Wild Yellow beak ????

Excellent shot.....

Very nice quality shot indeed.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree here.

Apologies for being blunt, but there are too many faults in this shot, the angle the bird is flying is poor - no clear view of the head. If there was substantial background interest telling a story of where the bird was heading then you might have got away with it, but there is just a contrasty set of trees.

The light is very harsh which has lost a lot of the detail in the wings, both in the highlights and shadows, and whilst it may be something to do with the compression from hosting on here or your website, there does not appear to be a sharp focal point to the shot

Some Herons do have quite Yellow bills, probably the light, and angle is playing a part here. I think that is the purpose of your post "Yellow beak ????" Neil

Some Herons do have quite Yellow bills, probably the light, and angle is playing a part here. I think that is the purpose of your post "Yellow beak ????" Neil
Yes Sir
I was not sure if it was a Heron or not so looking for some guidance

My apologies - great shot
I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree here.

Apologies for being blunt, but there are too many faults in this shot, the angle the bird is flying is poor - no clear view of the head. If there was substantial background interest telling a story of where the bird was heading then you might have got away with it, but there is just a contrasty set of trees.

The light is very harsh which has lost a lot of the detail in the wings, both in the highlights and shadows, and whilst it may be something to do with the compression from hosting on here or your website, there does not appear to be a sharp focal point to the shot

I agree with Mike here. The comments of Steve and Jeff are pointless and bourne of not really having a clue what makes a good bird shot. Same old story I suppose happens all the time on here.

Neil, you have posted some absolutely fantastic shots over the years, particularly your human study ones form the far east and in recent times you have also posted some pretty decent bird shots too but this is not one of them I'm afraid. Like it or not the critique offered by Mike is accurate and I assume aimed to assist rather than slag off. That said, hats for even trying a bif shot, they're never easy at the best of times. Keep at it tho.

Finally if you ever get sick of them wheels of yours, send em up to Aberdeen to me I'll give em a good home.:D;)

Im wondering if this is a stork, was this at a bird park the head shape and colour is not right for a heron, lazy ID on my behalf ?

I also agree with Mike, I'm afraid. The picture may be more or less sharp but in my opinion it doesn't have a lot else going for it. Oh....and a good view of the bird's feet....!

It's definitely not a grey heron. It may well be a Malaysian stork as suggested by Brash.

Back