1Dx mkii or 5D mkiv?

nc_killie

POTY (Joint) 2016
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I am interested in wildlife / bird photography. Does anyone have any experience of comparing the two cameras? I have read the reviews but would like to hear the pros / cons from people who have used them both.

Cheers

Andy Rouse was at the loop yesterday using a 5D4 shooting low level aircraft. Now I totally understand the reason he would be doing it too.. He's being payed to test gear to the max and get images for, well this week it's Canon lol

You have to decide what's best for your shooting style and your budget..

Andy Rouse was at the loop yesterday using a 5D4 shooting low level aircraft. Now I totally understand the reason he would be doing it too.. He's being payed to test gear to the max and get images for, well this week it's Canon lol

You have to decide what's best for your shooting style and your budget..

Cannot recall when but he used to 'flagship' Nikon but has been a Canon guy for a while now AFAIK.

I tend to se a 'bit sceptical' when these guys are giving advicewhen they are sponsored in some way by the manufacturer. They are usually singing the praise of the latest and greatest.

I have both cameras and use both the same amount, they are both spectacular and the image quality is pretty much the same, the 1DXII taking a very slight edge. The 5DIV feels like a toy next to the 1DX and its also very quiet when shooting, the touch screen is fantastic, I use it all the time.

The 1DXII is way faster obviously and that could be useful for wildlife.

John,surely they are slightly different animals if low light or out and out speed is needed in the images you try for ,like bolting hares fast bifs etc then the 1D would be the choice to pick up,if you are working with slower frame rates or focal length challened for nature togging then surly the 5 series has the edge because of the pixel count. I haven't used either but have dreamed alot ,LMAO I feel it is the type of images that you usually go for that will be the biggest factor in making this choice. So analysing what you actually go out for might be the biggest factor governing your choice,they are tools for a job it's working out which is the best tool for what you do. Cool choice to have mate all the luck,which ever you go for,

Me I'd have the 1D: i'm so hampered by light levels and wanting to shoot late john ,so many of our wildlife subjects here are busy at dawn and dusk so often the light here in blighty is low especially through the winter,being able to really push iso and still get great IQ would be a huge thing personally,i'd imagine this situation prevades many folks thoughts here.that shoot nature

Can't wait to see the images john all the luck as always a beginners take ,no substance ,but much dreaming:D

Stu

I am with Stuart here ,i have the 1d mkiv and would be lost without it ,i make it work for me as its the only tool i have .
It realy does boil down to personal shooting ,my next upgrade is the 1dx mki and all that would give me over the mk4 is a slightly better AF system and i bit more on the iso front plus i can give up the 1.3 as i can can get close to my main subject,,plus i can buy a used 300mm 2.8 and a 1dx mki for what it would cost for a 1dmkii thats just my way of thinking ,it does boil down to what you can afford and if the camera you buy suits your style of shooting

John,surely they are slightly different animals if low light or out and out speed is needed in the images you try for ,like bolting hares fast bifs etc then the 1D would be the choice to pick up,if you are working with slower frame rates or focal length challened for nature togging then surly the 5 series has the edge because of the pixel count. I haven't used either but have dreamed alot ,LMAO I feel it is the type of images that you usually go for that will be the biggest factor in making this choice. So analysing what you actually go out for might be the biggest factor governing your choice,they are tools for a job it's working out which is the best tool for what you do. Cool choice to have mate all the luck,which ever you go for,

Me I'd have the 1D: i'm so hampered by light levels and wanting to shoot late john ,so many of our wildlife subjects here are busy at dawn and dusk so often the light here in blighty is low especially through the winter,being able to really push iso and still get great IQ would be a huge thing personally,i'd imagine this situation prevades many folks thoughts here.that shoot nature

Can't wait to see the images john all the luck as always a beginners take ,no substance ,but much dreaming:D

