Wye Valley Butterfly Zoo

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Went on my first trip to a butterfly Zoo
I'm fairly happy with the shots, most have been cropped and some have had the levels/contrast tweaked, as I'm fairly new to photography I'd like comments on what i could do to improve.
Camera D90 & lens was a Sigma 105mm macro a SB600 flash was used.

5776344008_3cf2544d26.jpg
[/url] Morpho Peleides by lloydie1963, on Flickr[/IMG]

5775746359_d457a8b315.jpg
[/url] Morpho Polyphemus by lloydie1963, on Flickr[/IMG]

5775743111_fa2aa85274.jpg
[/url] Mormon Butterfly by lloydie1963, on Flickr[/IMG]

5775739275_cc6a1b1b15.jpg
[/url] Owl Butterfly by lloydie1963, on Flickr[/IMG]

5775735995_a147a15286.jpg
[/url] Siproeta Stelenes by lloydie1963, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind comments, like i said I'm fairly new to all this and learning all the time. A lot of shots were taken, lots with a wing tip or body slightly out of focus which would otherwise made for a good shot.

Nice set- may I ask how did you keep the lens from misting up in that hot damp place :shrug: I use the same lens- great aint they?

Les (y)

I had no problems at all with misting on the lens, I did put the screw on hood onto the lens whether this made a difference or not I cannot say but there was plenty of moisture about, see image

5776357484_df71d98f4b.jpg
[/url] Tropical plant by lloydie1963, on Flickr[/IMG]

The lens is superb, I had some great results at a friends wedding recently (shots from the chest up) that were pin sharp,

Last edited:
I think overall its a really great set of images, you have done a great job with nice focus, lovely sharp butterfly's a couple of things that I have noticed is that on #2 it is cropped a little tight at the top and #6 is a little be lost in the image because the black on the wings merges into the BG a little but then that is because of the butterfly more than you (y)

I only hope that we get some images like this at the upcoming meet which looks to be going to be at Stratford butterfly farm

Matt
MWHCVT

I have noticed is that on #2 it is cropped a little tight at the top and #6 is a little be lost in the image because the black on the wings merges into the BG a little but then that is because of the butterfly more than you (y)

I only hope that we get some images like this at the upcoming meet which looks to be going to be at Stratford butterfly farm

Matt
MWHCVT

Thanks for the comment, just looked at the original image of #2 and unfortunatly the crop is almost the same just a little more leaf under the butterfly in the original , I must admit that "the crop is too tight " does seem to be a comment that comes up more often than not when asking for critique , it's something i must consider when framing/cropping a shot in future

Last edited:
Back