100 Strangers [Round 3] **Complete** 5th April 2018..

Maria told me she is from Latvia but is Russian.

"I've just finished studying and have started work, so I feel like a real adult!"

What's your ambition?

I"I would love to live in Madrid. I love the Spanish language and culture. I speak 5 languages but want to ace my Spanish. I love London too and I will be here for another 3 years so don't think Brexit will affect me.....I hope!"

What makes you happy?

"People, its all about the people. Wherever I go, I have connected with someone, its the laughs, the jokes, just being on the same wavelength as someone."

Good luck Maria and thank you.

258 - Maria
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Alison is from London, I noticed her friendly persona whilst she was making a telephone call from the grounds of St. Bartholomew Hospital.

"I'm a freelance set designer, my last job was on the set of Endeavour, an ITV drama."

What do you wish for?

"My partner is a patient in the hospital at the moment, so my wish is that he gets well and is fighting fit!"

Thank you Alison and good luck to you and your partner.

259 - Alison
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

It was Glenn's sense of style that I noticed first as he was walking along. I introduced my 100 strangers project to him to which he replied with a smile, "Is it because I look strange?"

Assured that he looked far from strange Glenn told me that he is originally from Sunderland but has lived in a London borough for many years.

"Is this going to take long?" he asked.

It's just that I'm off to the theatre to see The Ferryman play for the third time, it's just fantastic! I phoned at short notice and managed to get a good seat in the theatre for £25!"

I asked Glenn about his style.

"My style? I just make it up as I go along. I like the English country gentleman look but this outfit cost me f*** all, my shirt was £1..."

What advice would you give to your younger self?

"Have confidence!"

Thanks Glenn.

260 - Glenn
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Night time around Covent Garden I noticed the very stylish Sally with her equally stylish partner Iain walking along near the stage door of one of the theatres.

Sally is originally from Yorkshire but has been living in London for the past 40 years. I commented on how strong her Yorkshire accent was after that time, her partner Iain still had his equally strong Scottish accent.

I would have loved to have made Iain's portrait also but was aware that I didn't want to take too much of their time as they were clearly on a night out.

Sally was just simply fantastic as a stranger portrait subject, she made many different poses and looks towards the camera, it was difficult to choose the one to include.

I asked Sally what advice she would give to her younger self?

"Don't give a s***!"

Thank you Sally and Iain, I thoroughly enjoyed our encounter!

261 - Sally
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Following a full day of walking around Colchester with no success shooting my project, I was beginning to think that perhaps this is one of those places that is just too tough a nut to crack photography/project wise.

I was heading back to my car when I noticed Claire, particularly her colourful style, tattoos and piercings. After a little reassurance that I wasn't 'selling' my photography to her she happily agreed to be part of my project.

Claire lives in Colchester and was out with her family enjoying the good weather.

I asked Claire what advice she would give to her younger self?

"Love yourself, everyone has an intrinsic value and learn to recognise that in yourself!"

Thank you Claire.

262 - Claire
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I had a rare day off during the week on Tuesday and to make the most of it, I found myself shooting my 100 strangers project in Cambridge.
It was a very successful day, met some lovely people along the way. Results of the day are posted below. Comments and critique welcome as always!

I noticed Lorraine, her fantastic hair in particular whilst she was wandering around Cambridge, looking a little lost I might add!

Lorraine is originally from Zimbabwe but now living in South Africa for the past 15 years but with a couple of years living in the UK during that time.

"Be more happy, I think I take myself too seriously."

Thanks Lorraine.

Posted below are two portraits of Lorraine. The first is a non-smiling one as I asked for my project's aesthetic but I felt having heard Lorraine's response to my question that I must post her initial portrait. One with a smile.

263 - Lorraine
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Lorraine
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I found a background which I wanted to use and decided to wait a little while for someone to come along. Charley walked along a short time later and thought she had great style. I never managed to hear a lot about Charley as she seemed to be in a bit of a rush. I did get to ask her what advice she would give her younger self?

"Don't sweat the small stuff!"

Thanks for your time Charley.

264 - Charley
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Jason who lives near Cambridge is a full time musician, singer/songwriter.