Stu

I am with Stuart here ,i have the 1d mkiv and would be lost without it ,i make it work for me as its the only tool i have .
It realy does boil down to personal shooting ,my next upgrade is the 1dx mki and all that would give me over the mk4 is a slightly better AF system and i bit more on the iso front plus i can give up the 1.3 as i can can get close to my main subject,,plus i can buy a used 300mm 2.8 and a 1dx mki for what it would cost for a 1dmkii thats just my way of thinking ,it does boil down to what you can afford and if the camera you buy suits your style of shooting

Thanks Guys - My wfe hit me with this,30 yr anniversary present! I am still trying to justify it - I can get blurry pictures with my 7D mkii, never nmind anything else. I am trying to justify the expense - anything to make my woife happy:). I woudl lean to teh 1D however it is difficult to justify the expense no matter what - I am cheap, you can take the boy out of Scotland but........

Get the 5D then, its a superb camera.

I got my 1DXII from Calumet for £5300

5DIV from Panamoz for £2500

Both image wise are near identical, I find the 1DXII is better in low light but only marginally. Its a hard choice to have but if money is even mentioned get the 5DIV.

I wouldn't like to have to chose (thats why I have them both) good luck.

Last edited:
I had a bit of a dilema this week ,5d mk4 or the 1dx i opted in the end for the 1dx
Life is full of making tough decisions!!
I look forward to seeing some of the results! Enjoy your new toy.

Crop sensor for birds.

Why?

I use the 1DX and 7D2 with 100-400 Mk2, 300 F2.8 L IS (with or without extenders) and the 800 F5.6 L IS. The occasions where the crop sensor is better are very few and far between!

I am interested in wildlife / bird photography. Does anyone have any experience of comparing the two cameras? I have read the reviews but would like to hear the pros / cons from people who have used them both.

Cheers

I use (mainly) the 1DX and would suggest that for "come what may" in any conditions the 1DX2 is the ultimate choice at present. Having said that, if the conditions are not quite so challenging, then the 5D4 will potentially give you as good if not better images.

The 1DX (Mk1 or 2) is all about speed and responsiveness under any and all conditions coupled with a high frame rate - if this is what you need then they are the tools for the job. If you have a little more time (fractions of a second), the light is acceptable and you don't need to bang in nails with your camera then the 5D4 is a great camera. I prefer a 1 series but that is just me, I like the extra responsiveness and control layout better along with the AF.

Another option to consider is that the 5D4 is somewhat less expensive - so what about a 5D4 and a 7D2? A nice combination that gives more options (though you would use the 5D4 whenever possible), gives you a backup - just in case and an extra camera in case the Mrs would like to try some shots? Beware of the last point - she may like photography! In that case you will have to spend lots of money and she will inevitably get better at it than you!

the more i read about it the more i would to upgrade my 5D3 to the 5D4 :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::cautious:

Crop for wildlife and full frame for poor light.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqc5jwR0uuw

So Tony N says so? Therefore you know the reverse must be the case!;)

I am not sitting watching the dubious opinions of some YouTube poster I am out using the cameras! If you want to believe Tony then that's fine but please don't spend your money without referring to more reliable sources.

Given that I have both formats, use both formats and shoot mainly birds I think that I may have some idea as to which is the better format overall, don't you?

Given that I have both formats, use both formats and shoot mainly birds I think that I may have some idea as to which is the better format overall, don't you?

You have both bodies ..that's what the OP asked for but not only that you happen to shoot the same subject as the OP and your not sponsored so no hidden agenda .. Your the perfect person to answer his questions... how lucky is he :)

You have both bodies ..that's what the OP asked for but not only that you happen to shoot the same subject as the OP and your not sponsored so no hidden agenda .. Your the perfect person to answer his questions... how lucky is he :)

....arm,leg &.......for sale!
Difficult to justify but my wife wants to buy it for me! Whats working for a few more years......

Thanks all for the input

....arm,leg &.......for sale!
Difficult to justify but my wife wants to buy it for me! Whats working for a few more years......

Thanks all for the input

One thing I forgot to ask is what lenses do you have for birds? Also what birds do you want to photograph?

