10 stop shots, show us what ya got!

Belting sky. Rarely do I seem to be in the right place to get the clouds coming towards me.

Cheers.
The wind was going away from me :)

I had gone to get the Abbey at sunset but found out that it would close before then and I would have to leave. Cost me a silly amount of money for just over an hour in the grounds.

It was a quick, flustered photo shoot with me cursing under my breath for most of it :)

Quite like this...can't help wondering what it would have looked like from further down and closer to the sea??

Gets a bit wet and slippery lower down. Needs to be a calm sea to get down there at high tide so there is enough water to come up to the steps, only really viable during the summer.

Water like melted plastic? No thanks. I'm trying to be helpful ...!

The Holy Island of Lindisfarne

Travelled further up north to The Holy Island of Lindisfarne in Northumberland. Where the Lindisfarne Castle is sited atop the volcanic mound. The most distinct and picturesque feature of the Island and can be seen for many miles around.
I also tested the new and improved 10 stop ND filter from ProgreyUSA which claims minimal to no colour shift.
Shot with Nikon D810 + Nikkor 16-35 f4 with Progrey 10 Stop ND + 3 Stop ND
ISO 64 | f22 | 309 secs​

Evening all

Already having a tripod, I recently ordered and have received my 10 stopper and assumed I was ready to go!

It looks like I may be mistaken and also require a remote shutter also? (I can use my phone to take a photo remotely but not hold the shutter open if that makes sense?).

If I do indeed need a remote, what are you guys using and what's the cheapest option out there?

I was awaiting a free MC-DC2 but it's gone a bit quiet on that front.

Many thanks for your help :)

Ian

You don't need a remote - you can use the timer to delay 2s or 10s, anything to omit shake from your shot.

You will only need a remote if you are exposing for more than 30 seconds in bulb mode.
If you do get one anyway then the cheapy ones for between 5 and 10 quid are more than adequate for the job in hand.

You don't need a remote - you can use the timer to delay 2s or 10s, anything to omit shake from your shot.
I can take a shot at a preset shutter speed no problem, it's when it needs to be over 30s I'd have a problem.
You will only need a remote if you are exposing for more than 30 seconds in bulb mode.
If you do get one anyway then the cheapy ones for between 5 and 10 quid are more than adequate for the job in hand.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. I have an app on my phone that mentions bulb mode so it may be possible via that...I just can't work it out! [emoji23]

Wow, number 1 and 4 in the first set from OP are astonishing, gives a real sense of serenity, colours are great too.

I'm not sure about getting a cheapy one, my remote cable broke in Iceland and it was a proper Canon one. I need to get another but I'll have a look around this time at some reviews.

A couple of long exposure of the Whitburn Arch, which is located between Souter point and whitburn, South Tyneside.
A most beautiful walk were you can walk from a Flat Sandy Beach (South Shields Groyne ) to high cliff's along Marsden Bay and back down to flat sandy Beaches at Seaburn
IMG_7008 whitburn.jpg IMG_7011Arch.jpg

39b8494129bd00c17f89118fbfa63567.jpg

Guys

I'm intending to use this exposure calculator in conjunction with my new 10 stop filter to guide me on my settings once the filter is attached. Can anyone explain what those selections at the very top represent?

Cheers

Ian

Guys

I'm intending to use this exposure calculator in conjunction with my new 10 stop filter to guide me on my settings once the filter is attached. Can anyone explain what those selections at the very top represent?

Cheers

Ian
It changes the setting increments according to what is selected i.e. if one stop is selected you get f2.8, 4, 5.6. If you select 1/3 stop it's F2.8, 3.2, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5.0, 5.6. By default most cameras use 1/3 settings.

It changes the setting increments according to what is selected i.e. if one stop is selected you get f2.8, 4, 5.6. If you select 1/3 stop it's F2.8, 3.2, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5.0, 5.6. By default most cameras use 1/3 settings.
I see! So it's to avoid the app suggesting an aperture that my camera is unable to replicate?

I see! So it's to avoid the app suggesting an aperture that my camera is unable to replicate?
Yeah just keeps how you operate your camera in sync with the app. Some people might only use 1 stop increments on their camera so no point in showing the 1/3 stop settings :)

this from a few years back.
Just processed it last night 260 seconds f22 iso 50.
It a capture of the old pilot jetty that they used as a base for the River Tyne pilot and Tug's and as you can see they moved a few years previous to this picture
may pop down as it be a lot worse now

the groyne and jetty.jpg

Back