100 Strangers [Round 3] **Complete** 5th April 2018..

I was standing watching the world go by near Brick Lane when I noticed Janne wandering by. Happily she agreed to be part of my project and we walked a short distance to this lovely old street nearby.

Janne (pronounced Yana) told me she was hoping to go to the London Coffee Festival in the Old Truman Building opposite but didn't have a ticket, thinking it would be possible to pay at the door, sadly not.

Janne is a Californian but living, working and studying a Masters in International Film Business. Her studies are based at the University of Exeter but taught in partnership with the London Film School.

"I would love to be able to stay in London when I complete my MA but once my student visa comes to an end, its difficult to remain in the UK. If not London, then I'd like to work in New York."

"Lots of things make me happy, I enjoy storytelling. Particularly from films and books!"

Thank you Janne for being part of my project and good luck with your studies.

Janne - [Stranger #220]
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Oooooo, look at them blue eyes :)

The first word that came to mind was Relaxed.

Lovely, soft lighting there Iain.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy (y)

That probably describes my thoughts about Janne in our brief meeting.
She was having a wander around Brick Lane and just came across as a very chilled out kinda person.

I've posted the below on Facebook and am posting it here for continuity of my project from today.

Sometimes I visit a place with my 100 Strangers project and get the feeling its going to be "a tough nut to crack". Southend-on-Sea felt like just such a place today. Its difficult to put into words, I just get a sense of the difficulties (perceived or otherwise) in making a portrait for my project.

What also struck me today was that it was a place with quite a large population of homeless people. I'm not judging anyone here, just an observation. In fact I spent sometime chatting to one such person, I bought him a coffee and heard his story. Quite humbling in fact in that it can just take a little turn of bad luck which has serious implications.

I'm not into taking photographs of homeless people, personal feeling is that can be construed as exploitative. This is simply my thinking out loud and as something of a prelude to the actual portrait I did make for my project.
Perhaps the image below sums up the 'mood' of today.

DSC_3449.jpg

Sometimes I visit a place with my 100 Strangers project and get the feeling its going to be "a tough nut to crack". Southend-on-Sea felt like just such a place. Its difficult to put into words, I just get a sense of the difficulties (perceived or otherwise) in making a portrait for my project.

I found a background I wished to use and then waited for an interesting stranger to come along. This is where the sense of difficulty began. Perhaps I'm reading too much into people but so many walked past me that I thought "they're bound to say no, they just won't get the project."

I had actually decided to admit defeat and was walking back to my car when I noticed Jenny walking along towards me. I headed back towards my chosen background where I asked Jenny to be part of my project.

Jenny is from Lincolnshire but has lived in Southend-On-Sea for around a year where she is studying dance.

"I'm not up to anything in particular today, just having a wander around town."

"I'm hoping my dancing will take me into music videos but hopefully it'll take me further. To the West End (London) and dancing in a musical production!"

I thought our encounter would be over before I'd even taken one frame to make Jenny's portrait. Whilst I was setting up my lighting equipment, this drew the attention of a local homeless man. Clearly the worse for wear with alcohol, he asked Jenny if she was famous. I thought this unwanted attention may put Jenny off but obviously not. Perhaps this was something of a premonition on the guys behalf. Hopefully one day you will be famous? Good luck for your future and thanks for being part of my project.

Jenny - [Stranger 221]
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Today saw me take my 100 strangers project to another seaside town. This time it was Brighton and the feeling for shooting my project was completely different to that of earlier in the week in Southend. It was a very successful day portrait-wise and results are posted below.
Comments and critique welcome as always.

Jo's colourful hair made her stand out from the crowd near to Brighton Pier. I had to ask to make Jo's portrait and once I'd caught up with her Jo was opening a small shop which was on Brighton beach front.

Jo is originally from Wolverhampton but has been living and working in Brighton for 20 years.

"This isn't my shop, it belongs to a friend and I am a little behind setting it up today"

I asked Jo what advice she would give to her younger self?

"Be more adventurous and take more chances."

What can she see herself doing in 10 years time?

"Probably still here, if my arthritis hasn't kicked in and I can't set up the shop!"

