Zhik International Moths - Flying Boats (Last Day)

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
My Second day on the water for this event. Today was much calmer with wind speeds around the 10 knot mark.

Even with this small amount of wind the boats where still hitting 17-20 knots. I dont understand how, they just do! :)

Enjoy.

Hi! by Stokes_Tog, on Flickr

High and Mighty by Stokes_Tog, on Flickr

Nice by Stokes_Tog, on Flickr

Gonna get you by Stokes_Tog, on Flickr

Time to talk by Stokes_Tog, on Flickr

6. - Yes that is 17.7 Knots boat speed in under 10 knots of wind! :)

Yes, that screen does read 17.7 knots boatspeed!!!! by Stokes_Tog, on Flickr

In my humble opinion some great shots and I have to say those boats are amazing! I have never seen that before and it just looks fantastic. Those boats are extraordinary.

thanks very much, there is something about dangling your camera gear off the side of the boat :)

Much much higher quality that the first set, really like them. Without getting too technical, the ability to go faster than the wind speed is due in part to the aerofoil shape of the sail as it is creating lift (although that lift is sideways) rather than just being pushed along by the wind. There is also apparent wind speed. If we assume the boat is going 90 degrees to the wind and say the wind is 10 knots, then the wind speed hitting the sail is 10 knots. Now when the boat gets to 5 knots, the wind now flowing over the sail is 11.18 knots (a little bit of trig needed) so there is more force to go faster. So this can build up. There is more to it that that but hopefully that gives the very basics.

I thought I was seeing things at first. I have never seen anything like that before amazing and really amazing pictures as well.

I thought I was seeing things at first. I have never seen anything like that before amazing and really amazing pictures as well.

the boats are amazing! they just buzz past you without a sound. And yes, they have to be seen to be believed. I was really lucky to photograph them and making some money through photo sales is a bonus!

:)

Much much higher quality that the first set, really like them. Without getting too technical, the ability to go faster than the wind speed is due in part to the aerofoil shape of the sail as it is creating lift (although that lift is sideways) rather than just being pushed along by the wind. There is also apparent wind speed. If we assume the boat is going 90 degrees to the wind and say the wind is 10 knots, then the wind speed hitting the sail is 10 knots. Now when the boat gets to 5 knots, the wind now flowing over the sail is 11.18 knots (a little bit of trig needed) so there is more force to go faster. So this can build up. There is more to it that that but hopefully that gives the very basics.

Thanks for the explanation Mark :) The scientific bit is beyond me, but it happens so im going with your explanation. :clap:

Back