Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 HSM - Got one, and its ******

Name
Andy Drake
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks

I've not seen a decent review of the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 HSM, so I thought I'd buy one to try out.

To cut a long story short, optically it has no redeeming features whatsoever!

Here is the lens, side by side with my Tamron 28-75 (which blows it out of the water for wide open sharpness and vignetting control)

DSC_0679-web.jpg

There really isn't much else to say - wide open its a disaster, soft and hazy, with a vaseline-y type haze. Vignetting at 70mm is also really bad, I actually like vignetting up to point, but this is way OTT for a lens designed for full frame IMHO from the ground up. The zoom ring is also very stiff and not smooth at all.

I was going to set up loads of comparisions against the Tamron (and maybe some Nikkors), but frankly results are so depressing I can't be bothered!

-Andy

really I was looking at either the sigma (non HSM) or the tamron as my budget can't stretch much higher, how do you rate the tamron against other lenses in its class?

really I was looking at either the sigma (non HSM) or the tamron as my budget can't stretch much higher, how do you rate the tamron against other lenses in its class?

The Tamron 28-75 is superb, actually for price / performance its in a class of its own.

Oh..actually the Sigma does have a plus point - size! For an HSM lens, as you can see its about the same size as the Tamron and 4mm wider.

David, I have the non HSM Sigma 24-70 and love it. Not sure if Jessops in Exeter still have any in Canon fit but they were selling them off relatively cheap to be replaced by the HSM version.

I'll have a look next time im in town to see if they have any cheap, as cost is a factor with me being a smelly student and having prime lust

David, Mifsuds in Brixham (about 1/2 an hour away by car) have one of the Tamrons in 2nd hand (well, they do in their latest AP ad!). £249. Still listed on their website.

Ouch!

Even if it's just a bad copy, i doubt anything would touch the 28-75. Mine's razor sharp (following a 3 day turnaround trip to Head-Office for recalibration), and like you say, for the money its in a class of its own.

And here's me selling my D700 which i'll probably regret :(

Its even worse on my D300, its soft and hazy, you can see it at 13.6% ACR! :wacky::eek:

sigma24-70-wideopen-d300.jpg

Just as well I already have excellent glass, or I'd be peeved :LOL:

From the posted example it looks like spherical abberations - my Sigma 400/5.6 is similar; usually needs a fair boost in contrast during PP as well. Is usable for a £170 lens, though.

David, I have the non HSM Sigma 24-70 and love it. Not sure if Jessops in Exeter still have any in Canon fit but they were selling them off relatively cheap to be replaced by the HSM version.

Me to but the macro version and its spot on(y) Zoom collar is stiff but its what I call character:D Nice and sharp, as is my 105 macro.

Sorry puddleduck, don't feel sorry for you. You have a D700 and I don't:naughty:

We had a duff one of these as well, when I tested it against the Canon kit lens, the kit won by a country mile, we took it back and bought Canon. Wayne

From the posted example it looks like spherical abberations - my Sigma 400/5.6 is similar; usually needs a fair boost in contrast during PP as well. Is usable for a £170 lens, though.

Its not spherical aberration - the Sigma 50mm also has SA, and this is how the 50mm looks wide open.

sigma50mmm-wideopen-d300.jpg

We had a duff one of these as well, when I tested it against the Canon kit lens, the kit won by a country mile, we took it back and bought Canon. Wayne

Duff HSM?

Frankly, I think a coke bottle would trounce this one! :LOL:

David, Mifsuds in Brixham (about 1/2 an hour away by car) have one of the Tamrons in 2nd hand (well, they do in their latest AP ad!). £249. Still listed on their website.

i just looked - but I am car less :( and its a bit of a trip on foot :D though if i can scrounge a lift it would be nice to buy something that I have tested optically

If it's any help, Mifsuds do allow 10 days approval on used items for mail order customers...

Just curious, that's all ;)

Why buy something that gets reviews for being poor and then complain when yours is just as bad as the reviews said? :LOL:

WTF are you on about?

I bought the lens to try-out as I don't think its being reviewed anywhere, so I wanted to try it.

I don't think its had ANY reviews good or otherwise?

Feel feel post something useful if it should occur.

Erm... not sure why but something seems to have decided to duplicate my earlier post!

Just curious, that's all ;)

Why buy something that gets reviews for being poor and then complain when yours is just as bad as the reviews said? :LOL:

I think by 'decent' he mean detailed. He's not saying all the reviews say it is crap so he bought one anyway which is what you seem to think.

I think by 'decent' he mean detailed. He's not saying all the reviews say it is crap so he bought one anyway which is what you seem to think.

The only review I've seen is PopPhoto (who give everything a good review), and seeing as they said the D200 had "shockingly low noise" I think we'd be better off letting Stevie Wonder do their reviews :LOL:

Last Xmas I was in the market for a zoom and considered both the 24-70mm and the 28-70mm. The guy at Warehouse Express explained the 28-70mm was a lot sharper....but probably meant that there was a focus problem with the 24-70mm. I did go for the 28-70mm. IMHO I think you've got one of the many duds that appear to be about. Can you change it?

Paul

is there some kind of inherent issue with sigma's motor?

my non-hsm version is pin sharp no issues with focusing, and yet this hsm version seems to be pants. same goes for the 70-200mm variety. why can't sigma get their acts together. it's not that they can;t make HSM lenses, they got plenty in their stock that makes nikon/canon lens to shame, and yet being competitive in pricing.

andy, you reckon the optics are flawed or the lens has focusing issues?

this is the first poor HSM lens I've seen. all the others have been significantly sharper than the non HSM version

is there some kind of inherent issue with sigma's motor?

my non-hsm version is pin sharp no issues with focusing, and yet this hsm version seems to be pants. same goes for the 70-200mm variety. why can't sigma get their acts together. it's not that they can;t make HSM lenses, they got plenty in their stock that makes nikon/canon lens to shame, and yet being competitive in pricing.

andy, you reckon the optics are flawed or the lens has focusing issues?

Back