Gladiators games.. never know where those enquiries might lead up to.
Sometimes you can be at the right place at the right time...

Hopefully see some more basketball photos from you in here in the future!

Long time since I did Basketball... Was making money then that stopped so I did,. Although its quite enjoyablae and you meet the nicest people haha.... Hi @GooGaBu long time no see :) www.kipax.com/basketball
I remember you once sending me some photos as well from some BBL game .. might have been Cheshire (lovely old North Gate venue...)
But as you say.. enjoyable sport to cover and great people around it!!!

Not the easiest sport to make the money out of in the UK - but few people might manage to make few quid from it.

And hello to you as well @KIPAX - I do lurk around here most of the time, but post rather rarely.
Who knows.. maybe few basketball photos might be nice to post (dig up some old ones from 15 years ago or something)
Should also make a little trip back to UK for some games.. and to meet some old friends.

I remember you once sending me some photos as well from some BBL game .. might have been Cheshire (lovely old North Gate venue...)
But as you say.. enjoyable sport to cover and great people around it!!!

Not the easiest sport to make the money out of in the UK - but few people might manage to make few quid from it.

And hello to you as well @KIPAX - I do lurk around here most of the time, but post rather rarely.
Who knows.. maybe few basketball photos might be nice to post (dig up some old ones from 15 years ago or something)
Should also make a little trip back to UK for some games.. and to meet some old friends.
It would be great to see any images and also hear what types of kit you used, any remotes etc

It would be great to see any images and also hear what types of kit you used, any remotes etc

His over basket remote pics are brilliant

Hi. I asked at the Worcester arena why they had the green walls; it is the best colour for people with vision issues. The arena was built specifically to be a hub for WCh basketball. Hosted the Men's Euros in 2015. There is a women's team, a women's wheelchair team and the men's uni team there now. Sadly, the Wolves left the BBL - not sustainable. Plymouth have gone now - financial investigations into the hole in their finances. I still shoot there but it is NBL2 these days. Maybe we should start a basketball thread!

Last edited:
I'd love to give that a go. The Sony's are a Total pain with remotes but you can get them working. Not got a shot that I would use in my first few attempts.
I've gotten my Sony's to work great with PocketWizards and guitar pedal.. there is a Sony specific PW cable that does the trick.
Think I was reading hundreds of pages online when I looked for the right cables, etc...

I've gotten my Sony's to work great with PocketWizards and guitar pedal.. there is a Sony specific PW cable that does the trick.
Think I was reading hundreds of pages online when I looked for the right cables, etc...
I am using the Pocketwizard cable that allows you to connect a battery pack and a sewing machine foot. The cable was what made the difference. I seem to have worked it out now but still wish they would fire from the hotshoe of teh camera in your hand without a cable.

I admire how well you have isolated the players and although I've never shot basketball I have always found it difficult with rugby. I would like to expand the sports that I shoot as I seem to be on a never ending cycle of football, occasional rugby and cricket and living in the southwest and the options are limited. I do enjoy reading your other thread about your journey into paid sports photography and something I admire that those who go out and do it. I know from my Saturday afternoons shooting how hard it is and under appreciated it can be.

I am using the Pocketwizard cable that allows you to connect a battery pack and a sewing machine foot. The cable was what made the difference. I seem to have worked it out now but still wish they would fire from the hotshoe of teh camera in your hand without a cable.
So true about the 'without a cable' shooting.. not quite sure what the issue there is.. but.. at least it works :)

Not sure if I should have started another thread as to 'basketball photography gear, etc' - but.. though that might as well reply to this one as was asked here about the kit I use.

Cameras : (for games) Sony a9ii and Sony a7sIII
(for studio work) Sony a7rIV

Lenses : three that I would use for most games : 70-200mm f2.8, 24-70 f2.8/35-150mm f2-f2.8 and then a wide angle 15mm f2.8
Other nice lenses to have - for behind the backboard 12-24mm (set about 18/20mm), 105mm f1.4, 100m f2 and rare occasions 400mm f2.8
Those really cover me nicely for the games.
Depending on the venue/client - I choose between the 70-200mm f2.8 or Tamron 35-150mm f2-f2.8 lens.. love the range of the Tamron.. but the Sony is 'nicer'
So that is the main camera/lens combo for 90% of the games I cover.

Remotes - under the basket, behind the backboard or above the basket on the catwalks ..
Under the basket something from 11mm to 16mm - behind the backboard 16-20mm - above the basket 70mm-400mm
PocketWizards to trigger...

And as clients like to have more video these days - there is an array of GoPros, drones, videocameras...

