Zoo trip

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm very new to photography but I have a thick skin ready for the critique. These shots were taken on a fuji bridge camera, in hand, at arms length to try and avoid cages.
I've just started playing with the manual settings so these were taken in full auto, on a horribly sunny day.
Is there any way I could have got more detail on the tiger? If so, how? The whole shot looks very pale to me.
DSCF0189.jpg

On this lion would it have been possible to brighten the face without losing the detail of the rock and fur?
DSCF0172.jpg

Edit: Just found this shot too
DSCF0170.jpg

Please be as harsh as you like (preferably in a constructive way)

Bob

Last edited:
First off you did very well to avoid the cages its not easy ;)
The only minor crit I would give is that #2 could do with a little more space at the top,
as you clipped the mane.
I am please to see that you didn't make the obvious mistake, of blowing the
whites in strong sunlight, this is so easy to do.
and is pretty much irreversible, but as you have under exposed a little, the detail is still there.
All in all a nice little set (y)

As for the images being "flat" that is down to processing.
There is plenty of detail there, it just needs dragging out a little.

A two minute edit using Adobe CS5, lift the shadows and highlights,
Brighten the whole image using "match colour" or brightness contrast,
and then sharpen using the USM tool.
Produces these.

I hope that helps.

DSCF0189_edit.jpg

DSCF0172_edit.jpg

Finally, and processed the same way, I would be inclined to go with a tighter crop, with 3.
but much of that is down to personal taste.:)

DSCF0170_edit.jpg

Wow, thank you, I really to need to try and get to grips with CS5 so many buttons/options on there (may need to get the idiots guide :LOL:)

On the tiger I wasn't sure where to focus to get the detail due to the poor old girl's had a tough life up to now and has actually lost her right eye.

Wow, thank you, I really to need to try and get to grips with CS5 so many buttons/options on there (may need to get the idiots guide :LOL:)

Indeed so many buttons, so little time :D
there are loads of tips and tricks on Youtube, for photo-shop.
But if you have CS5 then the shadow / highlights tool and the USM tool
are invaluable as a starting point (along with the crop tool of course) (y)
You can then play with the others as the mood takes you.

On the tiger I wasn't sure where to focus to get the detail due to the poor old girl's had a tough life up to now and has actually lost her right eye.
Poor old girl, :( I just assumed she was snoozing.
You seem to have the focus point about right anyway (y)
Just go for the point where the eye should be (which it appears you did)

Thanks again,
I think i'm going to be taking my laptop to work more often now to play with CS5 (y)

A very good first set Bob, I like the way you have portrayed all of them. Nothing much to add re crit as you have had some sound advise from Chris, good edits by him as well.

It's all down to practice Bob and you can learn a lot from the 'ol boys' like Chris.

Nice first set and the only criticism I've got is 'You might have brushed his hair Bob'...:LOL:

Cheers guys,
I asked him if he'd mind sorting his hair and turning to face the light a bit but he gave a look as if to say "you want me to move?, come ere and move me if you think ya ard enough!"

Back