1st Family Session

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Hey Folks,

Here's a few photos from a recent family session I shot last month. The couple had spoken with a load of other photographers in the area and after a recommendation, they had a look at my website and got in touch. After a quick chat and bouncing some ideas about regarding location, they were happy to go ahead! Much to my delight, they are delighted with the results, and I'm pretty happy with them too.

I would appreciate any constructive feedback so I can improve for future shoots.

Any help, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Craig & Ally -22 by Chris Allan, on Flickr

Craig & Ally -19 by Chris Allan, on Flickr

Craig & Ally -27 by Chris Allan, on Flickr

Craig & Ally -46 by Chris Allan, on Flickr

Craig & Ally -48 by Chris Allan, on Flickr

Craig & Ally -65a by Chris Allan, on Flickr

Lovely natural shots you must have put them at ease. Can understand why they are very happy with them :)

The one of the little girl on the bench is beautiful.
+1

I appreciate the human element through these
takes of you and your family.

I would suggest a possibly more appropriate and
constant approach to rendition.

I think they are really lovley

+1

Yes, specially the "staged kiss" in the last take… the daughter
looking up is making the whole picture even more charming!

Lovely shots, my only crit would be in some of them (#3, 7, 9 & 10) you have (IMO) too much space above the heads of the subjects and an awkward crop at the bottom of shot.

Number 8 is totally charming, one to be very proud of.

Very nice, the bench shot is lovely. The only nit pick - being very picky but - is that as a set, there's a little inconsistent processing, first two and last two for example. You may have intended it but as a set i would keep consistent. Nevertheless, really great story telling.

Lovely natural shots you must have put them at ease. Can understand why they are very happy with them :)

Ahhhh. The one of the little girl on the bench is beautiful.

Good stuff mate.

I think they are really lovley

+1 - and so are some of indoor shots. I'm not sure about the staged kisses, though. Fun for one shot but perhaps not lots.

Really appreciate you positive comments folks, don't post on here often so its nice to get some good feedback!

Lovely shots, my only crit would be in some of them (#3, 7, 9 & 10) you have (IMO) too much space above the heads of the subjects and an awkward crop at the bottom of shot.

Number 8 is totally charming, one to be very proud of.

Yeah I see what you mean, one was deliberate (no.5), but something to consider in the future. I was conscious of framing when shooting, but something to be more cautious of in the future. Good observation. Cheers for the feedback!

Very nice, the bench shot is lovely. The only nit pick - being very picky but - is that as a set, there's a little inconsistent processing, first two and last two for example. You may have intended it but as a set i would keep consistent. Nevertheless, really great story telling.

Yeah I totally get you on that one! Without a doubt I need to brush up on consistency with my PP. Good observation, I like this type of feedback.

Yeah I totally get you on that one! Without a doubt I need to brush up on consistency with my PP. Good observation, I like this type of feedback.

No problem Chris. I've said it many a time, consistency is the element that we amateurs struggle with. It's the bit that I think sets pros apart and is difficult at times, especially when you have a mix of light.

Some cracking shots. Whilst I agree with the other about the girl on the bench, and the kiss with the girl looking up, my favourite is the first one. I love that shot, find it come across as very intimate. Nicely done.

Lovely set. The girl on the bench is very well composed, and agree with the consistency (one of things I struggle with also)

Some cracking shots. Whilst I agree with the other about the girl on the bench, and the kiss with the girl looking up, my favourite is the first one. I love that shot, find it come across as very intimate. Nicely done.

Thanks, appreciate it! :)

There is a feel good factor in all of these lovely photos. I can not pin point which one I like most as I love the whole set.

These are fabulous. All of them.
I try and look at images as a non-photographer. It's difficult to do but it helps my photography also.
If i was looking at these as the family, i would be absolutely thrilled. They are going to cherish these forever.
Really well done.

p.s. the little girl is a superstar, very natural and photogenic

Last edited:
There is a feel good factor in all of these lovely photos. I can not pin point which one I like most as I love the whole set.

I really am blown away with the amount of positive comments. Again, appreciated.

These are fabulous. All of them.
I try and look at images as a non-photographer. It's difficult to do but it helps my photography also.
If i was looking at these as the family, i would be absolutely thrilled. They are going to cherish these forever.
Really well done.

p.s. the little girl is a superstar, very natural and photogenic

Thanks you for your kind words! The little girl "Lilly" LOVED the camera. In fact included in the feedback the mother commented on how much Lilly said she enjoyed herself!

You've obviously done your research and put the time in before taking on this shoot and it shows in the images. Bet the family are really chuffed.

You've obviously done your research and put the time in before taking on this shoot and it shows in the images. Bet the family are really chuffed.

Yeah I took them in the Leith area of Edinburgh and although I had lived in the area for years and knew Leith Links pretty well, I still made a point of going a walk about the area and looking at it from a photographers point of view, it really helped imo. Yeah they were chuffed! Cheers again for the positive comments.

Fab Fab fab ! 1st and last are my faves. Bask in the glory fella you derserve it ;-)

Gaz

Back