100 Strangers [Round 3] **Complete** 5th April 2018..

Just along from where I made Bethany's (Stranger 237) portrait, I happened across a further new background. I wasn't waiting long when I saw Grazina walking past. Again I thought she had a friendly face and after a few questions as to the nature of my project Grazina happily agreed.

Grazina is originally from Lithuania but has lived and worked in the UK for 5 years.

Grazing told me she is a freelance digital visual designer, a traveller and a maker!

I asked Grazina about Brexit (forthcoming breakaway of the UK from European Union), how does she think it'll affect her as a non UK citizen?

"I think I will be ok, I've lived in the UK for 5 years. I have a Scottish boyfriend and I could marry him but I don't want it to appear to be the reason for getting married, that would allow me to stay in the country.

Its a shame that Brexit may stop people experiencing other cultures and integrating with different communities!"

I asked Grazina what makes her happy?

"Creating and travel."

Thank you Grazina and good luck!

238 - Grazina
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I haven't stopped in on this thread for a while, glad to see another really interesting and captivating set of portraits. (y)

I haven't stopped in on this thread for a while, glad to see another really interesting and captivating set of portraits. (y)

Thanks for stopping by Chris, the project continues in a slow burn kinda way ;)

I really enjoy looking at your portraits here. I particularly like reading the little bits about the subjects, it seems like a really good way to become more confident about having a camera out and about. It's something I feel would be good for me to try to get over the feeling I'm always being watched when I'm out with my camera.

I really enjoy looking at your portraits here. I particularly like reading the little bits about the subjects, it seems like a really good way to become more confident about having a camera out and about. It's something I feel would be good for me to try to get over the feeling I'm always being watched when I'm out with my camera.

Thanks Ben,
I've never thought about it that way, certainly a good way to look at it (the project).
I've found the photography side almost becomes secondary, I've always looked on the project as a way to engage with people.
I would certainly encourage people to give it a go if people photography is what you are into but bear in mind that you may attract attention when you are actually making the portrait. Bringing out a reflector or earlier in this round for me it was lighting equipment :D

I've still yet to practice any real portraiture yet, so I'll probably start with friends. My best mate wants pictures of his car that he built in some unusual locations to match the patina look he's going for on the car, so I'll make that an excuse to do some shots where he is the subject and use the car in the background.

I've still yet to practice any real portraiture yet, so I'll probably start with friends. My best mate wants pictures of his car that he built in some unusual locations to match the patina look he's going for on the car, so I'll make that an excuse to do some shots where he is the subject and use the car in the background.

That sounds like a sound plan Ben.
Start with friends and go from there, good luck!

I noticed Echo in company of friends having a wander round the back streets near to Brick Lane. She had a friendly persona so I dared to interrupt as she was also taking photographs.

Echo is from Texas but visiting the UK with friends before she is going to Greece for a month to teach yoga.

"I have taught yoga all over the world for the past 5 years. I'm off to Greece for a month where I've been invited to teach some people to be yoga teachers."

"I enjoy freedom to express myself!"

Thank you Echo and good luck!

239 - Echo
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I think it may be a little obvious as to why I noticed Hannah walking towards Brick Lane with friends, her fantastic colourful hair!

Hannah is from Singapore but currently visiting the UK with friends.

I suggested to Hannah that we use the graffiti as a backdrop to complement her colourful style.

I asked Hannah if she had a motto or outlook in life?

"Do no harm, take no s***!"

Thank you Hannah.

240 - Anna
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Last edited:
Philippa's colourful style caught my attention as she walked near Spitalfields Market.

"I've just met with a friend whom I haven't seen in ages for a bit of brunch. I'm a little hungover."

Philippa's outlook on life?

"Do what makes you happy!"

Thank you Philippa.

241 - Philippa
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Hi Iain - always enjoy seeing these pop up on my Flickr feed.

I'm not completely sold on the BG for Echo. I find myself wanting to know what the image would look like with more bricks and less cars & street. I quite like the way she's leaning back into the space you created though so I'm definitely 100% not sure.

As for Anna, well "Shabang" as that headshot fella would say. Jazzy eyes, jazzy hear & jazzy background. It's an uplifting, vibrant and energetic portrait for me and the hint of a smile finishes it off.

Philippa suffers (for me) from the weak background - which I've come to expect as a trademark of sorts. Not sure if this is good or bad, but either way she has stunning eyes (maybe that's what the bg is complimenting?) and a lovely smile. Lippy compliments the top she's wearing but the bra straps are a bit distracting to my (OCD) mind.

Enjoying your work Iain. Keep it up!

Hi Iain - always enjoy seeing these pop up on my Flickr feed.

