weekly XenosElaine's 52s Thread - Support added

Name
Elaine
Edit My Images
Yes
Only just joined TP, so I'll have to get a wriggle on to catch up! Taken a few today to fit some of the first few themes. Here's my first attempt for lines, a reeded glass door. Not sure whether to crop a bit of the blue off, or whether that would make it too dark.

23ii7fk.jpg

This is for Play, a couple of squirrels having their last frolic before bedding down for the night. WARNING: You are likely to see a lot more of these guys, because they spend a lot of time in my garden and I know exactly where their drey is, so I often catch them getting up and going home :)

biw95g.jpg

Last one for tonight, a Fairy liquid bubble

n6jyr.jpg

Hello and welcome to the mad house, i almost missed your thread due to no photos in this thread . Make sure you add a link back to here and update your thread title it makes finding you and commenting easier.

Week 1 Lines fits the theme nicely, i kind of like the to two toned colour effect.
week 2 Play again it fits the theme nicely with the 2 squirrels playing together. But i feel maybe more effort could have gone into composition, But i do understand they can be speedy little blighters to catch, i know i have tried and failed :banghead: .
Week 3 Close ( i am guessing ):thinking: if it is for close it fits the theme nicely it could also work well for week 4 theme bubble but i am confused as to which theme it's for.

:wave: Elaine, good start, well caught up :)

lines- I personally wouldn't crop, looks good to me

Play- good, just thought it might've looked better if they'd been closer together

Bubble- good colours in the reflection (y) I might have gone for a wider crop to get the bubble pipe? in :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! Little bit confused now by PBB's first comment about not having anything in the photo only thread yet. I thought we could put as many ideas as we wanted to in our own threads and then post the one we decided on in the other thread. Is that not right? I've done a couple more lines ones this morning and hadn't decided which one I wanted to put in the main thread. Do I have to put the first one in?

I fully agree about the composition of the squirrels! Was hoping to get them a bit closer when I saw the one on the right approaching the other, but the one on the left decided to make a quick getaway into the leylandii immediately after this shot - far too quick for me :(

The bubble was meant for the bubble week. (Do I have to put them on here in order?) It's actually the top of a Fairy liquid bottle, not a bubble pipe, so not a very interesting base, that's why I cropped it right down.

Here are the other two line shots I've done today. First one is of my bathroom tiles with a neon glow added

312bo8h.jpg

2eakwfp.jpg

Close: an automatic door closer -

2ij3zop.jpg

Or CLOSE to the (knife) edge?

97tsm0.jpg

Hmmm, definitely like the knife better!

Not had much luck at all taking smokey shots and wondered at one point whether I'd get away with the plane shot. But as it's a vapour trail and not strictly speaking smoke, I think I might settle for this one

oi5h55.jpg

Or cropped?

fy1p9k.jpg

Hi Elaine...glad you made it :)

You are off to a good start catching up so quickly.....with regards to the topic ... it's just open to interpret as you wish...if you glance down the main thread there are lots of different ideas from everyone.

Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks Susie. Good to be amongst friends (y)

Good quick catching up - I like the knife edge best for close.

gosh you take some keeping up with Elaine you have been very busy :)

Line... like Mandy i like this one the colours are good, also I like the neon glow on the tiles, and I have to like the vapour trail it matches mine great minds and all that (y)(y)
Close.. the knife edge is the better one here :)
Play... fits the theme lovely to see squirrels at play :)
Bubble... love your bubble lovely colours and dof :)
smoke has been a bit of a problem for a few of us so yes it sort of fits the theme ;)

Last edited:
Good thinking Elaine, different and on theme (y)

Close I like the knife image, don't think I want to be on the wrong end of that knife, Fits the theme nicely well done.

Smoke it's a really tricky theme to do something different from someone else. Again it fits the theme nicely, but it does lack appeal as a image to me I prefer the cropped version.

Well done for catching up so quickly I look forward to seeing what else you come up with for the rest of your challenge :) .

Hi Elaine :wave:

Great stuff ... I particularly like: the bubble, the bathroom tiles, the knife and the cropped alarm. :beer:

Hi Elaine, welcome and well done for catching up, liking the aeroplane for line and the knife for close

Lines - I much prefer #1 but I'd keep the blue at the top as it adds something to the image
Play - The image is a bit busy but I'm afraid you've missed the focus on the squirrels
Close - I prefer #2. The conversion to mono has been done nicely and the use of a diagonal strengthens the image
Bubble - The round black reflection of the lens in the middle of the bubble makes it almost look like an eye
Smoke - Both these need straightening to fit the crop

Wow you have certainly got a few shots in here to catch up !!!!

For Crit - well as per peter above really, some great ideas, some need minor tweaks on crop etc :)

For me my fav is also No: 1, I like the blue in the image, adds some good interest without it I think it would be a bit dull :)

Also your idea for smoke is excellent, we all have them but you have thought of it, I prefer the crop image but would like to see more at the bottom to bring the red button just up a tad, say equidistant to the RH spacing.

Great Start :clap:

OK, first thoughts:-

1 Bit too pink

qx31ut.jpg

Last edited:
2 Bit out of focus
jgjfv8.jpg

Hi Elaine & welcome :wave:

Smoke...prefer the cropped shot...but then I'm partial to close up stuff

Bubble....in your face or what :D...like the crop & the brightness of the red bottle top

Lines....1st image for me , like the colors & crop as is

Close....that looks like an uber sharp blade...like the angle

Well done with your catch up (y)

Ya snuck Mineral in just as posted :)

Don't think the 2nd one is so much oof as just not focused in the right area...the lower area seems ok to me ?

The 1st one is a mix of lovely colors but no real focus /main point for me to see ?

Last edited:
3 hmmm, maybe......
29x918k.jpg

4 Bit too grey!
a25bw8.jpg

I'm not quite as much into pink as you PBB ;) so I tried toning it down a bit and I think I prefer this version

zx4f9y.jpg

But then I had another go at shooting the breeze block (No 2 above). Better focus here I think

fpbbfd.jpg

Tried spraying water on it to give a bit of shine and more colour depth, which had the unexpected result of creating microscopic bubbles, but I quite like the effect!

jb6c0x.jpg

who8wy.jpg

Hi Elaine...I'm fascinated by those breeze blocks...I had no idea they had so many interesting looking stones in them...I would never have thought of taking a pic, so well done to you :) I do prefer them without the bubbles, I find it distracts from the natural colours in the stones.

I think you're probably right Susie, but I picked the middle one in the end because it sort of reminded me of a river bed.

Your 2nd 'block' shot for me Elaine (y) some good detail there :)

I didn't realise these were breeze blocks until you said. I assumed, especially with the water, that it was some rocks taken on the seashore. As Posiview says they seem to lack a focal point.

Back