Thanks for being part of my project Jo, I hope I didn't take up too much of your time.

Jo - [Stranger #222]
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I found a colourful background in Brighton's The Lanes area and hoped to meet a colourful stranger to compliment it.

Becky has such a colourful persona and friendly face, I had to ask.

Becky lives in West Worthing but works in Brighton.

"You will have to be quick, I am supposed to be back at work." Becky told me when I asked to make her portrait.

What advice would she give her younger self?

"Stop worrying about things you can't change!"

Thanks Becky.

Becky - [Stranger 224]
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Really like these captures from Brighton Iain, Brighton is such a good place for people shots and I think you have done a great job too, my pic would be for Christian :) Very nice in and around the Lanes too.

Thanks David,
Brighton is very good for my kind of project, I had a great day yesterday, it didn't disappoint.

Coming to the end of 2 weeks off work, I wanted to make the most of my last few days and keep the momentum going on my 100 strangers project. Today I visited Cambridge again.

I noticed Katie, particularly her shock of fantastic red hair. She was walking along at quite a pace and I was reluctant at first to ask her to be part of my project as I don't like to disturb people if they are busy or in a hurry to get somewhere. I'm glad that I did ask as I found out that Katie was on her day off from being a graphic designer.

Katie is from nearby St. Ives but was out in Cambridge for the day. We moved to this nearby alleyway whilst I set up my lightstand and softbox Katie told me she too was interested in photography and used it in her day to day work. The pressure was on for me as making another photographers portrait can be a little daunting.

I asked Katie what advice she would give her younger self?

"I love looking after people, my loved ones but I would say don't be afraid to put yourself first now and again. Look after yourself too.

I tired myself out and have had a few health problems over the past year as a result. I am better now and have recovered. In fact, had you asked me a few months ago to make my portrait, I would have said no thanks but now, you have given me a real boost and its brightened my day having had my photograph taken!"

Obviously Katie and I's meeting today was a brief encounter only for a few minutes but I got a sense of a strong character and attitude (in a good way) from Katie. I think this shows in her portrait too.

Thank you Katie!

Katie - [Stranger 225]
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Never had the confidence to attempt portraits of strangers in the street. Some excellent portraits in here, well done on your work

Never had the confidence to attempt portraits of strangers in the street. Some excellent portraits in here, well done on your work

Thanks Peter (y)
People will surprise you, they are generally friendly and open to having their portrait made.

I noticed Rachel walking along Wardour Street, London near to a location I have used previously for portraits. I thought Rachel had a friendly face and didn't appear to be in too much of a rush. happily she agreed saying that she was in London for lunch with friends but was early so had time to kill.

Rachel is from Brighton but was in London today for her lunch date.

"It won't be a late one, I have to be back for my son so I won't be having too much alcohol..."

I asked if Rachel had any advice for her younger self?

"Care less about what others think of you!"

Thank you Rachel.

Rachel - [Stranger #226]
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I was heading over towards Covent Garden when I noticed Jane, particularly her sense of style walking along and asked to make her portrait. After a brief explanation of the project, Jane was amenable to walking across the road so as I could use this dark background.

I got that Jane lived and worked in London but initially not much else as we spoke more about my 100 strangers project. Jane has a fine arts background and was a creative person.

"I'm just having a day out to meet friends later on."

Jane said she would look me up on Flickr and offered some words of advice for my project.

"Shoot more men, seek out interesting and quirky men to help the aesthetic of your project."

Following our encounter, I had further communication with Jane where I asked her a few questions to balance things out with her portrait.

"Great friends, a good book and laughing so much i can barely catch my breath make me happy."

Advice to your younger self?

"You can achieve anything you want to!"

A motto or ethos to live your life by?

"Embrace imperfection!"

Thank you Jane!

Jane - [Stranger #227]
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Moving on to Covent Garden shortly after making Jane's portrait I still had her advice ringing in my ears about shooting more men for my project for that aesthetic balance, I couldn't help but notice the very stylish Andy standing outside the Apple store in Covent Garden. Andy was enjoying some free wifi from the Apple store.

Andy is from Hong Kong but visiting London on a stopover as he is a flight attendant and his flight was back in a few days.