I think at one game - I counted that I had EIGHT different cameras set up to capture photos/videos...
Really enjoyed the editing that evening !!

And just because this was a rather dry and boring post.. a photo from last nights game to give it some colour! (and NO - the photo did NOT want to upload....)

Lenses : three that I would use for most games : 70-200mm f2.8, 24-70 f2.8/35-150mm f2-f2.8 and then a wide angle 15mm f2.8
Other nice lenses to have - for behind the backboard 12-24mm (set about 18/20mm), 105mm f1.4, 100m f2 and rare occasions 400mm f2.8
Those really cover me nicely for the games.
Depending on the venue/client - I choose between the 70-200mm f2.8 or Tamron 35-150mm f2-f2.8 lens.. love the range of the Tamron.. but the Sony is 'nicer'
So that is the main camera/lens combo for 90% of the games I cover.

70-200 on any setup is a real goto lens isnt it :)

Thanks @GooGaBu Great info there. Next time I shoot a game I am going to try a floor camera next to me. The gym is such they don't allow shooting under teh basket and I doubt I'd get permission for a backboard cam. As @KIPAX says the 70-200 is such an important lens in sports. The Sony GM2 is brilliant and that is what I used for teh shots in this post. Unusually I shot vertically for the most part.

70-200 on any setup is a real goto lens isnt it :)
Really can't beat it - sometimes for basketball the Tamron 35-150mm is ALMOST as good.
It gives bit wider field of view .. but the 150mm is a little short.

But when anyone asks about 'what lens....' I stop them there and say 70-200mm f2.8 ;)

One can't go wrong with that lens!

Thanks @GooGaBu Great info there. Next time I shoot a game I am going to try a floor camera next to me. The gym is such they don't allow shooting under teh basket and I doubt I'd get permission for a backboard cam. As @KIPAX says the 70-200 is such an important lens in sports. The Sony GM2 is brilliant and that is what I used for teh shots in this post. Unusually I shot vertically for the most part.
For the backboard camera - not all baskets even take the MagicArms .. some are too thick.. some have round poles that 'roll' so you can't use them to attach the cameras..

For the floor camera - either something like PlatyPod .. or like I enjoy doing.. just tape 2-3 used AAA batteries.. then tape those to the bottom of your camera.
That gives a really nice low angle.. and just about the right one when shooting with 16mm-20mm lens... and costs nothing (well the used batteries and some gaffer tape)

For the backboard camera - not all baskets even take the MagicArms .. some are too thick.. some have round poles that 'roll' so you can't use them to attach the cameras..

For the floor camera - either something like PlatyPod .. or like I enjoy doing.. just tape 2-3 used AAA batteries.. then tape those to the bottom of your camera.
That gives a really nice low angle.. and just about the right one when shooting with 16mm-20mm lens... and costs nothing (well the used batteries and some gaffer tape)
I saw the battery tip on a Peter Read Miller video. I've got a small tripod that sits just above floor level so that would do teh job. Have you got a website or insta etc. I'd love to see some of your work

I saw the battery tip on a Peter Read Miller video. I've got a small tripod that sits just above floor level so that would do teh job. Have you got a website or insta etc. I'd love to see some of your work
I am very bad at having photos online for people to view... and just few weeks ago I deleted everything from Insta (just felt like starting fresh) so there's about 9 images/videos there.
Website.. my clients have me shooting for them.. so 90% of images is behind passwords..
I am getting back to blog writing.. so...

Is one allowed to post links to Insta/Twitter over here.. or is that frowned upon??

Always happy to follow fellow photographers on social media!!

I am very bad at having photos online for people to view... and just few weeks ago I deleted everything from Insta (just felt like starting fresh) so there's about 9 images/videos there.
Website.. my clients have me shooting for them.. so 90% of images is behind passwords..

Is one allowed to post links to Insta/Twitter over here.. or is that frowned upon??

You are allowed links in your signature so can't imagine it is an issue in a post

post your links stop being a girl hahaha people need to see your pics mate. :)

You are allowed links in your signature so can't imagine it is an issue in a post
Just followed you on IG ... that way didn't have to post anything here ;-)
And by the way - very nice website you got!! Spent a while browsing that one.

post your links stop being a girl hahaha people need to see your pics mate. :)
I even have a Blog that I haven't shared a single link to in over a year... it gets about one random visitor from Australia most weeks and no-on else.
Sounds like I am great at promoting myself ... not.

I even have a Blog that I haven't shared a single link to in over a year... it gets about one random visitor from Australia most weeks and no-on else.
Sounds like I am great at promoting myself ... not.

Times are good when you dont need to promote yourself :)

Back