Young Athletes League Finals

W

whiteflyer

A few from the McCain Young Athletes League finals this weekend, I did spend a fair amount of time chatting to the tog from Athletics Weekly who was friendly and quite willing to pass info on, and so I learnt a huge amount for next time I shoot track and field, the main thing being I NEED a 300mm f2.8 IS L and a 1d mkIII :LOL:

2844522628_d75b64ae00_o.jpg

2843685111_8f08409d5f_o.jpg

2844521896_db2e8423e4_o.jpg

2844522940_27bb6f7150_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice set of shots.......the 300mm IS 2.8L is a great lens for this sort of thing (y) although as Kipax says you don't need the IS.

Nice set of shots.......the 300mm IS 2.8L is a great lens for this sort of thing (y) although as Kipax says you don't need the IS.

I didn't think canon did a 300 2.8 L without IS ?? Your still looking at over £5K for lens and body which is out of my range at the moment (well I cant justify spending that much)

I also need to be more organized when doing large events, as I'm getting emails ask for so and so in the whatever race and I don't even know which race I took shots of. :bang::bang:

I also need to be more organized when doing large events, as I'm getting emails ask for so and so in the whatever race and I don't even know which race I took shots of. :bang::bang:

If you can get a programme or list of competitors etc. use this for making notes or matching competitors to shots.

Some nice shots in there, #2 sticks out for me ( triple jump?)

Last edited:
I don't think you need a MK3 or a 300 2.8 IS...you did pretty damn good with what you have! :) Of course the feel good factor would be nice....but not necessary! :p

I really like no 1. and I will tell you why.

To me, it shows that you have started using your camera as a tool more and are thinking about making the shot, not just taking it. It really stands up well and I love the shape and form and the way the athletes and the hurdles fall away.

Nice one.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Pete that's a huge complement to me, at last some of my shots look more than just snaps. I did look at shots and how they where taken in Beijing and hopefully I have picked up a few tips.

I can't see how a 300/2.8 and a 1D3 could have bettered that first offering.....maybe made it more achievable, that's all.

Non-toggery question.....
Is is fluke that nearly all the competitors pictured have numbers divisible by 11
22, 33, 44, 55, 77, 88 :shrug:

Bob

Non-toggery question.....
Is is fluke that nearly all the competitors pictured have numbers divisible by 11
22, 33, 44, 55, 77, 88 :shrug:

Bob

The event was the club finals so each of the 8 clubs had a number 1-8 for the A stream and 11-88 for B stream, with clubs randomly selected which lane at each race.

Last edited by a moderator:
The event was the club finals so each of the 8 clubs had a number 1-8 for the A stream and 11-88 for B stream, with clubs randomly selected which lane at each race.
Cheers....just looked strange.

Bob

I'd be chuffed beyond words with any of these. My local paper - the Bucks Examiner since you didn't ask - has a couple of pics in today which I think are from this event but aren't as good as what's on here.

Looking at these shots you don't need to change a thing. What a great set.

I don't think you need a MK3 or a 300 2.8 IS...you did pretty damn good with what you have! :) Of course the feel good factor would be nice....but not necessary! :p

:agree: Great shots and love the angle of No 1.

Should be well chuffed with them

On a different note - how do you get access to photograph these ? - do you need written permission from the organisers?.

Rob

:agree: Great shots and love the angle of No 1.

Should be well chuffed with them

On a different note - how do you get access to photograph these ? - do you need written permission from the organisers?.

Rob

To shoot on the infield you MUST get permission from the organiser, due to the danger of the events, the Javelin, Hammer and Discus don't always go where they should.

Back