I'm not completely sold on the BG for Echo. I find myself wanting to know what the image would look like with more bricks and less cars & street. I quite like the way she's leaning back into the space you created though so I'm definitely 100% not sure.

As for Anna, well "Shabang" as that headshot fella would say. Jazzy eyes, jazzy hear & jazzy background. It's an uplifting, vibrant and energetic portrait for me and the hint of a smile finishes it off.

Philippa suffers (for me) from the weak background - which I've come to expect as a trademark of sorts. Not sure if this is good or bad, but either way she has stunning eyes (maybe that's what the bg is complimenting?) and a lovely smile. Lippy compliments the top she's wearing but the bra straps are a bit distracting to my (OCD) mind.

Enjoying your work Iain. Keep it up!

Thanks Ian,
Echo's portrait and Philippa's were very much 'on the hoof', that is to say very much impromptu and chose a background where I stopped them.
Clothing etc is obviously beyond my control. I could attempt to clone any distracting items but it's not really in keeping with the (my) ethos of the project.

Thanks again for commenting, much appreciated.

I noticed Josephine amongst a group of friends due to her colourful headscarf. Josephine's portrait was more a collaboration than a one sided transaction in her agreeing to be part of my project as she was in the midst of conducting a survey. Interviewing passersby about their using the Barbican and the surrounding area. I agreed to take the survey in exchange for my making Josephine's portrait.

Josephine is originally from Tanzania but is now living and working in London. I got the impression quite early on from our conversation that Josephine is very much a free spirit who has travelled extensively around the world.

"I don't know where I will end up in the future. I'm an adventurer, when I see something/somewhere, I will go for it. I love to create. I studied architecture, not from the point of view that I love buildings, more that I have a wish to be creative and that was an outlet for my creativity.

I would love to have a family one day, a couple of probably feral kids who I hope they would have the same sense of adventure and free spirit as I have."

Josephine and I spoke at some length about the 100 strangers project and could draw parallels with the survey Josephine was conducting. About how one can get a sense of a person and gauge if they are approachable or not.

A thoroughly enjoyable interaction it was for me and glad that Josephine is part of my project.

Thank you Josephine and good luck for wherever your travels take you!

Josephine - [Stranger #242]
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I went back to off camera flash (OCF) for Josephine's portrait above as the light was dreadful under the walkway in the Barbican.
Josephine was ultimately patient whilst I set it up and made a few test shots. All in all I am pleased with the outcome but comments and critique are welcome as always!

Its been a few weeks since I've been shooting my 100 strangers project and with some time on my hands I ventured into Cambridge for a walkabout.

I noticed Frankie's colourful sense of style whilst she was strolling along taking in the Cambridge sights.

Frankie from Melbourne was visiting Cambridge with family when I asked her to be a part of my project. She happily agreed and we made her portrait just beside where I stopped her to ask.

Frankie's partner Dan was so helpful in the making of Frankie's portrait by holding the reflector. Thanks Dan!

I asked Frankie what made her happy and straight away, without hesitation she said.

"This guy!" looking towards Dan with the most beaming smile.

I didn't wish to take any more of their time so didn't find out much more about Frankie.

Thank you for being a part of my project Frankie and thanks again Dan for your skills on the reflector!

Frankie - [Stranger #243]
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Amy is from Ipswich, a high school teacher in graphic design, technology and food science.

"i'm off to collect a delivery, tonight I am going to see Derren Brown. Basically, I am doing anything to avoid study and notes preparation for school."

"In the future, I wish to be a university lecturer but will have to do my Masters. I just need any excuse to do the things I love! Being creative makes me happy!"

Thank you Amy for being a part of my 100 strangers project and good luck in achieving your ambitions!

244 - Amy
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

More great portraits. Do you spend a lot of time in Cambridge? It's such a great city to walk around with a camera!

Thanks Ben, I've spent a fair amount of time in Cambridge. In fact, it's second to London for having shot portraits throughout my project.
I live around 30 miles from Cambridge so it's relatively close to home.

I live about the same distance but into suffolk as opposed to essex. I really need to go there more. I go to the races in Newmarket a lot, but they don't really like anything bigger than a compact camera there, especially in the Owners and Trainers section where I go :/

I live about the same distance but into suffolk as opposed to essex. I really need to go there more. I go to the races in Newmarket a lot, but they don't really like anything bigger than a compact camera there, especially in the Owners and Trainers section where I go :/

Is there any way you could get an 'in' for more serious photography?
Or are there such things as 'professional' race photographers?

