Critique Young Woodlouse

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Work and chores are preventing me from going out having fun at the moment, but I grabbed some time this evening to process some older shots. This was from a month or so ago and is a stack of 9 images. Sorry I can't remember what magnification it was, but I'm guessing around 4X as I recall it was quite a young woodlouse and very small compared to the adults.

Young Woodlouse by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Thanks Nick. Yeah it was stood still for quite a while. The 9 images were taken from a larger selection, but I got it down to 9 without including any duplicate areas of focus. So I guess it was standing still for a minute or so (quite a long time by most standards) but as you suggest, it was moving slightly. It was flexing a bit (I guess to keep air circulating - kind of like breathing) and waving it's antenna around. Although I did manage to get it in focus throughout, it had moved it's antenna by the time I got to the end. There are ways to get around this, but it can get quite complicated and time consuming, so in this case I decided to just exclude those few frames in the final stack, which is why the antenna ends are OOF.

The EOS-M with small 90EX flash doesn't recycle as quickly as my old setup, so it takes a second or two between frames. So probably this stack was probably over about 20 seconds, but as stated, I was shooting for a bit longer than that overall.

I should also say the OOF area at the front, was because part of the stone i found this under came up at that point (rather than being an abrupt end to the stack). As often happens when you shoot from low angles, getting any lower would have obscured the subject, so this was really at the limit.

Last edited:
Thanks Nick. Yeah it was stood still for quite a while. The 9 images were taken from a larger selection, but I got it down to 9 without including any duplicate areas of focus. So I guess it was standing still for a minute or so (quite a long time by most standards) but as you suggest, it was moving slightly. It was flexing a bit (I guess to keep air circulating - kind of like breathing) and waving it's antenna around. Although I did manage to get it in focus throughout, it had moved it's antenna by the time I got to the end. There are ways to get around this, but it can get quite complicated and time consuming, so in this case I decided to just exclude those few frames in the final stack, which is why the antenna ends are OOF.

The EOS-M with small 90EX flash doesn't recycle as quickly as my old setup, so it takes a second or two between frames. So probably this stack was probably over about 20 seconds, but as stated, I was shooting for a bit longer than that overall.

I should also say the OOF area at the front, was because part of the stone i found this under came up at that point (rather than being an abrupt end to the stack). As often happens when you shoot from low angles, getting any lower would have obscured the subject, so this was really at the limit.

Thanks for the background Tim.

EOS-M???? I'm out of touch. Can you point me to something(s) to get me up to date on this please? Presumably this part of your "making the kit lighter" move? EOS-M with the MPE? But the MPE is never going to be light. Hence the interest in achromats? I'm fascinated.

Thanks for the background Tim.

EOS-M???? I'm out of touch. Can you point me to something(s) to get me up to date on this please? Presumably this part of your "making the kit lighter" move? EOS-M with the MPE? But the MPE is never going to be light. Hence the interest in achromats? I'm fascinated.
Oh sorry Nick, you've been away far too long ;)
Yes I've been trying to reduce the size/weight of my kit, mainly for when I travel, however if I can reduce it for day to day use also, then even better. See these for some brief information about my endeavours:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/eos-m-for-macro.555980/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timmygspics/14938859743/

You are quite right though, the MP-E is a lot of bulk to start with so I might try exploring the achromat option for my mirrorless lenses. I don't need to get as high a magnification as I can with my larger setup, but if I can get acceptable images of any exotic collembola I might stumble across when out of the country (or even on my lunch break, I've started carrying the EOS-M with my to work now) then I'll be happy.

Beautiful shot, Timmy. Great light and details.
Thanks Kurt, glad you like it!

Tim that's an "Excellent" shot with some really great detail and lighting.(y)

I'm fasinated at the way you stack images to give you more DOF, and if and when I get a bit better at macro/close up work it's something I would like to have a crack at.

George.

Thanks @G.K.Jnr. You should definitely give stacking a try. It can be a bit challenging at first (well I still find it challenging actually) but I find it rewarding and worth the effort.

Brilliant Tim, I still don't know how you do this stacking and get the consistency of images to produce these types of stacks.

I do think a 50mm with raynox 202 with 1.4X TC may get the collembola I will try it for you.

Sorry for late reply been on a course all day.

Exellent shot and lovely subtle colours.
Clive
Thanks Clive!

Brilliant Tim, I still don't know how you do this stacking and get the consistency of images to produce these types of stacks.

I do think a 50mm with raynox 202 with 1.4X TC may get the collembola I will try it for you.

Sorry for late reply been on a course all day.
No worries, what have you been learning?

Really good Tim
nice to see you guys are still at it I haven't done any macro for ages

Really good Tim
nice to see you guys are still at it I haven't done any macro for ages
Thanks. Although I've not been doing nearly enough recently. I keep buying lottery tickets in the hope that one day I can afford more spare time!

Back