16 days old (two more added)

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
No
So have been desperate to get a few beanbag shots done but a little lack of time meant that we spent Saturday trying. And don't you need patience! And that's coming from a fisherman! We had a few attempts throughout the day when she finally settled and between visitors :). I wanted something with her head propped up but that just didn't happen. I found it quite difficult to support her well enough. The other half doesn't like the naked baby look either so we ended up with some natural shots.

Maybe I'm a little too close to this but I keep thinking this is a little unexciting? The blanket that SWMBO preferred was this one, maybe it's a little too bland? Probably have another go at the weekend with another throw and some of the other wraps we have. See what you guys think...

PS. I did drop the background a little lower after I took the pullback shot and a few minor tweaks here and there, including an extra silver tri grip below her as my other half was sat blocking the reflector looking after our little girl.

Rosie%20amp%20Lawren%20Photoshoot-26-Edit_zpsryoedwbj.jpg

Rosie%20amp%20Lawren%20Photoshoot-6_zpsexe2fjs2.jpg

Last edited:
Not usually a big fan of posed baby stuff but this is pretty awesome. I really like the blanket here. The tones are really nice throughout, IMO of course. :)

looks great Kris, I think the muted tones really suit this style of image

Thanks Craig. We bought a myriad of colours which on Saturday, we dismissed all but two, especially the pink!

What a likkle luv.

Great shot mate. The pull back is really useful too.

Cheers mate. Pullbacks have been very helpful to me. Always shows how little room you have!

Perfection! :)

Thanks Bethy, high praise indeed :)

Not usually a big fan of posed baby stuff but this is pretty awesome. I really like the blanket here. The tones are really nice throughout, IMO of course. :)

Thank you very much Gaz. Really respect your work mate so thanks for the feedback. I prefer the brown/taupe colours myself too. Bought a lovely dark brown blanket (it's the one shown on the pullback actually) only for SWMBO to say, "there's a green hue to it......"

What an Excellent shot... and thanks for showing the pull back always really helpful to see setups. :D

Thanks Bryn, you're welcome.

Very nicely done Kris, agree that the tones of the blanket really work for this shot (so SWMBO was right...).

Cheers Ian. Yup, she's right.... well, on this occasion ;)

Great shot Kris, really nice pose, with lighting that compliments the subject, and very well exposed.(y)

"Nice touch to show the pullback".

George.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Gaz. Really respect your work mate so thanks for the feedback. I prefer the brown/taupe colours myself too. Bought a lovely dark brown blanket (it's the one shown on the pullback actually) only for SWMBO to say, "there's a green hue to it......"

Thank you for the kind words back. Much appreciated. :)

Beautiful little girl and fantastic take, a huge thanks for the pull back image, I'm only now touching on off camera flash and lighting setup and its always interesting to learn and see the results of the different setups.

Beautiful little girl and fantastic take, a huge thanks for the pull back image, I'm only now touching on off camera flash and lighting setup and its always interesting to learn and see the results of the different setups.

Thanks Nathan. It's a rewarding learning curve and these pullbacks helped me an awful lot at first.

Thanks allot Amanda.

On the new ones the first one think you need to lessen the brightness on camera RHS as my eye was drawn towards the feet rather than the face.

But they are both lovely images :D

On the new ones the first one think you need to lessen the brightness on camera RHS as my eye was drawn towards the feet rather than the face.

But they are both lovely images :D

Thanks Bryn. I spent quite some time with the second one and probably should have taken a break and come back to them, as you should ;)

Gorgeous little girl and the natural tones are very complimenting indeed.
Definitely worth the effort put in.

P.S congrats on your new addition

Really nice, Really natural. Like the first one bestest :) Another one whom thanks you for the pull back.

Gaz

Love these shots. The simple plain backgrounds and muted colours mimic the purity of the child. Lets hope the world she grow up in is a better one than ours.

Proping a baby head take practice but honestly its easy once you know how and once you have a few tricks on hand. To start with its all about stages. Small movements at a time giving the baby head a rock as it naturally settles into place.

Hand position makes a big difference to this so don't be afraid to lift up the head and simply sold the hand under pulling the arms forward and chin up. Even just a tiny lift can stop the face looking as squashed against the bean bag. Also having the babys head already elevated using a roll, small posing cushions or similar will make a big difference to the stability of the head. Don't forget aswel that many head up type shots are composite. Often i will just use a single finger to support the babies head even in basic head up shots, especially if the baby is having random movements or for head in hands the babies head is literally held up.

Out of these the first one is the best for sure. Nice natural pose. Don't be afraid of shadow on a newborn though.

Great work Mate

Proping a baby head take practice but honestly its easy once you know how and once you have a few tricks on hand. To start with its all about stages. Small movements at a time giving the baby head a rock as it naturally settles into place.

Hand position makes a big difference to this so don't be afraid to lift up the head and simply sold the hand under pulling the arms forward and chin up. Even just a tiny lift can stop the face looking as squashed against the bean bag. Also having the babys head already elevated using a roll, small posing cushions or similar will make a big difference to the stability of the head. Don't forget aswel that many head up type shots are composite. Often i will just use a single finger to support the babies head even in basic head up shots, especially if the baby is having random movements or for head in hands the babies head is literally held up.

Out of these the first one is the best for sure. Nice natural pose. Don't be afraid of shadow on a newborn though.

Great work Mate

Thanks for the tips Mark. I can see that it would be easy with a little more practice. As she is my first, it's all a little new, but it's getting easier by the day.

Thanks for the tips Mark. I can see that it would be easy with a little more practice. As she is my first, it's all a little new, but it's getting easier by the day.
These look great to me...my efforts (now have a four week old) didn't live up to these. Just couldn't get my daughter to sleep for long enough! Suspect I've missed the window for this kind of shot so will be thinking about other ideas (with a Christmas themed one next!)

How have you found getting photos now that your daughter's getting older?

Rosie was very restless on the day, we suffered exactly the same so ended up having the living room decked out all day where we had a go here and there. Haven't done anything much more since, other than some family shots for Christmas.

Did manage to finally order a couple of framed prints last night for the living room wall, so looking forward to seeing them, hopefully, this side of Christmas.

She's much more alert now for longer periods, and I can see her changing. Planning on doing a few more shoots over Christmas, just need to think of a theme.

She's much more alert now for longer periods, and I can see her changing. Planning on doing a few more shoots over Christmas, just need to think of a theme.
We're seeing that too.

Keep posting updates when you can - very interested to see how/what others do with their own in-home shots.

We're seeing that too.

Keep posting updates when you can - very interested to see how/what others do with their own in-home shots.

Will do Mark. I think the next 6 months will be the most challenging, photographically. The initial newborn shots were ideas we had, keeping it basic and natural but until she's moving around a bit it's going to be tricky to find the creativity. Time of the year won't help either so whatever we do, will probably be indoor.

Back