You Know What Really Grinds My Gears...

Name
Gergo Toth
Edit My Images
Yes
... people who look at me with my D3200 and 55-300mm like haha mine is better and more expensive, faster etc. than yours, but they use auto modes on their over £1000 DSLR from the same spot, whole day :clap:. Cheaper camera can do really good pictures if you know how to use it and if you have a special view to frame the moment. My friend has D3100 and he's pictures are awesome. Also check what pro's say about cheaper DSLRs or the 'Pro Photographer, cheap camera' series on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7ECB90D96DF59DE5)

What really grinds your gears on events, shows, etc?

Not much... opinions are like @ss#oles; everyone has them and they all stink sometimes.

If there *is* one thing that really annoys me is someone with a little knowledge acting like they know it all. Things like holding onto a compositional guideline as if it were handed down by god. Or reading something on the web, not really understanding what they're reading/seeing, and then spouting the (mis)information all over the place as fact.

But, I can't really do anything about those things either so it's better just to let it go. (But I can't seem to stop myself from "trying" first).

sounds like you need a new clutch old chap..:D
i also have been there holding the badge of power on my 3 NIKON bodies and prime AI NIKKORS

now i say knickers and get good results...thoughtfully and carefully with my G1 and kit lens
but....now i have digital i can use my own methods to get the shot i want:ty:

Life really is much, much to short to get wound up by such nonsense.

i wonder if folks would tape over their white lettering or stick on one saying...cheapo

nothing about photography winds me up each to his own. Unless i'm actually with some else who is "into" photography I just get on with it.

Perhaps the OP needs to take a chill pill or have something more important going on in his life.

... people who look at me with my D3200 and 55-300mm like haha mine is better and more expensive, faster etc. than yours, but they use auto modes on their over £1000 DSLR from the same spot, whole day :clap:

People who look down their noses at others who use auto modes on expensive cameras.

Bob

What really grinds my gears is someone with a D3300 and kit lens taking way better picture then me on my D810 and Zeiss lens. Don't they know it is all about the equipment!!
#all the gear, no idea
:)

I noticed a design flaw in my with my camera last night. I was out walking around my village with my camera and it started to rain slightly.

No big deal I thought, I put my camera inside my coat and started walking home, only to find the camera would insist on moving itself flat with the lens pointing forwards making me look like I was carrying around Kuato from Total Recall

... people who look at me with my D3200 and 55-300mm like haha mine is better and more expensive, faster etc. than yours
Seems like it's more a problem with you being more conscious of their gear than they are of yours. You dont know what they are thinking, so just ignore it.

Someone already beat you to that joke though :)

Gear snobs? Leave em to it.

The ones that get to me "Gear snobs",are the one who have a go at people with GAS,then go on to say "i only shoot with with my Leica & a couple of Leica prime lens" :(

... people who look at me with my D3200 and 55-300mm like haha mine is better and more expensive, faster etc. than yours, but they use auto modes on their over £1000 DSLR from the same spot, whole day :clap:. Cheaper camera can do really good pictures if you know how to use it and if you have a special view to frame the moment. My friend has D3100 and he's pictures are awesome. Also check what pro's say about cheaper DSLRs or the 'Pro Photographer, cheap camera' series on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7ECB90D96DF59DE5)

Bloomin' heck, how long have you been a mind reader?

Some skill!

Hi, everyone, newbie here.

I hate camera snobbery. I was on a photography FB page, and I posted about the new lens I'd bought. Most people were pleased for me, but someone said, "When you get bored of it, buy X." The lens he was harping on about was literally 3 x £ as the one I'd bought and not even the type of lens I was after!

Also, photography for me, isn't always about something being technically perfect. It can just be about capturing a moment, or a smile, or of a happy memory.

Hi, everyone, newbie here.

I hate camera snobbery. I was on a photography FB page, and I posted about the new lens I'd bought. Most people were pleased for me, but someone said, "When you get bored of it, buy X." The lens he was harping on about was literally 3 x £ as the one I'd bought and not even the type of lens I was after!

Also, photography for me, isn't always about something being technically perfect. It can just be about capturing a moment, or a smile, or of a happy memory.

Did you tell him to take some photos of "where the sun don't shrine" with is X lens :D

Ha ha do you go to the same camera club as me???

I get the same but what matters is the final image. I'm not blowing my own trumpet but the comments I've had the most when posting pictures on here or FB are "Wow you wouldn't think that's from a 550D and 18-55 kit lens" (well...along those lines anyway lol). The 18-55 kit lens is the only one I haven't replaced with an L lens, but to be honest I don't think I'll bother. I've had some lovely sharp pictures with thew kit lens just as long as you don't pixel peep to see how sharp it is. I'm quite happy with it and to me kit lenses are underrated.

Don't let the brand/better equipment snobs get to you(y) I've spent more than I planned on my equipment for it to be a hobby and I don;t plan on spending any more either.