I asked Andy where he would like to be in 10 years time?

"I have been a flight attendant for 10 years and I wish to be back in my home country with family and friends, I miss the food too!"

I made only a few portraits of Andy before our encounter was cut short by one of the Apple store employees who informed us that we couldn't take photographs near the store as it was private property. This was all very amicable and I understood where they were coming from. Andy asked if I wished to move the few feet away from the store but I felt we'd made some good portraits already.

Thanks Andy!

Andy - [Stranger #228]
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

He's very well dressed!

Interesting surroundings too, makes a nice change to your usual shots. (Not that they're not interesting :LOL: )

Cheers David (y)
Andy was standing beside the Apple store when i saw him.
I had a quick look around for a suitable (for that read my usual) background but there was nothing around.
I had to go with where he was standing, I think it makes a change from my usual style as you say. Its grown on me :D

It's a winner mate. His stare really suits the environment.

Thanks matey!
He was just so laid back, through a few poses before we got moved on by someone from the Apple store haha.

A really enjoyable read and viewing as always Iain, variety is always good to see :)

Thanks Dean.
It's difficult and I find it a struggle at times to find that variety for the project.......but then that's the challenge, eh?

A rare day off during the week saw me visit Cambridge today to see if I could kickstart my 100 Strangers project as it has hit something of a stall of late.
Cambridge didn't disappoint, results are posted below.
I have been having a few thoughts on my project and decided that now its reached #30, a nice round number I am going to steer away from OCF for a while and concentrate on making portraits with whichever light is suitable.
I found myself a little restricted with OCF and found myself using it for the sake of it, rather than it being necessary.

It was Jennifer's striking red hair which caught my attention whilst she was walking along a sunny Cambridge street today. Her friendly face and demeanour also suggested Jennifer would be approachable to ask if she would be part of my project.

Originally from St. Ives, Jennifer now lives and works in Cambridge and was on her lunch break when we met.

"My friends, family and cat make me happy!"

I asked Jennifer how her friends would describe her?

"My best friend would describe me as a giddy kipper!"

I took that to mean a happy, bubbly personality...

Thank you Jennifer!

Jennifer - [Stranger #229]
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Tanisha is studying in Cambridge but is originally from Salisbury near to Stonehenge but has been living in Cambridge for quite a while.

Takisha told me that she is aiming to be a Professor in Sociology and teaches undergraduates at the moment.

"I enjoy life in Cambridge, I enjoy my work which involves interviewing people for my research. My research specifically looks at people with 2 specific medical conditions. I've just came back from 4 months research spent in Washington DC."

I asked Tanisha if she has a motto or ethos in life.

"I treat myself every day, maybe just a small thing like a coffee or tea from a stall on the market. Today, I bought myself some shoes!"

Thank you Tanisha.

Tanisha - [Stranger #230]
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Really like Jenny & Andy. Andy is actually a sort-of departure from your similarly-symmetrical backgrounds and it moves the image from more of a posed portrait to a street style (if that makes sense) that appeals to me more because of its 'storytelling' nature.

I find the exposure on Jane to be a bit harsh for my tastes. Not sure whether it's the dark background/bright face contrast, but it's my least favourite on the page.

Also really like Tanisha. Maybe with her chin a touch up to separate her upper eyelids from the spec rims. Do you direct your subjects (as in head up, shoulders back, turn a bit, lean on the wall) or just chat and snap?

suggested Jennifer would be approachable to ask if she would be part of my project.
...and walk down an alley with you... :) That made me smile when I saw the background. Giddy kipper. Awesome.

I also think the photo of the graffiti(?) is an interesting choice that first seems like a departure, but when you read the context, is actually an interesting observation that makes its inclusion in the project important somehow. Someone looking at a finished project might dismiss it as "some people in the street" but when they see that it causes them to pause and think. It did me :)

@Harlequin565
Thanks Ian.
Re Andy's portrait, it was a spur of the moment. I saw him standing there and decided to go ahead and make his portrait where he stood. Hence why it wasn't a vanishing point background. I understand what you're saying about Jane's portrait, it is very much on the verge of blowing the highlights, not quite but very close.

