World marble championships

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Shot this one on Easter Friday. Had to be done really.

It's an oddly British type of event held in a pub car park near Crawley. Needless to say the majority of the players become increasingly intoxicated during the long day of hard fought battling.

s

The aim of the game is to use your "tolley" (a bigger marble) to knock the smaller marbles (actually called marbles) out of the sandy ring. Your tolley needs to stay in the circle for you to continue. The more marbles you knock out the better. Or something like that.

s

It was a truly international field of players, with people from New Zealand, USA and Germany amongst the competitors. A bit of creativity was required, but once you've shot one marble being pinged you've pretty much exhausted the action options.

#3 Peak action with sand spray
s

#4 Always nice to try a bit of contre-jour
s

#5 "Knuckling down" - so that's where the saying comes from!
s

#6 Winner Chris Pampel from Chemnitz, Germany, captain of the 1st Marble Club of Erzgebirge who won the team world championship.
s

Full set here for those with a pathological desire to see lots of marbles.

Marbles are all we had as kids, no idea where the term "Tolley" came from, when i was a kid the larger marble was called a "Bolly" because it was made from steel and was a large ball bearing

Alleys and dobbers where we came from.

The large ball bearings were called "arnies" when I were a lad. Also we didn't have "nose drops" and "cabbaging" that were evident in the world championships. It's a different world I tell you.

the smaller balls were always called "gloggies" and were usually multi coloured, the Asian community made the game popular again in the seventies with their different rules and different style for "flicking" the marble, you were now allowed to pick up the gloggies and fire it using your middle finger as a capatult so as to be able to fight back against the larger and heavier steel Bolly

Brill photos mate. I like the last one, either he has won, or he was sick of you following him about taking photos?!

Last edited:
Wow - that's certainly different to your normal rugby shots!!! Still wrong shaped ball though....

I'd be tempted to clone out the chair leg in #4 as it looks like something coming out of his nose.

#3 is probably my favourite with the dof and the sand spray

Tobers, probably the best set of shots I've seen in this part of the forum for ages - made me smile with nostalgia and it really got across the seriousness (or apparant seriousness) of the event. Nicely done :)

Hi Tobers,

Nice set. Think I may have bumped into you at the Reading vs Coventry game a couple of weeks ago! Remember you mentioning shooting this event!

Hope to see you at the mad stad again soon!

Ben

a cracking set, Marbles now that is different mate whats next conkers lol.

Steve

Rather weird but when i was a kid in Lanarkshire we knew the small ones as "Bools" and the larger ones as "Dolshers" or if you had a metal one "Iron Dolsher".

Back