"I will be playing at The Flying Pig public house later on but I'm about to go busking with my mate Nick this afternoon."

Advice to younger self?

"Start busking a lot sooner than what I did to build up experience of performing.

I don't know if I can say that I've made it, that can mean different things to different people. This is what I do full time, so I pay my bills from this. Is that making it? I don't know!"

Good luck Jason and thanks for being a part of my project.

265 - Jason
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Again, I found a background in Cambridge city centre I wished to use and it was simply a case of waiting until someone came along. I noticed Hiromi and her great style walking along.

Hiromi is from Japan but has been in the UK about 10 years. She is studying for her Phd in Audio and Music Technology. Hiromi told me:

"It's about improving sounds fro audio equipment, speakers, amplifiers etc.

In the future I would like to work in the audio/music technology business with the likes of Sony, Phillips and other audio technology companies."

"Food makes me happy!"

Thank you Hiromi and good luck!

266 - Hiromi
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Jason who lives near Cambridge is a full time musician, singer/songwriter.

"I will be playing at The Flying Pig public house later on but I'm about to go busking with my mate Nick this afternoon."

Advice to younger self?

"Start busking a lot sooner than what I did to build up experience of performing.

I don't know if I can say that I've made it, that can mean different things to different people. This is what I do full time, so I pay my bills from this. Is that making it? I don't know!"

Good luck Jason and thanks for being a part of my project.

265 - Jason
by Iain Blake, on Flickr
Awesome! I've seen Jason play before, busking and in a local pub!

Awesome! I've seen Jason play before, busking and in a local pub!

Thanks Ben, I enjoyed our short interaction, Jason came across as a cool, laid back guy. I wish him every success!

I started a 100 strangers project two years ago and have so far taken one portrait (Richard, on a narrowboat). Anyway - I'm interested in how you remember the details about your subjects, do you chat, take the photos and then write notes at the time from memory, or do you make some notes before the photographs or during?

I started a 100 strangers project two years ago and have so far taken one portrait (Richard, on a narrowboat). Anyway - I'm interested in how you remember the details about your subjects, do you chat, take the photos and then write notes at the time from memory, or do you make some notes before the photographs or during?

I introduce myself and my project to the stranger if they say yes, I give them my card with all my details on and just discuss where the photographs will be going (Facebook, Instagram etc).
I make their portrait, generally taking 4 or 5 frames depending on light, pose etc. I chat to them whilst doing that but mostly leave my questions until after I've made their portrait. Once we part company, I jot notes down in a notebook about our encounter. Its not usually a lengthy conversation so I get the salient points, check the spelling of their name and that's about it Tony.

I introduce myself and my project to the stranger if they say yes, I give them my card with all my details on and just discuss where the photographs will be going (Facebook, Instagram etc).
I make their portrait, generally taking 4 or 5 frames depending on light, pose etc. I chat to them whilst doing that but mostly leave my questions until after I've made their portrait. Once we part company, I jot notes down in a notebook about our encounter. Its not usually a lengthy conversation so I get the salient points, check the spelling of their name and that's about it Tony.

Thanks Iain. That's roughly how I did it with Richard, although he started the conversation (and hence, so far, is the only one of my 100), but remembering stuff even straight afterwards was tough because I was so frazzled! I guess it gets easier with time and experience! Still love #261 (https://flic.kr/p/Xx3oLb), such a compelling image.

Thanks Iain. That's roughly how I did it with Richard, although he started the conversation (and hence, so far, is the only one of my 100), but remembering stuff even straight afterwards was tough because I was so frazzled! I guess it gets easier with time and experience! Still love #261 (https://flic.kr/p/Xx3oLb), such a compelling image.

It does get easier after a while Tony.
Sally, #261 is a particular favourite of mine too. She was just such a character, really got the project and I got so many different poses and looks from her too.
I suspect she is/was a model or something of that ilk, she was just so comfortable in front of camera.

Jason is intriguing, was he suspicious of you? You seem good at putting people at ease and most portraits seem fairly relaxed and natural but Jason seems a little tense somehow, perhaps he was a little on edge for his performance. Perhaps I am just reading too much into it. As ever all are up to your usual high standard and I love dropping into this thread, thank you.