Is there any way you could get an 'in' for more serious photography?
Or are there such things as 'professional' race photographers?
Unfortunately it's a very cliquey community. I imagine it would take a lot of persuasion to get a camera in outside of official positions because I'm not allowed despite going in with tickets from John Gosden :confused:

I had a very productive day today with regards to my 100 Strangers project. Mainly in Greenwich but finishing off in Poplar before heading home. Results are posted below.
Comments and critique welcome as always.

Jen from west London was visiting Greenwich for the day. Jen works at a university running programs for disadvantaged young people.

"Although I have travelled, I would still like to travel and see more of the world."

Advice to younger self?

"Say yes! If an opportunity comes along, take it. Even if it doesn't work out how you would've liked at least you gave it a go!"

Thanks Jen.

245 - Jen
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I noticed Kasia's bright blue headscarf initially but at the time she and Domink were deep in conversation, so not wishing to interrupt, I waited for a suitable moment to ask her to be a part of my project.

Kasia and Domink are both from Poland. Kasia has been in the UK 10 months, Dominik 2 years. I found this out through Dominik interpreting mainly as Kasia is still learning English and my Polish language skills are non existent!
Kasia is a qualified paramedic in her native Poland but for the time being, she is working in retail whilst she improves her English language skills. In fact that is where she and Dominik had been earlier, language school.

Kaia told me, "It is my ambition to work in the UK as a paramedic, I love people and wish to help them."

Dominik and I spoke of the UK's forthcoming departure from the EU. It worries them both what the implications of that may be. Perhaps that is why Kasia has a certain sadness showing in her portrait. They do have an uncertain future.

Thank you Kasia and Dominik for being a part of my project and good luck for your future.

246 - Kasia
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Michael was just setting up to play his guitar and sing busking in the Greenwich foot tunnel which runs North/South beneath the River Thames.

"I lost my job in the city during the financial crisis and have been busking for 6 years, ever since my girlfriend suggested that I try to make some money from my music. I would like to go further, of course I would but as long as I have enough money for fags and booze then I am happy. I have had some 'trouble' in the past down here busking as it is not allowed but I feel I am doing no harm. I don't claim benefits and am supporting myself."

I told Michael he is stranger #47 of this round.

"47 is my lucky number, its the year my favourite football team first won the league!"

Thanks for your time Michael and also for being a part of my project, good luck!

247 - Michael
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I think its quite obvious as to why I asked Becky to be a part of my project.

Becky was down visiting London from Leicester with friends where she is a photography/video student at university.

"I'd like a career in video editing side of things more so than photography."

I asked Becky if she had a motto in life?

"Be happy!"

Thanks Becky and good luck for your future!

248 - Becky
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Henry appeared to be a man who wasn't in too much of a rush when I asked him to be a part of my project.

"I'm not going anywhere in particular, just out for a stroll."

"I'm an artist and musician, I travel a lot, particularly India which is where my music draws its influence from. My art is more abstract, I don't look for realism in it, its more symbolism."

Henry is a very spiritual guy, we spoke of his beliefs and faith which made a lot of sense to me what he was saying. A very enjoyable encounter, thank you Henry.

249 - Henry
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

As always, great choices for the backgrounds. I particularly like the rounded geometry behind Henry.

Thanks Ben, the background to Henry's portrait is one which I've used in both previous rounds of my strangers project.
It is a particular favourite of mine but one which must be used sparingly I feel.

Something of a departure from my usual shooting locations, whilst on holiday recently in Zakinthos, I thought I'd try my hand at my 100 strangers project here. Zakinthos is one of those places which I found to be a 'tough nut to crack' project wise. It wasn't until the last day of my holiday that I noticed Lee, with his great beard and tattoos.

Lee is from Leeds, Yorkshire and was on holiday with his family.

"I get asked all the time for my photograph, it's the look!"

"I just trimmed a lot off my beard for coming on holiday, it was much longer before. I've had it five years now, its part of my identity but I am having it all shaved off in October for charity, its mental health week. It will be strange without it but I will grow it back in November for Mo'vember!"

I asked Lee how to spell his name?

"Its Lee, you can't miss it, Ive got it tattooed on my back!" he said with a smile.

What advice would you give to your younger self?

"Listen to my Mum more. My Dad died when I was 7 years old, he was 27. My Mum later remarried but i didn't get on with my stepdad, so from 11 years old I rebelled a bit. If my kids ever treated their Mum like I did mine there would be trouble!"

Thanks Lee, enjoy the rest of your holiday!

250 - Lee
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Back on home territory with my 100 strangers project this weekend. Results from today posted below. Comments and critique welcome as always.

Maddie is from Belfast but has lived in London for 20 years.

Speaking with a soft Northern Ireland accent, I commented how Maddie hadn't lost her accent after 20 years, she said,

"I try not to."