This is one I got whilst messing about with my collie one night and some grey paper. It's by no means technically perfect but I loved the way the 18-55 kit lens picked up every little stand of hair on his face...well the bits that are lit up anyway lol.
Shep by Peanut651, on Flickr

My phone pings with subscribed threads! I recognised the name from a social media site!!

Technically you may be stalking me

My phone pings with subscribed threads! I recognised the name from a social media site!!
I did guess that the name gave it away. I have one of those faces as well.

Technically you may be stalking me
Dam it!

What also gets my goat is when you are asked to give constructive feedback on a photo in a flickr group that has specifically been formed for critiquing. You don't particularly like the photo, but don't say that and try and be as positive as possible, at first; explaining firstly what you like, and what is good. But then you give a small amount of negative feedback, and someone acts like you've just told them Santa doesn't exist, and they throw a strop. :eek:

I did guess that the name gave it away. I have one of those faces as well.

Dam it!

What also gets my goat is when you are asked to give constructive feedback on a photo in a flickr group that has specifically been formed for critiquing. You don't particularly like the photo, but don't say that and try and be as positive as possible, at first; explaining firstly what you like, and what is good. But then you give a small amount of negative feedback, and someone acts like you've just told them Santa doesn't exist, and they throw a strop. :eek:

It happens on here occasionally .....in the critique section!!!

And what do you mean Santa doesn't exist

Gorgeous picture, Cave Dweller. I have the 600D and I LOVE it! :D

I had to think carefully about what grinds my gears. I'm not bothered by other people's cameras. I mainly shoot with old film cameras, and I feel privileged to use them, even though they usually cost me significantly less than even an entry level DSLR. I certainly don't feel that my cheap old film cameras are inferior to the fullest framed DSLR ;) I'm just doing it different - a humble Norfolk tradition. I don't even know what a D3200 or a 600D is, except most likely that they are Canon or Nikon DSLRs.

Now the confession - I DO have an issue that grinds my gears, with the present day obsession with Adobe software, and over the top post process image editing. I know that I should just let others get on with it - their choice, their art. But every time that I walk into a newsagent and see so many photography magazines pushing Adobe this, and Adobe that, as though it was the most important part of photography, I do feel a little grind in the gears - just a little. What's wrong with teaching kids post process using Open Source software anyway?

Lol....that last line came out of left field

I thought you were having a pop at digital editing, but no.....its Adobe...o_O

There's gotta be a story behind that...:D

I use PSE to "tweek" photos a little, or to go a little crazy with silly photos. For me, I really dislike HD photos that have obviously been photoshopped to DEATH! :hungover:

Lol....that last line came out of left field

I thought you were having a pop at digital editing, but no.....its Adobe...o_O

There's gotta be a story behind that...:D
Sure I'm left field - and I can laugh at myself. I just think that capturing light in a box is more important than sitting in front of a pooter for hours, using software under a restrictive licence issued for profit, by a global software empire. Adobe didn't do anything to me I swear. Just as Microsoft, Google, Facebook, and Yahoo didn't. It's just that for my fairly minimalist approach to post process, I find that Open Source software does more than I need. I can't help feeling that this is the case for many other amateurs - but they get hoodwinked into splashing out for software that they don't need. The photography media encourage people to buy in.

Probably the thing that most upsets me (I can't really say "annoy") is when people ask how they can improve a specific photograph, and don't mean (and will ignore) comments on composition but mean "what can I do in Photoshop to improve this?". If people want to have digital editing as a hobby fine; but I'd rather they didn't call it photography and diminish the rich idea of photography into a small sub set of the whole. I also rather feel that if they tried photography they might even get to like it :(.

The photography media encourage people to buy in.
Don't they just (and is a main reason why I can't stand mainstream photo magazines), and with a vengeance into hardware as well as software ... it's all about consume, consume, a shallow privilege of the richer civilisations ...

Last edited:
Probably the thing that most upsets me (I can't really say "annoy") is when people ask how they can improve a specific photograph, and don't mean (and will ignore) comments on composition but mean "what can I do in Photoshop to improve this?". If people want to have digital editing as a hobby fine; but I'd rather they didn't call it photography and diminish the rich idea of photography into a small sub set of the whole. I also rather feel that if they tried photography they might even get to like it :(.

Couldn't agree more! I've lost count of the number of post-processing suggestions I've seen made on utterly boring images. Playing in Photoshop doesn't make engaging and interesting images, choosing subjects carefully (or only choosing to show your best images to a wider audience) does!

Sure I'm left field - and I can laugh at myself. I just think that capturing light in a box is more important than sitting in front of a pooter for hours, using software under a restrictive licence issued for profit, by a global software empire. Adobe didn't do anything to me I swear. Just as Microsoft, Google, Facebook, and Yahoo didn't. It's just that for my fairly minimalist approach to post process, I find that Open Source software does more than I need. I can't help feeling that this is the case for many other amateurs - but they get hoodwinked into splashing out for software that they don't need. The photography media encourage people to buy in.
I keep thinking I should get away from Adobe... especially now that they're pushing everyone to subscription based.

Back