10 stop shots, show us what ya got!

some amazing photos in this thread!

i'm looking to get a neutral density filter... that's a 10 stop right?

I'm confused about the ratings they are given though, ND3, ND8 etc. Whats the best one to go for? Im looking at the cheapish ones on ebay by the way

cheers

ND 2 - 1 stop
ND 4 - 2 stops
ND 8 - 3 stops

To get a very long exposure in daylight, as the pics in this thread you will need a very dense ND filter...

ND 1024 or ND110 or Big Stopper (and others) all reduce the light entering the camera by 10 stops of light.

The cheaper the filter, the harder the colour cast is to remove.

:)

My first real go with my 10 stop, taken near Portpatrick, Dumfries and Galloway.

rocktint850_zpsd330d885.jpg

Excellent pics :D

Does anyone have an experience of the new Hitech 85mm 10 stop ? I've used mine this morning and it looks more like 10.5 or 11 stops.. ( mega blue cast too but I need to sort out a custom WB for that )

First image I have had time to process from Saturday's Sunset wome nice Pastel colours in there but whis I could remove a bit more of the blue from the sea

8015150279_8e49374e5b_h.jpg

second image
8015953396_2b976976c5_b.jpg

After seeing some of the great photos on this thread, I had a go with a 10-stop filter on holiday. My photos seem to lack the clarity of many on here. Maybe I need to take more care not to knock the focus ring as I apply the filter?
I also noticed just how cold it gets while waiting on a beach at sunset for these longer exposures! :)
DSC02754-002.jpg

DSC03012.tif.jpg

Some cracking shots people, will have to have a go! I've got a cokin gradient filter knocking about somewhere.

This was almost 2 and a half minutes on a very, very grey morning..taken at 7.15am ( was hoping for a sunrise but there wasn't one ).

Seems quite grainy though...Maybe it's just me ?

plymouth harbour by damianmkv, on Flickr

Am learning about this all the time. My conclusion is that most of the subjects need to be solid - ie building or rocks - things unaffected by the wind. Then there needs to be something which demonstrates movement ie water or cloud or both..

I'll get there in the end

I rarely use mine, but when I do I always wish I spent more time using it.

Gimblet Rock 020.jpg

Gimblet%20Rock%20005.jpg

Gimblet%20Rock%20001.jpg

Paris 2012 007.jpg

Very nice Paul, was any post processing done on these images? If so, what were thy?

Thanks :) I shot in raw so they had to go through some PP. The first one had loads, probably way to much, and I’m struggling to recall what I actually did!:thinking: The second pic was a lot easier. W/B tweak, darken the sky a touch, levels adjustment, saturation boost, clone dust spots, straighten and slight crop. Resize for web and sharpen with USM. :)

Some great shots being posted here!

This is my first attempt:

Last edited:
Put a bit of dark glass infront of the lens that takes away almost all of the light. Then work out how long the camera needs to properly expose the shot. With regards to PP, it depends on the filter - some are fairly neutral, some have a blue cast ( there's a comparison in my Flickr if you want to see Hitech's colour cast - click on my sig below to show you )

coupe by damianmkv, on Flickr

The Falls are given their name after the Overhall Mill which operated next to the Falls was burnt down in 1801. The story goes that the miller's daughter fell in love with a local lad whom the miller deemed unsuitable for his daughter. In revenge the lad climbed up the mill to the thatched roof and placed his spectacles on it, so when the sun caught them the mill went up in flames.

Spectacle---E by Geordie1970, on Flickr

Back