Yesterday in Liverpool

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
The big question here is that if you were a footy fan, and these were your grounds would you be interested in buying an A3 print for £50? :) I've been asked to make 12 stunning shots of Liverpool including the two clubs. Now outside the two clubs is just THE worst architecture ever. I've got to enquire about getting permission to shoot inside. If I could get inside and do some HDR's in there I'd be sorted. For now I'm going with outside as its public ground so fair game in theory.

IMG_8074-54_2-52_3-53.jpg

IMG_8092-63_0-61_1-62.jpg

IMG_8116-66_4-64_5-65.jpg

IMG_8199-79_200-80_201-81.jpg

IMG_8209-83_10-84_08-82.jpg

IMG_8231-90_29-88_30-89.jpg

Lovely shots pete, and really like the 1st one of the Everton ground, as for paying 50 quid, I wouldn't but I'm not a football mad and from liverpool. An football fans do like to spend their money supporting their clubs.

3 & 4 for me. Can't help with the £50 either as I'm not a footie fan. I like the pics though the colour treatment is really great on the 1st 2.

I want to say I like the Anfield shot... But I shouldnt :p

The HDR's by the museum is it ? I am still trying to work out If I like your creative angles. However I feel the exposure is great.

I want to say I like the Anfield shot... But I shouldnt :p

The HDR's by the museum is it ? I am still trying to work out If I like your creative angles. However I feel the exposure is great.

Yeah just around that area. Personally I feel the angles add to the drama of the shot.

Great shots....BUT

I think to sell them to a fan, they need to be reminiscent of the fans experiences at the ground. Eg, the first one being half sky....While it looks pretty, it's not going to appeal to your average footy fan.

What you need is views of a nice busy game, or less 'arty' shots of the buildings IMO. Something they can look at and instantly in their subconcious, remember their times there..if that makes sense :)

Great shots....BUT

I think to sell them to a fan, they need to be reminiscent of the fans experiences at the ground. Eg, the first one being half sky....While it looks pretty, it's not going to appeal to your average footy fan.

What you need is views of a nice busy game, or less 'arty' shots of the buildings IMO. Something they can look at and instantly in their subconcious, remember their times there..if that makes sense :)

Yeah it does but the company comissioning me to do these shots wants them in the similar arty style as my others. So all I've got to go on is the fact that they're into unusual and unique art and wanted me to take some different shots. Ideally I'd love to do uber wide angle ones in the ground with fantastic skies. I'm no expert but I'm sure people remember the inside more than the out :) Its just the legal issues in selling them is all.

I think £50 isn't far off. I sold a few 20x30in for £40 from a rowing event, if that helps...?

I think £50 isn't far off. I sold a few 20x30in for £40 from a rowing event, if that helps...?

Ah well you see I'm selling 30x20'' prints for £200 online and £260 in their gallery :D I haven't yet sold any but its competitively priced against the other work there. I plan to make a big post about my recent exploits but I'm just waiting for one or two more things to be completed before i do :)

Yeah it does but the company comissioning me to do these shots wants them in the similar arty style as my others.

Ahhh I missed the bit about the commission, I thought you were doing them to sell off your own back to fans...

If theyve asked for your usual style, then they're bang on (y)
Numbers 2 and 6 being the better of the bunch :)

Ahhh I missed the bit about the commission, I thought you were doing them to sell off your own back to fans...

If theyve asked for your usual style, then they're bang on (y)
Numbers 2 and 6 being the better of the bunch :)

Ah no. While they are going to be for fans, they'll be displayed in a gallery in Liverpool in the business district. I think they're going after the more arty money spending businessman looking for that perfect Xmas gift for a mate than your average carlsberg drinking footy hooligan :) No offense to any football fans.

I am a huge Liverpool fan, and will be at Old Trafford this weekend watching them beat Man Utd :) ....... at least I'm praying ...

In terms of shots, I believe fans would be more interested in action shots from within the stadium, than off the stadium itself, or as an alternative after/before the game with fans turning up to the game in their colours of their team. I have seen some cracking shots of fans with red and white scarfs outside a chip shop somewhere before, doesn't sound right, but it works....

The Xmas gift thing for a professional might be better, again I'd be more interested in action shots or full stadium shots against architecture shots of the stadium.

In terms of your shots, i can't say i like the first 2 for obvious reasons ;) but the colours are captured really well and imo are vitally important to any fan.
3 doesn't quite do it for me, the Shankly gates for Liverpool fans might have been a better option. the last 3 of my fav's ... Funny that not a ground in site :)

I am a huge Liverpool fan, and will be at Old Trafford this weekend watching them beat Man Utd :) ....... at least I'm praying ...

In terms of shots, I believe fans would be more interested in action shots from within the stadium, than off the stadium itself, or as an alternative after/before the game with fans turning up to the game in their colours of their team. I have seen some cracking shots of fans with red and white scarfs outside a chip shop somewhere before, doesn't sound right, but it works....

The Xmas gift thing for a professional might be better, again I'd be more interested in action shots or full stadium shots against architecture shots of the stadium.

In terms of your shots, i can't say i like the first 2 for obvious reasons ;) but the colours are captured really well and imo are vitally important to any fan.
3 doesn't quite do it for me, the Shankly gates for Liverpool fans might have been a better option. the last 3 of my fav's ... Funny that not a ground in site :)

The company said the grounds, so I'm working on that really. I'm sure the fans would prefer shots of the footballers as the outside is just so unbelivebly dull. Is this the gate you mean?

shankly.jpg

Its even more dull than the others.