With regards to Tanisha's portrait, the answer is yes I do direct most strangers, more so with glasses as it takes a little work to avoid reflections. How I normally shoot people with glasses is how I shot Tanisha's portrait. That is I ask the person to push their specs as far up the bridge of their nose as they can go and then ask them to tilt their head forward. It's a bit of a compromise I find. Just showing enough of the eyes to avoid reflections.

It's not the first time it's been mentioned to me about walking down an alley with a complete stranger haha.
In all seriousness though, I am aware of this and generally, with safety in mind walk down first, that way the person doesn't feel trapped and can choose to follow or not. The alley I used for Jennifer's portrait was not a through route but it was just a couple of steps off a busy main road.

The graffiti shot was more my thinking out loud, it certainly struck a chord that day.

I have had a full day out in London today and never made any portraits, I'm beginning to have my doubts about whether or not I will finish this 100. It's become such hard work recently, I feel my enthusiasm waning. I think I wI'll take a break from photography for a couple of weeks.

I noticed Martine working within a hair salon whilst I walked past near Liverpool Street Station. Just beyond the salon, I found a background that I wished to use and decided to chance it and ask Martine if i could make her portrait as the salon didn't appear too busy.

Martine lives in Kent but works in London for Toni & Guy Hairdressers.

"If I'd known I was having my portrait taken I would've done my hair!"

I asked Martine what makes her happy?

"Good food and my dog make me happy."

"I left school at 16 and trained as a florist but was offered a temporary job with Toni & Guy and have been there for 21 years." Martine told me with a smile.

What advice would you give to your younger self?

"I would tell my younger self not to worry about things......my appearance, what I ate, what others thought of me...."

Thanks Martine

Martine - [Stranger 231]
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Just along from where I made Martine's portrait [Stranger 231] were these stairs which i thought would make a good background as a departure from my usual choice.

At that moment, Jordan and Jess came walking along and i thought Jordan would make the perfect stranger against this background with his cool styling.

Jordan and his girlfriend Jess were up visiting London from Buckinghamshire for a shopping trip. Jess had just came from her exhibition in Brick Lane for her fashion design. Jordan was then treating Jess on a shopping trip to Selfridges.

What makes you happy?

"Jess does!" said Jordan with a smile and a wink.

"Cute!" said Jess.

Thank you Jordan and Jess for holding the reflector.

Jordan - [Stranger 232]
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I noticed Meg, her friendly face and striking red hair walking along near to the Barbican and couldn't resist asking to make her portrait. As it was a spur of the moment decision to ask, I had to quickly find a background for her portrait. I thought this nearby doorway complimented Meg's hair colour perfectly.

Meg lives and works in London and was just out for the day for a wander around in the sunshine.

"I'm a full time receptionist but I dream of being an actress. I need to work full time to pay the bills whilst I look for acting work."

I asked Meg if she had a motto or ethos in life.

"Dont assume.....there is so much you don't know in the world."

Thank you Meg and good luck.

Meg - [Stranger 233]
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I found myself in Chelmsford today to see the results of the Chelmsford Photo Marathon competition I entered 2 weeks ago.

As a complete surprise to me and completely unexpected I am so chuffed to say I actually won the competition!

Around 80 people entered I believe and from seeing the entries today there was some very stiff competition. Prize was a £100 voucher for Cameraworld.

I also managed to make three portraits today. Results are posted below.

I noticed Usman walking along listening to his music on headphones and thought the colour tones of his clothing would match the dark green background of a nearby building.

With a little hesitation Usman agreed to my making his portrait. He told me he was living and studying in Chelmsford but beyond that he was a man of very few words.

I thanked Usman for his time and we parted company.

234 - Usman
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Jane was filming a street performer on her phone and looked to be enjoying the music of the musician, Paolo, (stranger 236). I got chatting to Jane, asking if she was part of Paolo's management or support. No, she knew Paolo and stopped to say hello.

I asked Jane to be part of my project, to which she obviously agreed but said; "I'm the most un-photogenic person I know.."

We moved to a nearby alleyway, out of the direct afternoon sunshine.

Jane works in London but lives in Chelmsford, she was meeting with friends for lunch but had stopped by where Paolo was performing to say hello.

