101 Ways to Photogragh Pencils - Complete!

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
I first saw pictures of pencils in a photography magazine where they had submersed some pencils in water.
Then a few weeks back I noticed someone elses thread with their various compositions of pencils.
This inspired me to get the pencil sharpener out and have a go!

I’ve now decided that I should make this a mini project to help me think about composition and lighting.
As the title suggests, I aim to do 101 different images of pencils, so I guess my imagination will be put to the test too!

All C&C would be gratefully received.

Thanks for looking

[post=4360644] Numbers 1 to 6[/post]
[post=4362014] Numbers 7 to 10[/post]
[post=4368426] Numbers 11 to 19[/post]
[post=4371191] Numbers 20 to 22[/post]
[post=4393484] Numbers 23 to 27[/post]
[post=4393653] Number 28[/post]
[post=4396368] Numbers 29 to 31[/post]
[post=4411685] Numbers 32 to 37[/post]
[post=4451943] Numbers 38 to 43[/post]
[post=4453840] Numbers 44 to 51[/post] - Half way there!
[post=4497907] Numbers 52 to 57[/post]
[post=4538386] Number 58 ~ National Pencil Day![/post]
[post=4589170] Numbers 59 & 60[/post]
[post=4794568] Numbers 61 to 63[/post]
[post=4798442] Numbers 64 to 68 [/post]
[post=4799039] Numbers 69 to 72 [/post]
[post=4932410] Number 73 [/post]
[post=5061434] Numbers 74 to 79[/post]
[post=5230922] Numbers 80 to 83[/post]
[post=5257507] Numbers 84 to 87[/post]
[post=5257528] Numbers 88 to 91[/post]
[post=5268636] Numbers 92 to 96[/post]
[post=5268647] Numbers 97 to 101[/post] - I Made it!

The set on flickr

Last edited:
like the pics but can't help thinking the copyright logo on pic5 would have looked good if it was made to look like it was on the pencil

cool idea, i wouldn't have thought they wer 101 ways just to take a pic of a Pencil, will be keeping a close watch on this thread for ideas..

good luck.

Neil, you certainly like a challenge! No need to concern yourself with the weather for these ;)

I'm well impressed, the first set are great, well lit and sharp, every which way ;)
I prefer 7 to 8. The colour seems more natural. Well done though (y)

Last edited:
Looks like this could be a very interesting project to follow (y) I love the hi key ones (y) I think that the low key ones are a little under exposed for my tastes :shrug: except that last one (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

I didn't know pencils could be that interesting....perhaps they should open a Pencil Museum :D

So far, it's #9 for me. Crisp, well lit and I'm liking the black BG.

It is amazing how in such images, the slightest, and I mean the slightest, imperfection really stands out. For example, in #1, the pink pencil looks slightly out of alignment.

Not taking owt away from an excellent project...simplicity at its best...subscribed (y)

I didn't know pencils could be that interesting....perhaps they should open a Pencil Museum :D

It is amazing how in such images, the slightest, and I mean the slightest, imperfection really stands out. For example, in #1, the pink pencil looks slightly out of alignment.

Not taking owt away from an excellent project...simplicity at its best...subscribed (y)

I'd say the same about costa coffee cups until last year (y)

Will be keeping an eye on this thread.
Good luck with getting to 101 (y)

I'll need it!

cool idea, i wouldn't have thought they wer 101 ways just to take a pic of a Pencil, will be keeping a close watch on this thread for ideas..

good luck.

There may not be 101 ways, but there is only one way to find out!

Neil, you certainly like a challenge! No need to concern yourself with the weather for these ;)

I'm well impressed, the first set are great, well lit and sharp, every which way ;)
I prefer 7 to 8. The colour seems more natural. Well done thought (y)

Thanks Tina.
Weather work and family wont be getting in the way of this one!
I'm enjoying it a lot more than my failed prime challenge.

Looks like this could be a very interesting project to follow (y) I love the hi key ones (y) I think that the low key ones are a little under exposed for my tastes :shrug: except that last one (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Thanks Matt

It's difficult to move the pencils by the slightest of movements too.
Plus, some of the miss alignments don't show until you get them on the big screen.

Thanks for looking everyone.
Next shots should be up soon.

13 reminds me of a Queen video LoL
This is a fantastic idea for a thread and great photos too :clap:

I really like this idea, a great way to show/practice different skills. and you have certainly shown your great skills

Neil these are "simply" great abstracts !!, just the sort of images that i get pleasure from looking at(y)

This is definitely one I mean to follow Neil, suits my abstract tastes and with a nice splash of colour.

Hi Neil......gawd , wish I had your imagination....great idea for a challenge & some fab shots so far.....love the one's that make you think of the Queen video :clap:

Must admt....just been out & bought some Asda cheapies as quite fancy giving it a go.... imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so I'm told though have a feeling mine won't see the forum...to much to live up to ! Can't stop thinking about different ways to lay them out now I've seen your :bang:

So , would you care to share your lighting techniques ?

Hi Neil......gawd , wish I had your imagination....great idea for a challenge & some fab shots so far.....love the one's that make you think of the Queen video :clap:

Must admt....just been out & bought some Asda cheapies as quite fancy giving it a go.... imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so I'm told though have a feeling mine won't see the forum...to much to live up to ! Can't stop thinking about different ways to lay them out now I've seen your :bang:

So , would you care to share your lighting techniques ?

I'm finding a piece of white A4 is coming in very handy as a light!
I've cit a hole in the center and then hook it on the lens.
Then I hold the flash behind the camera at arms length. The paper then acts similar to a flash ring and casts a consistent light for the over head close up shots.

The Queen album, which wasn't my intention, was a home made snoot over the flash head to create a beam of light.

The rest are just playing with aperture and placement of the flash for light/ shadows.

Now as for copying, have you not read the news, ideas are now intellectual property so I'll have to take you to court :rules::bat::p

You will excuse me if I avoid your thread though, I wont want too much outside influence on my creativity, it's an artist thing:LOL:

Now as for copying, have you not read the news, ideas are now intellectual property so I'll have to take you to court :rules::bat::p

You will excuse me if I avoid your thread though, I wont want too much outside influence on my creativity, it's an artist thing:LOL:

Now that is just plain scary...not read the whole judgement but surely that could have consequences for all photographers ?

Back