£1 coin

Edit My Images
No
I took this a while ago but have just been having a play with DPP

4241443868_4ce2fa2e47_o.jpg

I used my 50mm 1.8 with some cheap extender tubes and used the dof button trick to change the aperture.

Fantastic capture And Great deatil Very Well Done

Kirk

Nice - what is the shadow on the surface though? - little bit distracting - Looks like you need to Mr Sheen the table:LOL:

Great result with tubes on a standard lens:clap:

What do you mean by: used the dof button trick to change the aperture.

What do you mean by: used the dof button trick to change the aperture.

You set the aperture in camera to f/16, for example, then press the dof preview button on your camera and whilst holding it down turn the camera off. This sets the aperture on the lens.

Why do this? Because AF lenses and cameras are always wide open until the shutter is depressed so you can see a nice clear screen.

You set the aperture in camera to f/16, for example, then press the dof preview button on your camera and whilst holding it down turn the camera off. This sets the aperture on the lens.

Why do this? Because AF lenses and cameras are always wide open until the shutter is depressed so you can see a nice clear screen.

so what your saying is that when you turn the camera back on and look through the viewfinder its at f16

because if cheap tubes are used, they will not have an electronic contact with the lens, and so when the photo is actually taken, the lens never receives the command to stop down..... and the depth of field of a f/1.8 lens at that range is unusably small.

cheap tubes are £10-15, but ones with contacts are around £90 so this extra fiddling has probably saved the OP a decent whack.

P.s, great shot, focus is in just the right place and it doesn't look funny like a lot of close up coins do (in terms of annoying scratches)

Last edited:
You don't turn the camera off while holding dof preview: you physically remove the lens while holding the button down. At least, that's how it's done on my 30D.

Back