Women's footie from Wales

Edit My Images
Yes
Been a while since my last post (expect the 'Honest Comment - thread).
And I spent a week in Wales photographing the Finnish Women's national team, and the two friendly games against Wales.
I can say that even if traveling abroad can be great, it does feel very much like work - especially with a hectic schedule of two games in three days. Plus then the flights and other travel on top of that.

Saying that, I did have a great time and the Welsh were great hosts... looking forward to returning there in March with the Men's team.

But, here are few of the better action shots from the two games. One played at 7.30pm and the otehr at 1.30pm. So got to experience the different lighting conditions. Actually preferred the flood lights....

Any comments and improvement suggestions are welcome as always!!

Pic 1

WalesFinland3.jpg

Now, is that a hand ball???

Pic 2

WalesFinland4.jpg

This was a totally 'lucky shot' - it was 16 seconds from the start of the second half. I was still my way to the touchline.. behind the goal and just swung the camera and pressed the shutter. Considering that, the focus is darn good... and yes, it was a goal.

Pic 3

WalesFinland5.jpg

Now you know why so many Finnish sporting personalities always get the nick name 'Flying Finn' ;)

Pic 4

WalesFinland1.jpg

Tackle by the touchline..

Pic 5

WalesFinland2.jpg

From this one I caught a nice series of about 6 shots.. from the beginning to getting up. Just thought as a single image, this worked the best.

Pic 6

WalesFinladn6.jpg

Going out... or not??

Last edited:
Nice selection. I think no. 4 is closest to the template of standard soccer action shot. Interesting that it was better under floodlights - given how gloomy the daytime matches I've been to recently I think I'd prefer night skies and torchlight.

Of the bunch, I like number 3 the most. Good capture of some intriguing action.

Nice selection. I think no. 4 is closest to the template of standard soccer action shot. Interesting that it was better under floodlights - given how gloomy the daytime matches I've been to recently I think I'd prefer night skies and torchlight.

Of the bunch, I like number 3 the most. Good capture of some intriguing action.

Thanks !!
I 'unfortunately agree with you on the fact that Pic 4 is the closest to the picture that most papers might publish. As I think that Pic 3 (for example) would be much more interesting... but unlikely to get published.

Would also have thought that no 2 would be something papers would consider... (I know they did on my case as it was the specific player I was asked to get photos of that night!!).

Also, the daytime match (no floodlights) was not so much fun... camera didn't like to focus quite right and just found it more of struggle that time around. So agree with you on the gloomy daylight game !!

Nice series GooGaBu. Kind regards Graham

Judging by the amount of tackle shots posted(ooh err missus) it looked an intensely fought encounter. I like no.4 + 5 best as they show up the the battle between the teams best imho. The shots are sharp and the colours vivid.
Glad you had the nice weather Wales always has on offer.lol
What was the final score?

Judging by the amount of tackle shots posted(ooh err missus) it looked an intensely fought encounter. I like no.4 + 5 best as they show up the the battle between the teams best imho. The shots are sharp and the colours vivid.
Glad you had the nice weather Wales always has on offer.lol
What was the final score?

Thanks!! They were quite physical matches... the second game was sort of 'ruined' by the Welsh referee. Letting the home team away with most things and every touch by the FInns was a freekick for Wales.

Nice that you liked the colors on the shots... I shoot RAW, so need to tweak the colors myself afterwards... which sometimes is a little pain in the ****!

Weather in Wales...yeah! Had my only 'day-off' on Thursday when it ****ed down most of the day... so ended up in the movies :LOL:

The games ended.. first one 2-1 for FInland with two goals from Annica Sjolund (number 20 for FInland) and the second ended 1-1. Finland were the more dominating team in both encounters... but were a bit unlucky not to score more.
Very entertaining games.. at least when looking through the lens.

LOL GooGaBu I was going to say some of the colours looked off but I'm told I suffer with colour blindness :D

I might have cropped #1 into portrait mode and got rid of the player #6.

I'm liking the capture in #3 & the tackles in #4 & 5. I reckon she (or should have) kept the ball in #6 ;)

LOL GooGaBu I was going to say some of the colours looked off but I'm told I suffer with colour blindness :D

I might have cropped #1 into portrait mode and got rid of the player #6.

I'm liking the capture in #3 & the tackles in #4 & 5. I reckon she (or should have) kept the ball in #6 ;)

:D Hey, all good and fair. I am no expert with the colors.. and I think they always look very different on different screens. So it could be that the way I did them this time shows the colors being off at your screen. So fair comment!!

I know what you mean about Pic 1... thought about that as well. But would've been then forced to clone out player 6's hand. (I actually have another version of that, in a portrait mode.)

And to your surprise... in Pic 6. The ball went out. I think the player was sliding like mad on the wet grass and was going past the ball before connecting with it.

Thanks for the comments and let me know what you think of colors on my shots when I post some more. And see if they still look off... or??

She didn't keep the ball in :eek:......extra training me thinks for her :D

She didn't keep the ball in :eek:......extra training me thinks for her :D

I think she was only playing her second International game and with the pitch so slippery. Maybe the coaches forgave her.. and Finland won the game and it was starting to rain. :LOL:

A nice set GooGaBu,
Numbers 3&4 are my favourite.

Regards Spence

Thanks for the comment... have to admit that 3 is one of my favs as well..

I was tempted to photoshop a hurdle into No.3 :)

Nice set.

:LOL: Suppose a hurdle would not be out of place in that one... don't think I have many hurdle photos in 'stock' and am not handy enough with PS that I could do it.. Good suggestion though!

Back