Think like a football fan.
What's dull to you, I or any number of other people instills all kinds of emotions, memories & thoughts in others.
Personally I'd dump the kooky angles and overt wideness - but that's just me. The cloud in the mono shots seems a bit too heavy, too... I think you want more clear sky, similar to the first ones.

you need some match-day shots Pete, fans in front of club badge etc...

I have been grafting in'pool for 2 weeks and the camera shops are naff?

No independent stores anywhere just these; jessops, jacobs and C*rry's Digital.

Where do you shop pete? (non-online)

The company said the grounds, so I'm working on that really. I'm sure the fans would prefer shots of the footballers as the outside is just so unbelivebly dull. Is this the gate you mean?

shankly.jpg

Its even more dull than the others.

They may be dull but they'll mean more to any Liverpool fan than pics of the Paisley Gateway. These are the words of Liverpool football club and more so of the Hillsborough tradegy, so evoke some strong memories.

Not trying to make a point, just offer a footy slant on things .....shots of people on match day outside the grounds when full is what I would buy.
If you can get inside and shoot photo's of the KOP when full and singing, you'd sell hundreds...

Not the best photo by any stretch and not my own work but is the stadium .
274911957_a19f8a5725_o.jpg

Liverpool v Reading on 25th Oct at 7.45 is next home game
Everton play Sheffield Utd at home thsi Saturday at 3pm.

Might be worth a visit...

Cheers, Neil

Think like a football fan.
What's dull to you, I or any number of other people instills all kinds of emotions, memories & thoughts in others.
Personally I'd dump the kooky angles and overt wideness - but that's just me. The cloud in the mono shots seems a bit too heavy, too... I think you want more clear sky, similar to the first ones.

The last 3 shots aren't for footy fans :) I'm trying to produce pictures of Liverpool in a way thats completley different to anything else ever done. That way they'll sell :) Every year you see the same old calendar photos. I want the bold dramatic skies to go with the bold architecture. I want powerful strong images to give people a sense of awe.

They may be dull but they'll mean more to any Liverpool fan than pics of the Paisley Gateway. These are the words of Liverpool football club and more so of the Hillsborough tradegy, so evoke some strong memories.

Not trying to make a point, just offer a footy slant on things .....shots of people on match day outside the grounds when full is what I would buy.
If you can get inside and shoot photo's of the KOP when full and singing, you'd sell hundreds...

Not the best photo by any stretch and not my own work but is the stadium .
274911957_a19f8a5725_o.jpg

Liverpool v Reading on 25th Oct at 7.45 is next home game
Everton play Sheffield Utd at home thsi Saturday at 3pm.

Might be worth a visit...

Cheers, Neil

I must admit that I passed on the chance to visit Anfield last week when there was a game on. Hanging around outside a football stadium with a hell of a lot of football fans didn't seem like my cup of tea. However, I'm going to try and brave the Everton game today. The Liverpool game won't work. 7:45 will be too dark as sunset is at 6pm. Unless of course everyone turns up 2hrs early?

...and how did you get the contact in the first place?

Nice shots, I'm not 100% you need the hdr. The shots are well composed and I think they would look good just normal. What market are you selling to?

Without HDR they'd just be another shot of Liverpool and the stadiums. With HDR they are like no other shots taken, and that is something potentially sellable. The market is potentially corporate and beyond that I'm not 100% sure. Anyone this company knows I guess.

...and how did you get the contact in the first place?

I just heard about them and sent an email wondering if they'd like to sell any of my work and they do.

The next time I am at UTD I am planning to get a shot of close to this. Thanks to my mates tickets I believe it will be possible using the 30D and the 10 - 22

canoneosshot.jpg

Ah but can you do anything with it comercially? Thats the big question. Its private property.

Ok some updates from match day. Some crazy angles to hide the over flowing bins and to fit everything in.

275995527_5d94335b2e_o.jpg

275995489_4a41d38691_o.jpg

275995459_69454d5531_o.jpg

275995403_4be731dbe8_o.jpg

275995353_525b1216f8_o.jpg

275995315_0f03b5a55b_o.jpg

275995280_7cd57f6466_o.jpg

3rd one for me, Pete (y)

Much better imo - Love the last one, even if it is blue.... :) the top 3 of anfield, still don't quite do it for me .. but 3 is my favourite.
Don't ask about the result :(

It is VERY hard to shoot :) Its like trying to make a cardboard box a work of art. I was hoping the flare from the sun would add a sort of spiritual thing to it. Maybe with the addition of fans this coming weekend it'll work out. Its a shame it isn't as red as Everton is blue though.

It is VERY hard to shoot :) Its like trying to make a cardboard box a work of art. I was hoping the flare from the sun would add a sort of spiritual thing to it. Maybe with the addition of fans this coming weekend it'll work out. Its a shame it isn't as red as Everton is blue though.

The fans on the Blue shots (Club name withheld :) ) really help add to the overall atmos. Anfield is an old ground so it lacking the new nice architecture that most of the modern stadiums have. I understand completely how tough it is - you'll get there. What about all B&W shots, with a single red scarf or hat? Bit cheesy and old hat maybe, but might be worth a shot ? :shrug:

The fans on the Blue shots (Club name withheld :) ) really help add to the overall atmos. Anfield is an old ground so it lacking the new nice architecture that most of the modern stadiums have. I understand completely how tough it is - you'll get there. What about all B&W shots, with a single red scarf or hat? Bit cheesy and old hat maybe, but might be worth a shot ? :shrug:
Yeah I guess its got potential. It is a bit cliched as I'm trying to go for "Wow I've never seen anything like that before." :)

Back