"Music, good food and wine make me happy. I'm a massive fan of George Michael but obviously I will never get to see him perform again."

Jane gave me her business card and said, "If you manage to get any decent shots could you please send them to me?"

Thanks Jane.

235 - Jane
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Jane
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Last edited:
Paolo was the musician Jane (stranger #235) was filming on her phone.

Paolo is half Italian/half English and lives in Chelmsford as a single parent to 3 children. Performing his music at gigs around the area this is his main source of income.

"I'm a 21st Century one man band!"

"I perform at gigs 2-3 times every week. I'm promoting my latest album but as yet I'm unsigned to a label.

Success is coming though!"

I spoke to Paolo's manager Martin afterwards, who said.

"Paolo is on the brink of much success. We are attending a function where Paolo is the only unsigned act, him being there is no coincidence. We are optimistic!"

Thanks Paolo and Martin!
Wishing you every success.

More can be seen/heard of Paolo at:

www.paolomorena.com

236 - Paolo
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Paolo
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Last edited:
Congrats on your win Iain. Mind me asking what you won with?

Really like the Meg B&W on your Flickr. It stood out to me as (apparently) a non-stranger shot, but the one you've presented here clearly is. They both present two quite dramatic opposites for me - one being almost a movie-star look, with the colour image showing much more human-ness (?!) & vulnerability.

I also really like 235-Jane. When I saw it I immediately thought "what the hell's going on? non square-on pose, top of the head chopped off? What's he thinking?" But compared to the one below, it's a much stronger image and I really like it. Obviously, the expression is very different and that contributes but I really like the composition in the first as well.

Nice to see Usman & Paolo increase your Y chromosome content. Paolo reminds me of Mark Strong (Kingsman & other stuff).

Congrats on your win Iain. Mind me asking what you won with?

Really like the Meg B&W on your Flickr. It stood out to me as (apparently) a non-stranger shot, but the one you've presented here clearly is. They both present two quite dramatic opposites for me - one being almost a movie-star look, with the colour image showing much more human-ness (?!) & vulnerability.

I also really like 235-Jane. When I saw it I immediately thought "what the hell's going on? non square-on pose, top of the head chopped off? What's he thinking?" But compared to the one below, it's a much stronger image and I really like it. Obviously, the expression is very different and that contributes but I really like the composition in the first as well.

Nice to see Usman & Paolo increase your Y chromosome content. Paolo reminds me of Mark Strong (Kingsman & other stuff).

Thanks Ian, I thought I was quietly going about my business here in this project, thanks for looking in and commenting.

The competition was Chelmsford photo marathon, 12 themes announced at 10 am to be completed in 6 hours. Shot in JPEG, no pp allowed (except anything in camera)
I have them up on my Facebook photography page but nowhere else.

The change of pose for Jane was more out of necessity than anything else. Jane was helping to hold the reflector and had her right arm raised a little. It sort of unbalanced the pose so I decided to crop in a little.

I thought Meg had a great look with some lending themselves to B&W her other expressions more for colour.

Usman was a tough nut to crack, I am not sure if there was a language barrier or he was a man of few words. Either way I didn't get much dialogue from him.

Thanks again Ian.

Spent the whole day Saturday walking around London photographing 18 sculptures which have been placed around the City. These are all by individual artists and are there for a limited time. I have a lot of photographs to go through and might get around to posting them up here.

In the meantime, I managed to make two portraits today for my ongoing 100 Strangers project. Posted below!

Bethany's striking red hair is what caught my attention as I was waiting by a new background I had found. She was looking at her phone, perhaps following directions when I stopped her to ask to be a part of my project. With some curiosity as to the nature of the project, Bethany happily agreed.

Bethany from Melbourne, Australia has been living and working in the UK for 3 years.

"I've just moved into a new house and I am off out shopping to buy stuff!"

"I like making things, stories, I'm a filmmaker!"

A motto in life?

"Nothing is ever good enough!"

I never asked Bethany about that, I just took it to mean that she is striving for perfection and working hard to achieve it.

Thank you Bethany and good luck!

237 - Bethany
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Back