X100 Questions

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Recently picked up a used X100, and shot a wedding with it this weekend (with my 5Ds) and have a few questions/issues/confusion(s) about a few things, Im wondering if anyone could help?

Firstly - exposure. I like to shoot in manual. I thought the EVF would give you an exposure preview (i thought that was the whole point?) to help with settings? It doesn't seem to change regardless of what settings I choose?

Next, inbetween shutter speeds... The dial on the top goes from 1/250th - 1/500th etc, but not the 1/3rd stops inbetween... how do I do that? For example 1/320th?

Focus - I have the "correct AF display" ON - which now gives me two boxes... which I understand.. however, when I focus on anything, I now get a third box (sort of inbetween the two?) - what is this?

Histogram - again in EVF mode, I have a histogram - except it doesnt change when I change my settings? I again assumed this would reflect your current exposure (otherwise, what use is it?)

WB - This is a weird one, I cant seem to get it right. Shooting on either Auto WB or specific settings (daylight etc) it just doesnt look "right" - compared to what Im used to on my 5D. No matter what adjustments i make in LR afterwards, it seems off.. cant get my head around it

Lightroom Calibration - I have noticed that when I import to LR, I have a long list of calibration profiles - about 50(!?) which I dont know what they are. With the Canon I never altered this, but Im slightly confused by all the choice on the Fuji files - which one do others pick? I am currently using Velvia 50, but have about 5 other Velvia's and a whole host of Provia's to pick from..?

Love the camera, and although Ive only had it 1 day, Ive learnt a lot so far... but some of these above things seem to make no sense to me?

Any help much appreciated!

Recently picked up a used X100, and shot a wedding with it this weekend (with my 5Ds) and have a few questions/issues/confusion(s) about a few things, Im wondering if anyone could help?

Firstly - exposure. I like to shoot in manual. I thought the EVF would give you an exposure preview (i thought that was the whole point?) to help with settings? It doesn't seem to change regardless of what settings I choose?

Is should. But bear in mind due to the leaf shutter the camera may not be able to achieve your chosen shutter speed, so the EVF shows what will happen

Next, inbetween shutter speeds... The dial on the top goes from 1/250th - 1/500th etc, but not the 1/3rd stops inbetween... how do I do that? For example 1/320th?

you can set 1/3 stop for iso and aperture using the jog switches on the bak

Focus - I have the "correct AF display" ON - which now gives me two boxes... which I understand.. however, when I focus on anything, I now get a third box (sort of inbetween the two?) - what is this?

Histogram - again in EVF mode, I have a histogram - except it doesnt change when I change my settings? I again assumed this would reflect your current exposure (otherwise, what use is it?)
No idea for the extra focus points. The histogram maybe the same issue as exposure preview?

WB - This is a weird one, I cant seem to get it right. Shooting on either Auto WB or specific settings (daylight etc) it just doesnt look "right" - compared to what Im used to on my 5D. No matter what adjustments i make in LR afterwards, it seems off.. cant get my head around it

Lightroom Calibration - I have noticed that when I import to LR, I have a long list of calibration profiles - about 50(!?) which I dont know what they are. With the Canon I never altered this, but Im slightly confused by all the choice on the Fuji files - which one do others pick? I am currently using Velvia 50, but have about 5 other Velvia's and a whole host of Provia's to pick from..?

Love the camera, and although Ive only had it 1 day, Ive learnt a lot so far... but some of these above things seem to make no sense to me?

Any help much appreciated!

Its a fantastic camera, but does take a bit of getting used to. I've made some custom profiles in LR. From the available profiles I'd use standard, but I'm wondering if you have VSCO installed with all those profiles?[

Last edited:
The little green box appear to confirm focus, its position sort of tells you the framing. The position of green box should be the same as how much the frame lines have moved. (eg. closer focus, the more green box is close to the bottom right, the frame line also move to bottom right)

I actually much prefer x100's auto-WB to Canon 5D2. All the colours looks right. But if you are trying to mix the two together, it's very difficult to make both photos feel the same. Unlike Nikon-Canon, photos on this Fujifilm camera have a special feel to them.

As mentioned, I've only got the standard few profiles in LR, same ones you can find in the camera.

I'm unsure on exposure preview, I use OVF whenever possible. Are you sure you haven't got auto-ISO enabled? in P mode, try adjust exposure compensation, the EVF should show the changes.

Thanks for the replies.

Definitely not got auto-ISO enabled (prefer to shoot 100% manual) but really struggling with the EVF not representing my final image (at all!). I too prefer to use the OVF, but had hoped to use the EVF to preview the exp before flicking back to OVF for a more realistic feeling of the photo, before taking it.

I do like the colours, but Im just struggling with the WB. I was shooting in a fairly shaded area, so naturally had my WB on shade mode. When comparing the images to my 5DIII & 85mm lens, they look totally different... with the X100 being a lot cooler - but putting it on Shade WB in LR (shot RAW) makes it go a lot warmer than the 5DIII files - and it seems impossible to get them similar.

Will need more playing I think!

Also, with regards to sharpening... im finding this quite different to Canon RAWs too! What settings are others using for base ISO 200 images, sharpening in LR?

Back