In something of a rush, Maddie was off to meet friends but I managed to ask her what made her happy?

"A lovely west coast IPA, thats where I'm off to now, a drink with friends!"

I mentioned that if Maddie wished a copy of her portrait she could find it on Facebook or instagram.

"I'm not on social media, I choose not to, just email for me!"

If you see this Maddie, thanks for being a part of my 100 strangers project.

251 - Maddie
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Nadia is from Paris but visiting London for a short period.

I thought the background of the gates to Smithfield Market complimented the colour tones of Nadia's jacket and necklace so we moved short distance along the pavement from where I initially spoke to Nadia.

"Sport makes me happy, I love to run. I'm a primary school teacher and thats enjoyable too teaching is very fulfilling."

Where do you see yourself in 10 years time, I asked Nadia?

"I wish to live in either London or Montreal."

Good luck Nadia and thanks for being a part of my project.

252 - Nadia
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I'm on something of a roll with my 100 Strangers project this weekend, off to Cambridge today. Results of which are posted below. Comments and critique welcome as always.

Terry from Austin, Texas but visiting the UK for 6 weeks was browsing the shops in Cambridge.

"My husband is British and with my son who has dual nationality, we try to get back to the UK as often as possible.

I'm Mexican/American descent and with all the racial tensions at the moment (apologies for our President), I needed to get away from it all."

I asked Terry what advice she would give to her younger self?

"Take every opportunity!"

Thank you Terry!

253 - Terry
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I noticed Myfanwy window shopping near an art gallery in Cambridge. She happily agreed to have me make her portrait and handed the lead of her dog to her friend whilst we crossed the narrow road towards the doorway of one of Cambridge's many colleges.

When I asked Myfanwy her name, she replied then said "It's Welsh!" I'm sure that was in response to my puzzled look as I had to ask Myfanwy to write it down for my notes about our encounter.

"I'm about to start a fine arts degree but I am currently working in a gallery, the one across the road."

Myfanwy gestured towards the art gallery she was looking in the window of when I stopped her.

"I'd love to be a painter when I graduate, if not that then definitely something arty. I do love working in the art gallery, perhaps I could do that."

Myfanwy left me with this thought when I asked if she had a motto.

"Be kind to everyone!"

Thank you for being a part of my project Myfanwy and good luck!

254 - Myfanwy
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I noticed Jasmeen's fantastic hairstyle and fashion sense whilst she was walking along with a couple of friends towards the Botanical Garden in Cambridge. Jasmine lives and works in Cambridge.

I asked Jasmine where she could see herself in 10 years time?

"I work with Microsoft in Cambridge, I love my work and can't see me moving from there but who knows what the future will bring."

A motto in life?

"It's one everyone says but I would say don't worry, be happy!"

Thank you Jasmine and good luck!

255 - Jasmeen
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Yesterday saw a full and eventful day 12 hours in all, shooting my 100 Strangers project around London.

I managed to make 6 portraits for my project meeting some fantastic people along the way. Although all lovely people, most memorable for me was Sally (and her partner Iain). Sally threw so many poses it was difficult to keep up. I have shared some above. Glenn was ever so stylish, I enjoyed making his portrait and then Maria, a wonderful young woman who speaks no less than 5 languages!

Along the way, I also met a couple of wonderful wedding photographers down from Newcastle shooting a wedding near Smithfield Market. Their USP? Twin sisters, check out their work at TheTwinsWedding Photography.

And finally I got told by a gentleman that I'm a spy (I'm not) and don't point my camera at him (I wasn't)
1f642.png

Results from yesterday are posted below. Comments and critique most welcome as always.

I found a background I wished to use near The Barbican and didn't have to wait long until I noticed Natalia walking along. Her coloured hair caught my attention initially.

Natalia lives and works in London and was going out to meet some friends for the day.

Where would you like to be in 10 years time?

"I'm a performance artist but I don't really look too far into the future. I'd like to still be performing but I'm more about the present!"

Thank you Natalia.

256 - Natalia
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

It was Anneli's colourful hair which similar to Natalia [stranger #256] caught my attention.

Anneli is from Estonia but has been living and working in the UK for 3 years.

"You can make my portrait but I'm not photogenic, and as long as it doesn't end up anywhere weird!" Anneli told me.

What makes you happy I asked?

"I'm still trying to figure that out. I am reading a book at the moment which teaches you to find yourself and fulfilment."

Where would you like to be in 10 years time?

"Not stuck in an office behind a computer looking at numbers making rich people richer which is what I am doing now. I want to do something creative, a painter, a stylist, a fashion buyer, anything but in an office!"

Thank you Anneli, and good luck!

257 - Anneli
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Back