write speed is slow

Edit My Images
Yes
I have several sandisk extreme cf cards for my 5d Mk III. all 60mb/s, the issue i have is that they are very slow to write.

I have done a slow format on all of them only have one cf card in the slots now sd card as this i know slows it down.

I take a 30 second exposure and it takes the camera 36 seconds before i can view the image.

I was out last night with a friend who had the same set up but a different card a lexar 800x and his 30 second exposures were almost instant.

I can not see that 400x and 800x is that massive of a difference, or is it?

I have just ordered a sandisk 16GB Extreme Pro Compact Flash Card - 160MB/s at 1067x so it will be interesting to see the difference tomorrow night.

how long should a 30 second exposure take take on a 400x ? is there an issue with my 5d, any feedback would be great thanks.

You have long exposure noise reduction turned on.

What this does is take another shot of exactly the same shutter speed as the first and use it for noise reduction. The 30s corresponds exactly with this, try turning it off and trying again.

This seems to catch so many people that a "status message" on the LCD wouldn't be a bad thing.

You have long exposure noise reduction turned on.

^this.

If the pause is approximately the same as the exposure time, this is almost definitely the reason. Especially as you're noticing it on long exposure times.

Last edited:
It is not the card's fault at all. As RichardtheSane wrote, it's the long exposure noise reduction filter.
If you take such a long exposure, why hurry? Wait for it to do its thing. With my Olympus OM-D E-M5, I've noticed that it has a (positive) effect on the RAW files, so I don't turn it off.

Back