Youngster.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken this afternoon at a distance, all heavy crops.

With the 50D and 100-400

Between 1/400s-1/500 F6.3 trying out CTs recommendation of 800 ISO

Canon50D3756.jpg

Canon50D3753.jpg

Canon50D3763.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Nice photos Ant! The noise is more than noticeable though :(

think i gotta agree with phil on these though #3 has potential

Thanks Phil and Lea, I've run them all through Noiseware and reloaded them in Photobucket, so they should be less noisy now. You were right of course :)

Number 3 is lovely, what kind of bird is this

Alison :)

Thank you Alison :) As Pete says it's a young robin.

Looks like a fledgling Robin..... Neat image will kill the noise , great images :)

It is indeed a fledgling robin Pete :) The first one I've ever managed to capture. I've redone them and reloaded so they shouldn't be as noisy now.

how far away were you Anthony if you don t mind me asking as im about to upgrade to a 50d because its supposed to be better on the noise

I was aproximatly 14 yards away Karen, it was very overcast here, a possible reason for the amount of noise in the originals at 800 ISO.

I love this camera, and would recommend it highly, even though I still haven't managed to get anything from it at it's full potential.

I didn't see the originals Ant, but the NR is having an awful effect on the feather detail in these now. I'd love to see the original version if that's still do-able. (y)

Assuming they were as bad for noise as everyone seems to think they were, I'd put it down to the heavy crops.

It is a young Robin btw.

Last edited:
Pity about the noise Ant but great to see the young uns out (y)

I didn't see the originals Ant, but the NR is having an awful effect on the feather detail in these now. I'd love to see the original version if that's still do-able. (y)

Assuming they were as bad for noise as everyone seems to think they were, I'd put it down to the heavy crops.

It is a young Robin btw.

I've now changed them all back to my originals so you can see the noise problem CT,
Thanks for your advice.... again :)

Pity about the noise Ant but great to see the young uns out (y)

I was well chuffed :) When I first looked out my window I saw a goldfinch feedings its youngster, then a young robin calling for food. By the time I'd sorted myself out, everything had gone deathly quiet.
An hour or so later I went out to check why. and found the neighbours cat asleep just by the feeders.
Eventually this turned up in the apple trees :)

I've now changed them all back to my originals so you can see the noise problem CT,
Thanks for your advice.... again :)

I was well chuffed :) When I first looked out my window I saw a goldfinch feedings its youngster, then a young robin calling for food. By the time I'd sorted myself out, everything had gone deathly quiet.
An hour or so later I went out to check why. and found the neighbours cat asleep just by the feeders.
Eventually this turned up in the apple trees :)

:LOL::LOL:

Ant, all I've done here is reduced the gamma - the image was looking very wishy washy mate. ;)

3501780505_acd7cc5706_o.jpg

Hmmm, is this level of noise in the bg really that bad? You still have the option of course of running NR on the bg. You don't get this level of noise at 800 ISO with the 50D unless it's a very large crop.

Ant, all I've done here is reduced the gamma - the image was looking very wishy washy mate. ;)

3501780505_acd7cc5706_o.jpg

Hmmm, is this level of noise in the bg really that bad? You still have the option of course of running NR on the bg. You don't get this level of noise at 800 ISO with the 50D unless it's a very large crop.

Thanks Cedric :) That's definitly a big improvement on my first postings. I've adjusted them all a bit.

They were big crops, which hopefully explains the noise.

Back