£130 Vs £700 lens

Edit My Images
No
I would like to get a new zoom lens for my 300D something around the 70-200/300 range.
Now I've searched all the sites and reviews I can but just wondered if there is much quality difference between the top range f2.8 compared to the f4 lenses which seem to be much much cheaper!

I'm stuck in my choice now as I dont want to throw money at a cheap lens and then find I'm not happy with the quality!

I also want to use a 1.4x / 2x convertor to extend the lens.

Had the same dilemma. Well it was not really a dilemma I just could not justify spending £700 on a lens, not at my level any way.

I was shown the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO Macro Super II, which you can pick up on the net for £139 at the moment. Much more affordable. I figured as a DSLR novice that would probably be the way to go. Read a few reviews on the lens, which were all reasonable.

Ordered the lens from the London camera shop London Camera on the phone and it arrived special delivery next day. Took it out at the weekend for a play and got shots like this.........

swanhead.jpg

That alone tells me it was money well spent. And when I learn to use it properly things can only get better.

Hi Jase. :)

See this thread for some info on teleconverters.

The f/2.8 lenses are much dearer because there is a lot more expensive glass in them. After all, the max aperture on a 300mm f/2.8 is, er, 300/2.8 = 107mm, which is pretty big, so the elements have to be sized accordingly. The f/4 lenses are not necessarily any worse in terms of sharpness etc, although in practice they tend to be inferior simply because they're aimed rather lower in the market. However, for example, the Canon 300mm f/4L is very close in performance to the 300mm f/2.8L - just a stop slower and a third of the price.

If you'd like image stabilisation, the Canon 75-300IS is a decent lens. Otherwise the Sigma 70-300 APO is cheaper and has better macro. Go for the APO, not the DL which is optically nowhere near as good. Also look at the Tamron Di lenses which I'm not up to speed on, but they're getting good reviews.

Hope that helps. :)

if you want to get the Nikon 70-300 ( cheaper version ) buy from the net, try and find a decent used one from someone who is willing to write back about its condition
i just ppicked up a mint one from ebay for £57........even cheaper and more affordable than the new price of £130,

but beware, its your choice what you buy and your responsability, but please dont let that put you off getting a bargain,
i think there are at least 3 up on ebay at the moment , and one is Buy It Now for £47 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just search for ' Nikon 300 '

MyPix

I have not used the Sigma lens but from all I have read it is worth considering if looking for a budget lens that offers quality beyond what you would expect for its price. If you get chance, my advice would be to find a dealer that has that and the following lenses in stock so that you can get a feel for how they perform. Quality is important but if the kit doesn’t feel right when you are using it, it will get neglected and not used.
The usual Canon suspects to look at are the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 USM and EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM which are basically the same lens but with image stabilisation. These are talked about just about everywhere and the IS is very popular. Both these lenses suffer a little softness once you get over the 200mm mark but with a little post processing will give very good results. The extra cost of IS is one to consider carefully, although it has its uses justifying the extra price can be a little hard to swallow for some.
If you have a little more money to spend then you could do far worse than look at the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM. This is classed as the budget end of Canon’s “L” range of lenses but quality wise is fantastic, both in terms of focus speed, build and image sharpness/detail. It is also one of the smallest and lightest zooms. This lens again is available in two versions and the IS version is quite a lot larger physically and much more expensive. The non IS version can be had for a little over £420 at 7day shop (the cheapest place I know of currently) They also stock the other lenses that I have mentioned above so you will be able to check out prices to get a comparison.

I have to say I do like the look of the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM [smilie=w:

That combined with a 1.4 converter (at a later date) would probably cover any eventuality I need. I dont think I could stomach the extra for the IS yet and will leave that till the kids have stopped costing me a fortune (20 years or so!)

Suppose I better start getting in the overtime then to pay for this :(

I've just ordered the very same :)

I've never used IS so can't really comment, but if you're using the lens for fast action i don't see how it can really help as the subject will have moved anyway if you can't use a fast enough shutter speed.

Just use a tripod :wink:

The Edge said:
I've never used IS so can't really comment, but if you're using the lens for fast action i don't see how it can really help as the subject will have moved anyway if you can't use a fast enough shutter speed.

Just use a tripod :wink:
You're right of course, but lazy people like me don't carry a tripod everywhere. :wink: I have three IS lenses - 28-135, 75-300 and 300L, and I find that the IS helps to overcome camera shake even when photographing moving subjects, and it's especially good when panning hand-held.

Example taken with the 75-300 lens...

geese3.jpg

EDIT/ Whoops! Changed webserver so now changed photo link too. :eek:ops:

silkstone said:
I have three IS lenses - 28-135, 75-300 and 300L,

You should drink less coffee :p

wow that red X is so sharp!

EosD said:
wow that red X is so sharp!

Its working fine for me??

BTW I have just posted two new pictures in the members gallery that where shot using a Canon 20D, 70-200 F4 L USM and Kenko 1.4x Pro teleconvertor. They will give you a reasonable comparison of the quality available from that lens combination.

They can be seen here and here

Steve said:
The non IS version can be had for a little over £420 at 7day shop (the cheapest place I know of currently) They also stock the other lenses that I have mentioned above so you will be able to check out prices to get a comparison.

It's down to less than £399 plus delivery, must resist :shock:

dod said:
It's down to less than £399 plus delivery, must resist :shock:

Special delivery will ensure it arrives next day and the guarantee on Canon lenses is international so that should remove any worries there :LOL:

Do you hate me yet? :twisted:

Back