Yep, you guessed it - Brands BSB!

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
First off, I know these aren't perfect, but I'm after genuine critique as I always want to learn how to improve. I'm still only in my younger months on photography and this was my first time at Brands GP, so I spent a lot of the day wandering around being fascinated by how many spots I could find to shoot from!

As well as not knowing the track, it was my first time shooting bikes, along with my first time out with both my new D7100 and my 70-200 f2.8!

Thanks in advance guys :wave:

BSB Brands Hatch by eyedea-media, on Flickr

BSB Brands Hatch by eyedea-media, on Flickr

British Superbikes 2013 (BSB) - Brands Hatch by eyedea-media, on Flickr

British Supersport Championship - Brands Hatch by eyedea-media, on Flickr

Follow the leader - Pirelli National Superstock 1000 - Brands Hatch by eyedea-media, on Flickr

I don't normally like bikes but 2 and 8 are absolute corkers.

Nice shots! 2 is a great low-speed pan. To get something that sharp at 1/30 is well ahead of what I was managing. I couldn't get longer than 1/100.

I don't normally like bikes but 2 and 8 are absolute corkers.

That's a nice compliment, thank you very much! :D

Nice shots! 2 is a great low-speed pan. To get something that sharp at 1/30 is well ahead of what I was managing. I couldn't get longer than 1/100.

Thank you! I've had a fair bit of panning practise, wish I'd have tried at 1/15th and 1/30th for longer because I was really close with some other risky pans.

Here's one of Shakey which sadly isn't quite as sharp as I'd like, otherwise it'd be one of my favourites:

These are great shots you should be proud and brands is a fantastic place to shoot from its one off my fave tracks I go there for the final round of bsb every year

Thank you Mandy! I think I'll be returning for the BSB later in the year too, I had great time shooting these.

stunning pictures mate, where was number 7 of shakey taken???

Thanks Lewis! Don't know Brands GP too well but just had a look at a map and it would appear it was Stirlings. I had spent the whole day walking around the track trying to find the best views. I had been walking through the woods for a bit, thought 'this looks like a decent corner' walked over to it and there was about 100 togs stood there! :LOL:

Hey Bill :wave:

Looks like you have come on a bit more here (y)

200mm is a bit short for bikes in most cases and they are notoriously shaking subjects that don't take well to slow pans unless you do happen to catch a smooth patch - which is pretty rare. Nothing you can do with technique, its not you moving its the subject!

Still you had a nice play "out back" here, was this Saturday?

Hey Bill :wave:

Looks like you have come on a bit more here (y)

200mm is a bit short for bikes in most cases and they are notoriously shaking subjects that don't take well to slow pans unless you do happen to catch a smooth patch - which is pretty rare. Nothing you can do with technique, its not you moving its the subject!

Still you had a nice play "out back" here, was this Saturday?

Hey buddy, was hoping you'd visit (y)

Thanks for the compliment, like to think I've improved a little. Did compromise the extra reach the 70-300 offered for the, well, better at everything-else-ness of the 70-200! I'd quite like your opinion on TC's actually, as that's what I was intending to move towards, however I've read insanely mixed opinions.

Glad it wasn't just my technique on the pans then, although I feel it could've gone worse.

Was great to get out back, really enjoyed it, tried taking something absolutely everywhere I could and didn't stay in one place for more than 20 mins so I could try and see all it had to offer. Had to leave early as I was shooting a drift event in the evening so didn't get to see the sidecars, which I'd have liked.

Yup, was the Saturday, had a family event on the Sunday sadly so I couldn't attend that, as much as I wanted to!

i like these.. 2 is right on the money. good stuff

Thank you! :)

Some nice low speed pans here have tried these sort of shots but with no joy

Thanks Gary, got you on Flickr and was really admiring the shots you had got so nice to get a compliment from you!

Like the slow pans Bill, they work nicely. Hope you enjoyed the GP loop, certainly opens up a few more options.

Last edited:
Tc...in my opinion they are good useful kit for long primes and less so for zooms. I have on occasions tried pushing it with my seventy to two hundred but always get disappointing results. Think I've only ever had one shot I liked with it on!

Like the slow pans Bill, they work nicely. Hope you enjoyed the GP loop, certainly opens up a few more options.

Thank you Neil, certainly enjoyed having a little more variety and no fences to avoid!

Tc...in my opinion they are good useful kit for long primes and less so for zooms. I have on occasions tried pushing it with my seventy to two hundred but always get disappointing results. Think I've only ever had one shot I liked with it on!

Which TC was that using? I assume even the TC-20E III is disappointing?

Will be a shame if it is, thought it seemed a bit too good to be true! :(

I've got a 1.4 and a 1.7. The two times is meant to be ok now but you can't get away from what it does and how it does it.

I've got a 1.4 and a 1.7. The two times is meant to be ok now but you can't get away from what it does and how it does it.

I've heard in the past that you can get away with it with a 1.4 or a 1.7 but with a 2.0 it's a bit more difficult. Although not owning all three, I can't verify this.

I have a 1.7 for when I just need a little bit more range. I suspect I'd be better off with a longer focal length lens, but I'd rather make do with the kit I have now than have to lug around twice as much.

Why's it a struggle with 2x? Just a bit TOO much zoom? I can see what you mean there, the 1.4's and 1.7's don't really seem to have good reviews unlike the TC20E III.

Do get what you mean Andy, no real perfect solution out there without breaking the bank further!

Quality just falls away with two times, it's really pushing the envelope. The new one its better but you are losing two whole stops, which makes af less accurate

Back