Jason is intriguing, was he suspicious of you? You seem good at putting people at ease and most portraits seem fairly relaxed and natural but Jason seems a little tense somehow, perhaps he was a little on edge for his performance. Perhaps I am just reading too much into it. As ever all are up to your usual high standard and I love dropping into this thread, thank you.

Thanks Chris, no I don't think he was suspicious at all, he was completely laidback.
I asked him to turn his head a little so as I could deal with the reflection on his glasses and then look back towards the camera. This was the result haha!

Wandering around a mainly quiet and deserted Warwick town centre, I noticed Soraya and in particular her lovely red hair and friendly face.

Soraya lives in Warwick but works in nearby Coventry and was heading into town on a quiet Sunday.

"Save more money and stop spending!"

I asked Soraya the origin of her name.

"Soraya is Egyptian, in the 60's Soraya married a billionaire, Adnan Khashoggi. I think my Mum read too many magazines!"

Thanks for being a part of my project Soraya.

267 - Soraya
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I was heading out of quiet Warwick on Sunday afternoon back to the car as the weather had taken a turn for the worse when I noticed Carlota. She had her hood raised against the rain but I noticed a flash of her fantastic colourful hair beneath the hood.

Carlota was visiting the UK with family from Spain. Because of the language barrier I never got to hear too much about Carlota.

What makes you happy?

"I'm a music lover!"

Thank you for being a part of my project Carlota.

268 - Carlotta
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Last edited:
Dee's bright red hat and obvious sense of fashion caught my eye as she crossed the footbridge towards the town centre.

Dee is originally from China but is currently living and studying for her Phd in English Literature at Leamington Spa University.

"I have two years left on my Phd but beyond that, I would love to live in New York. I went to university in the USA, so I could go back.

I'm off shopping today for sunglasses!"

"I do enjoy art and culture which the UK has such a lot of. I do like to visit the museums."

Thank you Dee and good luck for your future!

269 - Dee
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I noticed Erhan painting the woodwork on the shop front of a new male grooming salon.

Erhan is originally from Turkey but now lives in the UK with his wife. Turns out it is Erhan's shop that he was working on.

"Our contractor let us down so we are trying to get the place ready for opening on Wednesday."

Erhan's place is called lord and sword, I asked him of the origin of the name?

"Ethan translated means brave lord, sword represents the town name of Royal Leamington Spa plus it symbolises what I am doing here with male grooming, using straight razors for instance. I would like to have a chain of shops one day."

Thank you Erhan and good luck with your business it certainly looked very stylish I'm sure you'll do really well.

270 - Erhan
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I have been back up in Warwickshire again this week, Leamington Spa to be precise.
It has been a day of declines but fortunately for my projects sake I made two portraits which I am very happy with.
I was beginning to think Leamington Spa was going onto that list of places which I've found to be "a tough nut to crack" but it won out in the end.
The two portraits will follow next weekend when I return home.

Holly is originally from Edinburgh but living in Leamington Spa for over 20 years with still a soft Scottish accent which I picked up on when I first spoke to Holly.

"I lived with friends whilst at university in Warwick and I met my husband during that time and the rest as they say is history."

"That's a tough question. I'm not really a person who has regrets in life. You make your choices and you live with them and learn from them!"

Thanks for being a part of my 100 Strangers project Holly.

271 - Holly
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Zoe's fantastic colourful hair caught my attention as she walked along the quiet Sunday streets of Leamington Spa.

Zoe is from nearby Warwick but was having a stroll around Leamington, window shopping when I first noticed her.

"What? You want to take my photograph? I've not got my make-up on!"

"Let your hair down, be free!"

Thanks Zoe!

272 - Zoe
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Being night shift this week from my day job (if that makes sense?) allowed me to visit Cambridge during the week. This was specifically to shoot for a forthcoming club competition (more of that nearer the time) but I also managed to make a few portraits whilst I was there for my 100 Strangers project.

Posted below, comments and critique most welcome as always!

Alice's stylish outfit stood out amongst the many tourists on quite a cold day in Cambridge.

Alice is from West London but has been living and studying in Cambridge for her History Phd for a year.

"in the future, I would like to still be writing books on women and feminist history, thats my academic goal."

