Edit My Images
Yes
This was taken in not very good light
70D 300f4+1.4 handheld
Aperture priority F6.3 ISO1600 Speed1250

What would you have done different
1 not take the shot
2 bin it
3 edit, crop, levels, shadows/highlight,curves,high pass sharpen (sharpen bird only)
4 edit differently

Finally please say I have correct ID Dunlin, not a Sanderling

Dunlin Original_2168 by rkcphotos, on Flickr

Dunlin_2168 by rkcphotos, on Flickr

I think your edited version is a big improvement and is certainly a keeper. You have improved the detail in the bird, the composition and brightness. Not much more to say!

Dunlin ID is correct Bob, your second shot puts the focus on the bird which is fine, your first puts it in its natural enviroment so again fine.

I think your edit is great, good composition and good enhancement of the dunlin without over doing it

A good shot Bob and the whites have been controlled well, it`s all subjective but I did a rough crop based on yours and only from the largest file you had.I left a bit of the foreground in to give a different look.Levels adjustment,curves and saturation.I just feel you have made the plumage on the subject to harsh with what you did. You may or may not agree.
14028593538_660ba49788_o_zps116b3203.jpg

Not a regular in this section but can offer my PoV as to the crop.

Personally, I put the eye at the centre of a lot of my animal shots and have the centre of mass of the body somewhere near a third. Gives space for the critter to move into/look at and gives a certain amount of compositional balance. I'm on the wrong machine to do a decent crop of your shot to show what I men but the words give an idea! As far as saturation, levels etc go, that's entirely up to the final consumer - you; if you like it, job done.

Reactions: RKC
I think your edited version is a big improvement and is certainly a keeper. You have improved the detail in the bird, the composition and brightness. Not much more to say!
Dunlin ID is correct Bob, your second shot puts the focus on the bird which is fine, your first puts it in its natural enviroment so again fine.
I think your edit is great, good composition and good enhancement of the dunlin without over doing it
edit is spot on Bob- nice shot

Les ;)

Thank you all for the feedback it is much appreciated (y)

Thanks rich for popping by (y)
Crop it works, did not even try that as thought the water at the bottom would be a distraction, but not in this case.
Could you enlighten me about what you meant by "harsh" are we talking sharpening

A good shot Bob and the whites have been controlled well, it`s all subjective but I did a rough crop based on yours and only from the largest file you had.I left a bit of the foreground in to give a different look.Levels adjustment,curves and saturation.I just feel you have made the plumage on the subject to harsh with what you did. You may or may not agree.
14028593538_660ba49788_o_zps116b3203.jpg

Bob, had a very quick and dirty go at how I would have cropped the shot - here it is. If you don't like it, drop me a PM and I'll dispose of it!

View attachment 11907

Thanks rich for popping by (y)
Crop it works, did not even try that as thought the water at the bottom would be a distraction, but not in this case.
Could you enlighten me about what you meant by "harsh" are we talking sharpening

I just felt it looked too bright and shadows have been lost slightly. Looking at them all now including my edit, I think the colours of your first image are really good and should be left as is, just crop to how you want it.

Reactions: RKC
I just felt it looked too bright and shadows have been lost slightly. Looking at them all now including my edit, I think the colours of your first image are really good and should be left as is, just crop to how you want it.
Thank you rich for feedback

Bob, had a very quick and dirty go at how I would have cropped the shot - here it is. If you don't like it, drop me a PM and I'll dispose of it!

View attachment 11907

Cheers Nod..........no idea how I missed your post earlier apologies, no need to remove anything mate it is good to see different ideas, for me thinkI prefer with a bit of foreground

Back