Your thoughts against the Nikon D90

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
What are your thoughts, just having a browse through a mag and seems to be prices similar to the Canon 500D.

Are nikon classed better than Canons or is it pure personal choice?

but main question is the one i need some thoughts on though

Personal choice. :)

But as the saying goes "Nikon for PRO, Canon for show"

*I shoot Nikon* ;)

Well that's a question to get the fan boys out! ;) I have Nikon, but would recommend you do your own research and go to a shop and hold them in your hand before deciding...

theres nothing between the top 2 really, i just prefer the way nikons feel look and operate

Had the Nikon D90--loved it. Got some beautiful pictures from it. Top ISO was about 640 though, needed a better low-light performer so moved up to the D700. I've sold it now though, I have to say I do miss it :(

Had the Nikon D90--loved it. Got some beautiful pictures from it. Top ISO was about 640 though, needed a better low-light performer so moved up to the D700. I've sold it now though, I have to say I do miss it :(

Do you mean top ISO was 6400 ? I have used mine up to 3200 with acceptable results.

thing is, canon felt a little light when i played on it. But nikon felt large ish when i held that. its hard to tell pic quality in a shop while assitant breathing down my kneck.

have you got any pics with regards to iso640, i will be wanting to light trails etc as well as bright sunny days (in a diff country of course as they are all dull in the UK lol)

I meant the top ISO for me personally was ISO 640, I stretched to 800 but that was it.

a shot of my lad taken at ISO1600 on my D90... wouldn't exactly call anything above 640 unusable but each to there own...

3733483870_c432a184ba_o.jpg

thing is, canon felt a little light when i played on it. But nikon felt large ish when i held that. its hard to tell pic quality in a shop while assitant breathing down my kneck.

have you got any pics with regards to iso640, i will be wanting to light trails etc as well as bright sunny days (in a diff country of course as they are all dull in the UK lol)

another couple at 1600 for you. I wouldn't worry about the ISO performance if I was honest... Its on a par with with D300 and you don't hear too many people complaining about that. Admittedly the bar does seem to have been raised in the Pro area at the minute with the D700 but all other camera don't suddenly turn rubbish.

3733474880_d4662b5fea.jpg

3733475714_e784893088.jpg

a shot of my lad taken at ISO1600 on my D90... wouldn't exactly call anything above 640 unusable but each to there own...

I didn't say it was unusable, just not really what I wanted. Moved up from a D80 and it's certainly better than that for low-light performance but the D700 is in a different league.

ByThom sums it up nicely in the Pros section of his review:

"D90. Clean ISO to 800, very usable ISO to 1600."
http://www.bythom.com/nikond90review.htm

DXO Mark Sensor for low-light (RAW, on a scale of 0 to 2527):

D300: 679
D90: 977
D700: 2303

I've had some cracking prints from my D90 (printed up to 60 x 40 - so just over a five foot print) and the detail and quality has been stunning. Got the D700 purely for some exceptional low-light work.

Are nikon classed better than Canons or is it pure personal choice?

I've owned both brands and would happily take either and have no issues of any kind using them. I shot both together for a while. At this point in time price/performance and range on lenses goes to Canon overall. However, it really depends what you want to shoot, under what conditions and whether you're happy to pick and choose amongst the various lens brands. I've had no real problems with getting the lenses I need. I currently shoot Nikon because I prefer the handling over Canon, but I'm not dumb enough to think I couldn't get the same crummy results with any other brand!

So what's the overall budget and what do you expect to shoot mainly? I think any issues with the D90 have to be considered in context of price. I have one now as a back-up to my D700 and it replaced a D300. I wasn't getting much use from the D300 so sold it before the replacement was released. I got the D90 as a stop gap and it's definitely a step down, but for the price it's very good. AF isn't as good as the D700 for sure. Feels better than the cheaper Canon bodies. I have no issues with ISO performance and I doubt most people would.

I bought D90 over canon as the 450 felt very Fisher Price even in comparison to the D60 (which I also have) The D90 may be a step down from the D300/700 BUT it is a big step up from the D60, in terms of high ISO performance and in particular speed and reliability in focusing. For me the Live view and video have no real value, in fact I wish Nikon hadnt put the video on, it detracts from it being a "serious amatuers" camera (all IMHO of course!)

Whatever you buy will give you good results, but I have not regretted for one moment getting the D90, itsa great camera.

I am delighted with my choice, even though it cost me quite a bit more than the Canon

I am just thinking of getting a D90 and after reading your comments I think now its a question of when I get it not if.
Thanks Seawolf

Just to add, I lent the D90 to a friend of mine who has a D70s. I got an email saying he was going to be up all night playing with the camera as it was at least 10 times better than his in every respect!!! After taking around 700 shots over the week end (mainly show jumping) he was blown away with it in very respect, but especially the speed of focussing, motor drive, ability to set min shutter speed linked to the ISO etc.

He's now thinking of getting one instead of a d300.....

thanks much appreciated evan the D5000 seems to score high although no optional grip which did put me off as i want to do some portrait piccys too. further to a few tube video reviews and reading. i am swaying the nikon route.

i think its back to the shop for a longer play.

I've had a D90 for 3 months (had a D70s for 2 years) and I can't recomend it enough. Superb image quality and relative ease of use make it a fine DSLR.

Fungus

thanks for the advice. after some research on flickr etc, the kit lens is impressive i must say.

a canon 40d or 50d might be bigger size wise if you fnid the 500d too small (I'm not sue of the sieze of that but the 40 and 50 are both a fair bit bigger than the 400 and 450.

Enjoy whatever you decide.

After researching my first DSLR for months I effectively concluded that the contenders in a given price range differed relatively little in capability -- certainly in terms of the basics.

I ended up mostly deciding on usability/comfort. For me the D90 just felt well balanced, solid, and like a "real" camera. The grip was just right. I've not regretted the choice in 2 months of ownership, but then a colleague purchased a Canon 500D and has been equally happy

Back