Thank you for being a part of my project Alice and good luck for your future!

273 - Alice
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Aleksandra was in quite a rush in the direction of the train station but she happily gave me a few moments of her time.

Due to time constraints, I didn't really get to hear much about Aleksandra except for the fact she is Russian but lives in Bedford.

"Probably learn to say no more often!"

Thanks for your time Aleksandra, I am glad you never took your advice when I asked you to be part of my project!

274 - Aleksandra
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

You’re really cracking on with these Iain! Great work as always.

Cheers David, good to see you are still around the forum.

The project is an obsession, I will probably do another round after this one haha!

I had a very successful day today shooting my 100 Strangers project around The Barbican area in the City. Results are posted below. Comments and critique welcome as always!

Bruna - [Stranger #75]

Bruna's richly coloured coat was the thing that initially caught my attention when she was standing chatting with a friend.

When I made my introduction, Bruna was a little hesitant at first, replying, "I'm a very shy person" but happily agreed.

Bruna is from Portugal but has been living in the UK for 3 years.

"I am going home to Portugal next week. I am leaving London, it's time for a new challenge!"

Thank you Bruna and good luck for whatever happens next

275 - Bruna
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Sarah [Stranger #76]

Sarah's fantastic hair caught my attention whilst she was walking along towards the Barbican Theatre.

Sarah, from Canada is visiting family in the UK and was out with her cousin Rachel for the day around the Barbican.

I must thank Rachel, she was very encouraging of Sarah to have my make her portrait, telling her how good she looked.

"Say yes, whatever the challenge or opportunity comes along, say yes!"

Thank you Sarah, and Rachel for your encouragement of Sarah, I agree, Sarah certainly did look good!

276 - Sarah
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Rachel - [Stranger #77]

Rachel's sense of style, tattoos and piercings caught my attention as she passed by with her shopping.

Advice to younger self?

"Do more things for yourself, worry less about what others think of you.

That sounds incredibly selfish though but I think it's important to look after oneself!"

I agree Rachel. Thank you for being a part of my project!

277 - Rachel
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Dennis - [Stranger #78]

Dennis's stylish outfit caught my attention.

Dennis lives and works in London as a professional photographer, so there was a little bit of pressure on to capture his portrait.

"I'm just out chilling for the day!"

"Do you know, there isn't a lot I would change in life. I have been extremely lucky in my life. I have cornered a little niche in the market in my professional life (product photography, cosmetics) and wouldn't change a thing. If anything, I would say stay on the path!"

Thanks Dennis, a pleasure chatting with you!

278 - Dennis
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Dennis - [Stranger #78]

Dennis's stylish outfit caught my attention.

Dennis lives and works in London as a professional photographer, so there was a little bit of pressure on to capture his portrait.

"I'm just out chilling for the day!"

"Do you know, there isn't a lot I would change in life. I have been extremely lucky in my life. I have cornered a little niche in the market in my professional life (product photography, cosmetics) and wouldn't change a thing. If anything, I would say stay on the path!"

Thanks Dennis, a pleasure chatting with you!

278 - Dennis
by Iain Blake, on Flickr
I love the strong geometry behind Dennis juxtaposed with his bowler hat.

Today I visited Norwich, primarily and most importantly to visit my big pal Damien @Slimbert who is in hospital and going through a rough time to say the least. As visiting hours weren't until the afternoon, i went up early and took my 100 Strangers project with me.
I found Norwich to be full of friendly people and managed to make some portraits for my project. Posted below, comments and critique welcome as always.

Stranger #79 - Katarzyna [Katie]

Katarzyna [Katie] was walking towards me when I noticed her colourful and stylish coat.

Originally from Poland but Katarzyna has been living and working in the UK for 10 years.

"Everything is easier in England, it's also so much quieter compared to Poland...!"

Thank you Katarzyna.

279 - Katarzyna [Katie]
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Stranger #80 - Sara

Sara was taken by surprise when I asked her to be a part of my project just as she exited a restaurant. I thought it no surprise as to why I asked her, it was her fantastic colourful hair.

What advice would Sara give to her younger self?

"Enjoy life, it's too short to worry about what other people say or think about you!"

Thank you Sara.

280 - Sara
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Back