You get what you pay for!

Name
chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Bought a 28 - 80mm off ebay for £20 and a reversing ring for £2 had a play today in the garden. Nowhere near as good as some of the pics on here but I was happy with the outcome bearing in mind the budget! Used a mono pole and had to get fairly close.

Sold my 105mm a while back, wishing I hadn't but there you go.

DSC_0101 by [1url=[url]https://www.flickr.com/people/93917293@N03/]Mortalife[/url][/url], on Flickr

Comment always welcome, good or bad.

Regards
Chris

Looks pretty good Chris, there are many ways to do macro and not all have to be expensive as you have shown here. ;)

Thanks Alby, the only problem I have with this setup is the fact I have to get so damn close and the minute they fly off it makes me jump every time, but hey you cant have everything.

chris

I like this, I always thought their was some special things needed.

Did you really just buy a reversing ring and job done.?

If so can this be done with any lens (assuming you have the correct ring)

Chris I bet you're pleased at your shot is superb & with budget kit - it sure does show it can be done without spending a fortune :clap:

Excellent shot, I started with reversing ring for my 50mm though at the time I didnt know about the aperture issue and how to set it before reversing does your 28-80 have a aperture ring?

This section definitely needs a macro startup guide sticky to show people options when starting seen loads of people just assuming you need a 1:1 lens. Yes I was one of them once ;)

You should be proud of what you have achieved.

Thanks Daydreamer for those kind words, yes it just goes to show.

Hi Scott199, trust me this was taken with my D90 and a lens off eBay for 20 and reversing ring, I was surprised as anyone. I thought no way can this work just by turning the lens round, but it really does. Ok you don't get all the functions as you would with a true macro, but if you play around with it and understand its pitfalls etc it can give you some good results. I don't know if all lenses would work, you would have to do some research, but I have taken some close ups indoors using this setup on a tripod and it gives some really good sharp close ups.

Regards
Chris

This section definitely needs a macro startup guide sticky to show people options when starting

This is so absolutely true as I would benefit despite reading so much - 'in one ear & out the other ear' with me :(

Yep lens reversing or cheap extension tubes are definitely the way to go. I used to use these with a 50mm prime, and also tried with the kit lens. Works brilliantly! There is no real need for expensive kit with macro, you can get some amazing shots for about a tenner (on top of your existing camera setup of course). I think the most important factor is getting the lighting right (isn't it always?)..

Thanks Tintin124. Yes this lens I was using has an aperture ring. I bought reversing ring to use with my 50mm 1.4 prime only to discover that this does not have the aperture ring. I can still use it but I am limited. I find the cheapy one I got off eBay to be more user friendly!
Regards Chris

I bought reversing ring to use with my 50mm 1.4 prime only to discover that this does not have the aperture ring. I can still use it but I am limited.

Is it a canon by any chance? If so you can attach the lens to the body and hold down the DoF preview button and remove the lens (whilst the body is still powered on). Then revers mount the lens. Not sure about the other camera models but I'm sure there must be a similar approach possible.

Hi TimmyG no it's a Nikon however I can set the dof with lens on body normal way round then reverse it to use. But I can't change dof when it's in reversed position, not perfect but workable.
Regards Chris

Oh and I can't seem to use my flash with revering ring. Anyone know how to overcome this please?
Chris

Back