10 stop shots, show us what ya got!

Dare I offer an alternative method for those of you that do not have a 10 stopper but want the effect. Meter the scene, reduce the exposure by 10 stops ie. increase your shutter speed. Take 10 shots then merge in Photoshop using layer blending.

Took this picture hand held as I only had my camera with me and no ND filter or the usual paraphernalia but still wanted the shot. In this case it was a blend of 13 images.

Tranquility.jpg by _Herby_, on Flickr

484929_10151981066400616_2030250081_n.jpg

There's some great work in this thread. Here's my contribution, not really up to the standard of everyone else, but I'm enjoying learning how to use the Haida 10 stop.

Norway by Chris S B, on Flickr

I'm not sure why, but it looks a little soft here, compared to viewing it on Flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/foxbat_flyer/8147707403/

Any comments or suggestions for improvements would be appreciated, although it's not gouing to be easy to go back and try again as it was taken heading north towards Svalbard at about 14 knots!

Chris

I really like that - nice to see a different subject matter

There's some great work in this thread. Here's my contribution, not really up to the standard of everyone else, but I'm enjoying learning how to use the Haida 10 stop.

Norway by Chris S B, on Flickr

I'm not sure why, but it looks a little soft here, compared to viewing it on Flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/foxbat_flyer/8147707403/

Any comments or suggestions for improvements would be appreciated, although it's not gouing to be easy to go back and try again as it was taken heading north towards Svalbard at about 14 knots!

Chris

Chris,

I like it....one of the most interesting (and original) slow exposure images I've seen recently.

Could any softness be due to vibration from the ship engines?

Would it be possible to correct the vertcals, or were they actually that angle?

Thanks for the feedback Jerry & Damian.

I think you could be right about vibration and movement being responsible for the softness Jerry. Before you mentioned it the vertical distortion had passed me by, I'll see what LR can do to correct it.

Chris

3 Minutes at Ashness Jetty

IMG_9094b-L.jpg

Danny, I really like this, the wheels really add something to the photo for me.

some fantastic work done here, so inspiring - i've just got my b & w 110 today so i need to get working on technique for my scotland/assynt trip in july/aug...

Perhaps something a little different. HDBs flats (Housng development board) in Singapore, this is one of the ubiquitous sights you will see when you are Singapore.

HDB, Singapore. Pentax K01+Sigma 10-20. Haida ND 10 stops Slim pro2.

Chinese Garden, Singapore. E-PL5+Panasonic 7-14mm. Haida 10 stops Slim pro2.

forgot about this section here 2 from the last few weeks
92 second bigg stopper plus other grads

8614403268_27a8e980bf_b.jpg

75seonds Charlies Garden

8585579247_5bc313cbc4_b.jpg

Good shot, John.

Shame about the colour :)

Started again and it's from the big stopper I had used auto white balance and the raw file is a tad blue

Last edited:
Back