WRC 2014 - Clocaenog

Name
Rory
Edit My Images
Yes
Not having been at a rally for a few years especially a major WRC I was hoping for some keepers to be used at our camera club. Time and time again when motorsport images are judged, they always criticise the photographer for making the car look static.

I decided on a slowish shutter speed with a touch of fill in flash for these to see what they will say :)

Distractions in the bg will be removed.

rally1 by Rory Trappe, on Flickr

rally4 by Rory Trappe, on Flickr

rally5
by Rory Trappe, on Flickr

rally7 by Rory Trappe, on Flickr

Last edited:
Excellent. Nice to see car shots were the car is moving. Rather than the static show room type.

very impressive! was it difficult getting the car sharp with a slow shutter speed?

very impressive! was it difficult getting the car sharp with a slow shutter speed?
Hi Chou,

I set the camera to around 1/160th and used a flash at -2 power setting with a battery pack for quick bursts. In addition I set the flash to second curtain to assist in the blur effect.

If you look at this video taken by the TV crew using a Go Pro at 39 seconds you can see me in the top lhs :)

I am in a red jacket and you can see the flash going off a few times.

In addition I stayed away from the herd so I could get what i wanted without any upsets from other photographers etc

Last edited:
Great shots all round, only downfall is that I think if you had a circular polariser on your camera you would have been able to see through the windows at the driver and co driver. Other than that some good shots.

Back