Young Willow Warbler ??

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
This is another bird that I hadn't seen previously, it was taken in Scotland, Oban area. It used to spend alot of time with the chaffinches, I have got pictures of another one thats very similar but with almost completely yellow tummy !! I think its a Willow warbler !!

willow1.jpg

Dean

www.camerabeanbags.co.uk

Nice photo Dean,could be a wood warbler not sure though.

Best from mike.

I feel this is a young Chiffchaff, dark legs, and buffy- brown below the throat. Both Wood warbler and Willow warbler are cleaner on the underparts. As a photo its a cracker love the raindrops.

Nice shot Dean. I agree with Cuddy that it's a Chiffchaff due to darker legs and also the dark eye stripe and darkness below eye on ear-coverts that makes the lower eye crescent show well.

I'm not sure still, I'm not sure that theese are the same birds, I did see 3 almost in the same area at once. I think the last 2 shots are of a different bird to the first, it was almost canary yellow on its breast.... be great to know for sure.

I'm going to post a few birds that I know for sure, just to put me out of my misery lol !!!

Dean

Hi Dean no 2 looks spot on for first winter Willow warbler. Nice strong eyestripe, clean belly, and good leg colour, still feel no 1 is a Chiffy. A good way to seperate these is primary projection, the legnth of the wings. Longer in a Willow they extend further past the rump than a Chiffy. Weather conditions can change the appearence of a bird, :thinking: i still struggle in the field with these sometimes, much easier when they sing :).

Found a link which may be of help, http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...willow+warbler&hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enGB249GB249

Again cracking photos.

regards brian.

Last edited:
Back