Wrist strap needed

Name
mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks for all the advice on a main strap,i purchased the black rapid sport and love it,i now need a wrist strap but one that only connects to one camera strap lug on the camera not the base.I would also like it to have a quick release system so most of it can be removed quickly,I can find various items on ebay but one recommended for quality would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Search on eBay for paracord. I like the straps made by Cordweaver and he does some that use a mini Optech connector although I used standard ones so I could attach my Optech strap instead. Go for the caterpillar weave rather than the narrower version as it's definitely more comfortable.

Sorry to hijack the OP thead here, but how do you Op-Tech guys rate those plastic clips, i have been looking at the Op-Tech stuff but a little concerned that the plastic clips look a little too light duty for carrying round some rather expensive camera equipment......

..... someone please put my mind at rest as most of their stuff looks quite nice

Sorry to hijack the OP thead here, but how do you Op-Tech guys rate those plastic clips, i have been looking at the Op-Tech stuff but a little concerned that the plastic clips look a little too light duty for carrying round some rather expensive camera equipment......

..... someone please put my mind at rest as most of their stuff looks quite nice
Been using my wrist strap nearly 2 years now with no issues....felt a bit nervous at first dangling a D3100 from my wrist but most of the time I'm holding the camera anyway.

I use Op-tech.I have two plastic loops in place. If I use the wrist strap it just clips into one and the other hangs loose. If I want a neckstrap I use them both. Works for me and is flexible. Plastic clips have been foolproof so far. That's using a 5D3 plus anything upto a 70-200. No worries.

They're fine & much stronger than you may think.
You can buy `secure its`http://www.amazon.co.uk/TECH-Secure-Its-System-Connectors/dp/B004N623XY for extra peace of mind, or just cut your own Velcro strips.
If you won't be wanting to disconnect too often, you can use a cable-tie.

I've used my strap on my D700 (possibly gripped?) and 28-70 F2.8 and never felt like it was fragile. TBH though I don't let the camera swing freely all day from the strap, I hold the camera by the camera grip and have the strap as a way of stopping me dropping the rig if I happen let go. For my purposes a wrist strap is an easier alternative to having a neck strap getting in the way or bring wrapped round my wrist - when not in use I carry the camera in a bag.

Thanks every one i will do some comparing

Another Op-tech user here.. I've used one on my last 2 DSLRs (50d & 70d) with 17-55 lens. Never had any issues.

Just to say i am now an Op-Tech convert, bought the Sling Strap and have to say i am very impressed by the quality of both the sling strap itself and the quality of the connectors, they really are a good heavy duty design and look really well made too

I had a Cordweaver strap, although well made, it was a little too small for my large hands. I have now got a Leather Footprint strap where the owner Clive made one to size at no extra cost. These can be found on ebay if anyones interested.

I had a Cordweaver strap, although well made, it was a little too small for my large hands. I have now got a Leather Footprint strap where the owner Clive made one to size at no extra cost. These can be found on ebay if anyones interested.

Between the smaller bodied modern cameras and now wriststraps, it's great being a photographer with tiny girl-hands;)

Decision made going with the cordweaver,many thanks for the replies

I just ordered 15ft of paracord for £1.75. Gonna have a small lanyard hanging off the camera and use a small carabiner to attach it to a wrist strap (which i'l also make), or the straps of my bag, or anywhere really. Weaving paracord is easier than you'd think. :)

Here's my result. The carabiner is just a placeholder till something smaller comes (and steel, rather than aluminium).
The cord is rated to 550lb and tied in such a way that loops through the carabiner, then camera, then the shedload of fancy knots, so no chance whatsoever of surprise unravallings. Also no hard bits need to be left on camera so no damage whilst it's packed away in a bag.
15ft was just about enough, gonna order more for a sling type strap next. :)
Overall price for 65ft of paracord and a decent enough carabiner (rated 10kg, add £3 for 25kg) is about £10, plus an hour or so of your time.

Neat job,well done

Back