your garden bird photography setup?

Name
phil
Edit My Images
No
had my 150-500 for a while now and thought i'd try and get some use out of it shooting the birds in my garden, now iv had a few goes on the bird feeders and am looking to get some more natural looking shots (ie on branches etc)

do you have pictures of your garden setups as im struggling to lure them into perching onto a log.

Anyway heres 3 shots from my first attempt

cheers

and a cheeky little squirrel....

I tend to have some which stay put and are 'for the birds' all year round and then have some which are for photography.

The 'photography' ones change and move around depending on the time of year because of the sun creating shade in different parts of the garden. Also different bushes and trees change colour or drop their leaves and obviously different birds visit.

This is just an example of a lazy one I sometimes stick by the kitchen window if i know I'll be at home for a few days without any time for photography. It's normally about 12 feet away and comes in very handy in the winter when it's freezing or raining as that's when many birds feed. It's also nice to have somewhere you can quickly grab a shot if something a bit unusual visits.

7178049542_94c9d837d1.jpg

In terms of the feeders set up for photography I think about:

Is the background natural and far enough behind the subject so I'll get a nice out of focus backdrop even if I want to stop down the aperture for greater dof on larger birds ?

Will the light be from behind me when I'm going to be shooting ?

Can I avoid sky as a background which makes life difficult ?

Have I chosen the correct style of perch to suit the type of bird that is going to come to the type of food that I've got in place ?

In the one above the branch is just stuck in the ground and then attached to the metal feeder at the other end. This stops the branch wobbling when a bird lands on it which is important as a lot of the time they only land for a second before moving onto the feeders. A thicker branch wouldn't move but some of the tiny garden birds do suit a thin perch. As there's only one branch (all about stacking the odds in your favour) I don't have to worry too much about where the birds are going to land when they form a queue so I can set up the camera settings 'more or less' right before the bird arrives.

Then it's just a case of waiting a few mins. If the light changes I'll just keep adjusting the ISO keeping it as low as possible but making sure the resulting shutter speed is going to remain fast enough. Once a few birds are on the feeders the next birds naturally land on the perch. I just try and focus on the eye using centre point focus. The bird will just be middle of the frame but I know there will be room to crop the composition regardless of whether the bird is facing left or right.

7178066156_0212118aa0.jpg

The branches I just pick up from anywhere and just chop and change depending on what birds are visiting.

7190559430_47a7bbe9f8.jpg

7183435314_6eaccc5550.jpg

Here's another random feeder elsewhere in the garden. Again there's a variety of branches stuck in the ground to provide perches based on direction of light and background relative to where I shoot from.

7190568448_c5f7b408d4.jpg

6990523416_c89afe3c74.jpg

I think it's really just trial and error, getting to know your light directions, what the birds eat, which birds visit and when and generally trying to stack the odds in your favour by perhaps removing some alternative feeders and perches whilst you shoot before putting them back again afterwards.

That's just my approach (for the garden at least) but I'd also be keen to know what others do.

Last edited:
You people like to make things difficult for yourselves :D It is so simple to get birds landing exactly where you want them. I havent got a picture, but all I do is that I have a single pole with a feeder on it and I cable tie my chosen perch onto this pole beside the feeder and position it how i want. then all you do is take your other feeders down and a queing system comes into place and you will get as many shots as you wish. Basically dont over complicate things and leave the birds as few landing places as you can.

do you have pictures of your garden setups as im struggling to lure them into perching onto a log.

A popular thing to do seems to be to spread peanut butter directly onto the branches, or to drill holes into the branches / trees and fill it with peanut butter so then the birds peck it out. Looks more natural. Also if its a stump or mossy area you can place the seed onto it.

Either that or you need the nearby perches to be sheltered enough for the birds to want sit on while waiting for a space on the feeder.

Like this thread :) I've been feeding many years.. Birds need branches (safety)! Our visitors don't bother with unshelled peanuts, much prefer Sunflower hearts cost is prob cheaper. I use https://www.littlepeckers.co.uk/ (only plugging as so good). Never understood how to upload here, but a 'branch' in my garden http://twitpic.com/9cwr59

Last edited by a moderator:
Back