zoom lenses for weddings

Edit My Images
No
so i was watching this wedding dvd the other and and the guy was saying he never uses any lenses above 50mm. he said it was preferable to always have fairly wide angle lenses so you could see the whole scene. His idea seemed to be to just move more if you need to get in close.

so for the more experienced wedding photographers on here, how do you feel about this as an idea for weddings?

so i was watching this wedding dvd the other and and the guy was saying he never uses any lenses above 50mm. he said it was preferable to always have fairly wide angle lenses so you could see the whole scene. His idea seemed to be to just move more if you need to get in close.

so for the more experienced wedding photographers on here, how do you feel about this as an idea for weddings?

whats good for on may not be good for all :) - I've been using my 70-200 less recently, not through a decision I've made but its just happened that way. Its still one of my workhorses lenses thoguh and not something I'd be without. For me 50 is too short, but I'm not everyone. I think there is soem sense in his arguement and getting the context of a scene is vital, but so are getting those close ups of the bride and the longer lens is certainly useful for those candid moments

Not sure I'm one of the more experienced wedding togs on here though :thinking::thinking:
Hugh

thats ok mate, every view is worth hearing. i kind of find it hard to accept that 50mm is enough, but thought others might agree with 50mm being enough.

I know someone who shoots weddings on an 85mm f1.2 and a fisheye. :)

I think it's a development of style. I like shooting variety so I use everything from 17mm to 200mm on a wedding. I will shoot wide for context and I still enjoy shooting candids with the 70-200mm

I wonder how he/she copes with longer shots during the ceremony? Elbowing the vicar out the way to get closer is just not sporting! :)

24-70 is the workhorse for the day, I won't go any wider as I don't like the distortion. 135mm is used for sneaky candids throughout the day and close-ups during the service.

I think longer zooms have the advantage of not being as "in your face" as shorter ones. You all know those people who freeze up completely if they even see a camera, or get into some weird pose. Always good to get some natural poses when they're not noticing you're shooting.

I think longer zooms have the advantage of not being as "in your face" as shorter ones. You all know those people who freeze up completely if they even see a camera, or get into some weird pose. Always good to get some natural poses when they're not noticing you're shooting.

this is true - but there are ways to make most peole relax in front of camera or not realise (forget) you're there. Similar to DD I wouldn't be without my 24-70 at a wedding.

Hugh

I'm almost always below 50mm myself. I find that people don't mind someone close with a camera. In my experience they're not that keen on someone sitting a way of with a long lens - it's like being spied on. So I get in amongst them.

As Capa said, if your photos aren't good enough, you're not not close enough;)

The 70-200 was invaluable to me as it was the only way to get in close during the ceremony and, as AliB says, shoving the vicar out of the way may be considered a tad rude. The 24-70 was also my workhorse for the day.

yeah that pretty much confirms what i thought then guys, i had my eyes on the 24-70 and 70-200. only thing to do now is decide on the D3 or 1ds :(

yeah that pretty much confirms what i thought then guys, i had my eyes on the 24-70 and 70-200. only thing to do now is decide on the D3 or 1ds :(

or a D700 or 5d - saving you a far bit for glass which is always good

Hugh :D

or a D700 or 5d - saving you a far bit for glass which is always good

Hugh :D

yep they are also perfectly good options, leaning towards nikon for the low light focussing at the moment. if i come into some money ill get both.....yeah.

I must throughout the day use all the lenses in my bag. As for

so for the more experienced wedding photographers on here, how do you feel about never useing any lenses above 50mm

i think that sounds daft

Have a look for Juli Cialone in New York.

I've shot with Juli and she has a very definate style. Shoots everything on a 5D with a 85mm f1.2 and a fisheye.

how do fisheyes work, can you make the picture straight or is it meant to look distorted always?

I very rarely use anything other than my 24-70mm f/2.8, and the 50mm prime. I may break out the 100-300mm for some candids at slack times, but only on the odd occasion...

Went to the Jeff Ascough & George Weir seminar in Manchester yesterday and they both tend to shoot with 24 50 & 85 primes

Went to the Jeff Ascough & George Weir seminar in Manchester yesterday and they both tend to shoot with 24 50 & 85 primes

the video i saw was of jeff ascough.

use what you need to in oredr to get the shot you want. if you want a distorted comical snap then use a fish eye, if you want a nats penis DOF then use an 85mm f1.2 wide open. I use a 24-70 cause thats all I have, I used to use a 17-55, 50 f1.4 and a 135 f2 when I had them.

Back