For example a Heron is easy with a 2-300mm lens but a wren is difficult with an 800mm lens! Depending on what you already have and are willing to carry glass may be a better option than a camera body?

Just a thought.

Cheers John. I have lenses up to 500mm (+1.4Tc but rarely used), 500 & 100-400 are the main ones I use. I try and photograph everything avian with 7Dmkii but have to admit to being somewhat crap with BIF! Very few keepers, not sure if it is camera or me.

Cheers John. I have lenses up to 500mm (+1.4Tc but rarely used), 500 & 100-400 are the main ones I use. I try and photograph everything avian with 7Dmkii but have to admit to being somewhat crap with BIF! Very few keepers, not sure if it is camera or me.

You have some very nice gear there so I think the problem may be you - sorry!

BIF is a steep learning curve and I and I am on the first or second rung of the ladder = a long way to go! Keep practicing and the results will come.

I also use the 500 f4 and 100-400 with both 1dx mk2 and the 7d2, for me the extra reach of the 7d2 with the crop factor works only when the light is reasonably good. Here in the UK the 1dx mk2 has to be the go,to for wildlife if you have the means. Liw light performance, fantastic AF system , and pure frame rate significantly improve the keeper rate for BIF.

You have some very nice gear there so I think the problem may be you - sorry!

BIF is a steep learning curve and I and I am on the first or second rung of the ladder = a long way to go! Keep practicing and the results will come.

Me, me......how could it be me??? I am perfect, please ask my dog (not my wife) :mad:!!!

I am sure that many / most are due to me however I am convinced that some are not - I find the 7Dmkii sometimes hunts with focus especially in poor light . This is exacerbated when it is a bif. That is my justification for keeping the economy going!
....as for your conclusion I will remain in denial, and keep looking for the ladder!(y)

So 1 month later have you made your decision yet, we are all waiting?

I love my 1DXii for what it is worth but haven't got a 5Div to compare it to, just the 5Diii.

Me, me......how could it be me??? I am perfect, please ask my dog (not my wife) :mad:!!!

I am sure that many / most are due to me however I am convinced that some are not - I find the 7Dmkii sometimes hunts with focus especially in poor light . This is exacerbated when it is a bif. That is my justification for keeping the economy going!
....as for your conclusion I will remain in denial, and keep looking for the ladder!(y)

HeHe!

Even with a 1DX2 you will still miss some (inevitable!), you will miss a couple more with a 1DX (well I do) and a few more again with the 7D2. On the other hand these is a local photographer who is getting great BIF shots with his 6D.

A great AF system is a huge help but technique is very important too. I would naturally point you at the 1DX2 as it is, as far as I am concerned, the best camera in production. Having said that it is clear that the 5D4 is capable of better images under the right circumstances and is a lot cheaper. Decisions, decisions........

He moved over to Canon when they released the 1DX

If you track his career, he's used Canon, Pentax medium format, Nikon and now back to Canon. He defected to Nikon because they had just introduced their 200-400 f4 zoom and the AF on the Canon 1D mk3 didn't work well. He returned to Canon when the 1DX an the 200-400 F4 with built in extender were introduced

So 1 month later have you made your decision yet, we are all waiting?

I love my 1DXii for what it is worth but haven't got a 5Div to compare it to, just the 5Diii.

No! I have never spent this much on a camera before and still trying to justify it to myself!! Anniversary is in 2 weeks.........
A decider may have happened today when I missed a sparrowhawk......or was it me?

No! I have never spent this much on a camera before and still trying to justify it to myself!! Anniversary is in 2 weeks.........
A decider may have happened today when I missed a sparrowhawk......or was it me?

It is a BIG investment! Take your time and work out what is the best option for you. I think you should buy the X$@% Mk7 but that is only what I think. Others will suggest the Canikon 900 6D4 because it is great for them.

The only thing that I would strongly suggest is that you try the options and make YOUR decision - then don't worry about the cost, don't look back - just go out and enjoy it!

Happy choosing!

Wildlife birds get a 7d2 put a 150-600 sigma c on it and you have a really great set up. No need for tele converts.

Back