Critique 10 stop and learning

RKC

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
determined to do more landsacpe photography this year and decided to get a cheap 10stop filter to try out
Be as harsh as you like as I do want to learn

Watertown-0889 by rkcphotos, on Flickr

Well it's a damn good start. It does look as if the 10 stop filter has given a slight red/orange tint, but that may have been what it actually looked like so correct me if i'm wrong. I would also try and shoot the slipway from head on with a nice low point of view.

OK here goes. I think technique-wise you're looking good. The shot is a bit dark for my taste but I'm guessing you wanted it that way. Compositionally, I'm not feeling a lot of love for the jetty/slipway as it looks a bit messy and confusing - I wonder if there's a way to simplify the shape by repositioning, and creating a more serene composition that matches the mood of the still-looking water.

Well it's a damn good start. It does look as if the 10 stop filter has given a slight red/orange tint, but that may have been what it actually looked like so correct me if i'm wrong. I would also try and shoot the slipway from head on with a nice low point of view.

Thank you Tim feedback is very much appreciated, composition wise I do think it is something I need to think about more, re colour cast the filter does produce a magenta cast, I also had WB set to cloudy, I have created a preset to remove magenta cast but had not used it on this one, so I used it on this one any better?

WB adjusted
Watertown Magenta-0889 by rkcphotos, on Flickr

OK here goes. I think technique-wise you're looking good. The shot is a bit dark for my taste but I'm guessing you wanted it that way. Compositionally, I'm not feeling a lot of love for the jetty/slipway as it looks a bit messy and confusing - I wonder if there's a way to simplify the shape by repositioning, and creating a more serene composition that matches the mood of the still-looking water.

Andy than you for feedback, jetty composition I was not sure about but will be going back, probably several times :) darkness yes I quite liked it however I need to experiment more because at the moment honestly I am setting everything to give max exposure time to smooth the water when realistically I could alter these settings and probably get the same effect

Last edited:
Thank you Tim feedback is very much appreciated, composition wise I do think it is something I need to think about more, re colour cast the filter does produce a magenta cast, I also had WB set to cloudy, I have created a preset to remove magenta cast but had not used it on this one, so I used it on this one any better?

WB adjusted
Watertown Magenta-0889 by rkcphotos, on Flickr
That looks slightly better to me.

Reactions: RKC
Yum!

Very nice indeed. Clean simple image.
Unusually for me I prefer the more vibrant colours in the first. :)

Love LE's too. Want to do more of them.
Bit of extra shadow perhaps....but im on my 'lunch break' viewing on a Lenovo notebook...so its possibly this.

you feeling hungry Andy :jaffa:;).....thank you

Very nice indeed. Clean simple image.
Unusually for me I prefer the more vibrant colours in the first. :)

Thank you Ruth for commenting

Love LE's too. Want to do more of them.
Bit of extra shadow perhaps....but im on my 'lunch break' viewing on a Lenovo notebook...so its possibly this.

Thank you Neil, do you mean shadows on the old slipway? they are a bit lighter than I intended when I viewed it on a laptop compared to my pc

That looks fantastic, what brand of filter are you using?

Thank you Simon.....I went to SRB to purchase a Camidox as they came highly recommended from a thread on TP, however they no longer sold them so opted for their own brand, the only issue is there is a Magenta cast produced which the Camidox did not, so far not finding too much issue removing it

http://srb-photographic.co.uk/

here is the thread on here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/excellent-cheap-10-stop.520613/

Last edited:
Back